non-trad I guess (...crazy!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggiesmallsiz1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
haven't been on this site in over 2 years, sheesh.

graduated from top 20 school magna cum laude in 2009 (so...3.75+, but < 3.8)
also was a transfer (spent freshman year at another school, but that was a top 30 schooll)

Overall GPA (using amcas calcuations) = 3.72ish
Science GPA = 3.62ish
MCAT take 1 (2008) = 31
MCAT take 2 (2009) = 35
Major: Economics.
i.e magic number = 71.5 (ish)

applied to med school after my senior year of undergrad (2009), didn't get in. so, reapplicant for 2013 entry. yes, that's 4 years. i was a cock and only applied to 2 schools at that time. going to cast a wider net now.

got a masters in health management right after (from NYU) = 3.75+

pretty decent ec's = 2nd author on a research publication, set up / ran a hospital in a 3rd world country, everything else standard premed stuff.

currently: working at a top tier consulting firm doing healthcare management consulting (does salary matter? if so, lets say its up there, so med school isn't about the money)

in-state in NC.

constructive criticism please!! do i have a shot at a top school? NYU? USC? Stanford? JHU? UNC?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
haven't been on this site in over 2 years, sheesh.

graduated from top 20 school magna cum laude in 2009 (so...3.75+, but < 3.8)
also was a transfer (spent freshman year at another school, but that was a top 30 schooll)

Overall GPA (using amcas calcuations) = 3.72ish
Science GPA = 3.62ish
MCAT take 1 (2008) = 31
MCAT take 2 (2009) = 35
Major: Economics.
i.e magic number = 71.5 (ish)

applied to med school after my senior year of undergrad (2009), didn't get in. so, reapplicant for 2013 entry. yes, that's 4 years. i was a cock and only applied to 2 schools at that time. going to cast a wider net now.

got a masters in health management right after (from NYU) = 3.75+

pretty decent ec's = 2nd author on a research publication, set up / ran a hospital in a 3rd world country, everything else standard premed stuff.

currently: working at a top tier consulting firm doing healthcare management consulting (does salary matter? if so, lets say its up there, so med school isn't about the money)

in-state in NC.

constructive criticism please!! do i have a shot at a top school? NYU? USC? Stanford? JHU? UNC?

:eek:

Things look good. You definitely present as a unique candidate. You do have a (good) shot at top 20 - but applying to a few safeties never hurt anyone.

Good lcuk.

You should also check if your MCAT hasn't expired already..I am not sure about the timeline but I heard it is 3 years for some schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly entails setting up and running a hospital? Your definition and the definition used by ADCOMs may be very different and might seem boastful if your "setting up and running a hospital" is any less than their standard.

You only applied to 2 schools that explains it, you should plan on applying to at least 15 schools this time around if not 20.

You should also check if your MCAT hasn't expired already..I am not sure about the timeline but I heard it is 3 years for some schools.

august 2009. that's definitely within the 3 years i hope

regarding setting up a hospital, i won't go into details. it's a pretty unique experience so i don't want to ruin the anonymity. but hint, there was an earthquake not too long ago. but if you think about what a hospital needs...i.e organizational structure, health records, personnel management, medical inventory management, patient management, etc.....you can safely assume i encompassed that in my definition ;)

solid work. i think you should definitely apply broadly.

reasons:
1) you never know exactly which school will fit you best, until you go and visit. Unless you're a status freak and only care about harvard bc it's harvard.
2) obviously increases your odds of getting into a school
3) since you already make enough money, i can't see a monetary issue with applying to even 10 schools.

not sure of your clinical exp, but that might be something you could say you've "improved on" over the years. you're going to med school to be a clinician i'm guessing, so i think it's good to reemphasize that, despite your impressive background in healthcare mgmt.

again, great work!

you're going to med school to be a clinician i'm guessing, so i think it's good to reemphasize that, despite your impressive background in healthcare mgmt.

again, great work!

actually this is a very interesting line. how many people do you think end up going to med school intending to do other things with their MD? i.e go the management/policy/banking/consulting route? In my current job I meet so many doctors that decided to quit practicing and instead do something business related. Do you think this perspective that MD = clinical is changing?

august 2009. that's definitely within the 3 years i hope

regarding setting up a hospital, i won't go into details. it's a pretty unique experience so i don't want to ruin the anonymity. but hint, there was an earthquake not too long ago. but if you think about what a hospital needs...i.e organizational structure, health records, personnel management, medical inventory management, patient management, etc.....you can safely assume i encompassed that in my definition ;)
You will want to check...some schools want it 3 year within applying, some want it 3 years within matriculating. Some I believe are 2 years. Definitely check with the schools you are interested in, as if you decide to retake, starting prep now would probably be best.

You will want to check...some schools want it 3 year within applying, some want it 3 years within matriculating. Some I believe are 2 years. Definitely check with the schools you are interested in, as if you decide to retake, starting prep now would probably be best.

lol thank you but no thank you, this is terrible advice. I took the 2nd mcat in august 2009...i am 100% sure no school will reject my app because of this.

lol thank you but no thank you, this is terrible advice. I took the 2nd mcat in august 2009...i am 100% sure no school will reject my app because of this.
Are you applying next cycle? Some schools are 2 years, some define 3 years differently than others. If you aren't interested in any schools that have a shorter limit, that is fine, but if you have certain schools in mind, you would be a fool not to check with them about their specific policy. Up to you. Note that I didn't say "you have to retake, it is too old!!" I simply said check with the schools you are interested in. Don't see how anyone could view that as bad advice, lol.

actually this is a very interesting line. how many people do you think end up going to med school intending to do other things with their MD? i.e go the management/policy/banking/consulting route? In my current job I meet so many doctors that decided to quit practicing and instead do something business related. Do you think this perspective that MD = clinical is changing?
With physician shortages you think what they want is to create businessmen? Come on, son.

Seeker is definitely correct on this one and how their suggestion is considered "terrible" advice is beyond me. The below is a quote directly from AAMC. You better make sure for each of the schools you're looking at

"Medical schools usually accept scores dating back two or three years. If you have taken the exam previously, we recommend that you check the application policies of each school to which you intend to apply."

The salary comment above gave me suspicion but this fully proves that you are a dick. Hide that in interviews or you won't get in anywhere.

seeker4, I apologize. looks like school policies have changed over the past few years. interesting. your last line "...starting prepping now would be best" threw me off. not exactly like im sitting around jerking it and trying to strengthen my application. i work 70-75 hours a week, and i have no time.

ppfizenm, course I'm a dick, but thats ok. i'm not retaking the mcat, **** that. i'll apply to the schools that still consider my score to be valid and if i don't get in, well, I don't get in!