Non-trad applicant, kind of stuck, not sure how to move forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jelly1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a non-trad applicant and also a re-applicant. Three years ago I applied to medical school and did not get in. I lost motivation and hope that I'll ever go to med school and so I decided to delay reapplying. I worked for 4 years in the lab while doing masters in MPH...Thinking back, I was definitely not ready to apply then. I did not know a lot about how to approach the mcat and the intense application process but I did anyway thinking I could get through it.... Anyway, this time I want to do it correctly and...

This year I finally decided to pursue applying again. I just took the mcat and waiting for the result at the moment. The past years while I was working, I did a lot of volunteers in hospitals and hospice as well... I am about to start the PAVERS program at NYU and doing research at NYU until summer 2019... I need some advice... at this point, I am not sure of my chances to get in. I would appreciate any advice

I am really anxious about the whole application and I am thinking of getting consulting services.. does anyone have experience doing the consulting service for medical school application?

My other worry is that I have been out of school for a long time (graduated 2014), I only have one good connection left from undergrad professors, a lot of them retired and left. This is another worry I have because I know most medical school ask for two science undergrad professor, any advice on this matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
This year I finally decided to pursue applying again. I just took the mcat and waiting for the result at the moment. The past years while I was working, I did a lot of volunteers in hospitals and hospice as well... I am about to start the PAVERS program at NYU and doing research at NYU until summer 2019... I need some advice... at this point, I am not sure of my chances to get in. I would appreciate any advice

It's good you have volunteering and hospice for your application. Have you done any shadowing? Do you have research publications? What is your undergrad GPA and UG science GPA?

I am really anxious about the whole application and I am thinking of getting consulting services.. does anyone have experience doing the consulting service for medical school application? My other worry is that I have been out of school for a long time (graduated 2014), I only have one good connection left from undergrad professors, a lot of them retired and left. This is another worry I have because I know most medical school ask for two science undergrad professor, any advice on this matter?

I didn't use consultants so I can't recommend for or against them. I was out of school for a long time before I went back and did a DIY postbacc. I didn't have a premed advisor (a lot of people debate their worth anyway) and I didn't have a committee letter. I did have good LORs from recent science professors. Who do you have for letters of recommendation? If you are doing research at a university is there any chance you can take a class or two that will enhance your application and give you an opportunity to get an undergrad science LOR?

It's good you have volunteering and hospice for your application. Have you done any shadowing? Do you have research publications? What is your undergrad GPA and UG science GPA?

I didn't use consultants so I can't recommend for or against them. I was out of school for a long time before I went back and did a DIY postbacc. I didn't have a premed advisor (a lot of people debate their worth anyway) and I didn't have a committee letter. I did have good LORs from recent science professors. Who do you have for letters of recommendation? If you are doing research at a university is there any chance you can take a class or two that will enhance your application and give you an opportunity to get an undergrad science LOR?

Hello,
Yes I have some shadowing experience in the emergency room, I shadowed a GI doctor and then I am doing the NYU PAVERS which is kind of a volunteer program where you get to assist patient and get exposure with practitioners in the ER. I do not have any research publication.
I graduated with a science GPA , and undergrad GPA both 3.9.

I intended to ask manager, supervisor from working at clinical laboratory, 1 science professor from undergrad and maybe people I worked with in my volunteers... Somebody advise my against it because my GPA is already really good so I decided to move away from that but do you think it will help me significantly if I do so?

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your previous mcat score? A lot of people take a gap year or two and you are right at the median matriculant age if you completed ug in 2014.

What was your previous mcat score? A lot of people take a gap year or two and you are right at the median matriculant age if you completed ug in 2014.

I got a 28 in the old test...
Yes, so I've been out of undergrad for 5 years when I apply next year. Is that too long?
I only have 1 professor from undergrad whom I think can give me a great recommendation letter .. does this look bad?

Yes, so I've been out of undergrad for 5 years when I apply next year. Is that too long?
I only have 1 professor from undergrad whom I think can give me a great recommendation letter .. does this look bad?
so the 5 years thing is not a problem. many people have been out for a decade or so.

You do need LORS. You might have to take some classes just to get those three letters TBH if you cant get good ones right now.
Maybe @gonnif can give some good advice on the LOR issue.

Did you apply to DO schools previously? are you ok with attending DO schools?

so the 5 years thing is not a problem. many people have been out for a decade or so.

You do need LORS. You might have to take some classes just to get those three letters TBH if you cant get good ones right now.
Maybe @gonnif can give some good advice on the LOR issue.

Did you apply to DO schools previously? are you ok with attending DO schools?

I can great recommendations from supervisors (worked at clinical lab) and volunteer and research coordinators I previously worked with. Could I use those instead?
Yes I am planning to apply to DO/ MD schools...

I can great recommendations from supervisors (worked at clinical lab) and volunteer and research coordinators I previously worked with. Could I use those instead?
Yes I am planning to apply to DO/ MD schools...
Schools are sticklers for this, some may allow you to , but most wont review your app until you have the required letters which I think is two science letters and one humanities.

Schools are sticklers for this, some may allow you to , but most wont review your app until you have the required letters which I think is two science letters and one humanities.

I see. Thank you for your feedback. I am thinking of maybe taking a class or two classes as a non-matriculant. So that I can get a recommendation professors.

Please keep in mind that this is anecdotal, as most advice is on SDN, so take it with a grain of salt.

I am also a non-trad. I applied back in 2015 and was discouraged after not getting in the first time but was just recently accepted after retaking the MCAT. I think you're in great shape, your gpa is fantastic and if you score around the equivalent to a 28 on the MCAT, you should be good to go most if not all DO schools and I'm sure some MD.

I am probably repeating what someone has already said, but the letters are important. Most schools ask for at least 2 LORs from science professors. I think your plan of taking classes and asking for LORs will be fine. Best of luck to you!!

Please keep in mind that this is anecdotal, as most advice is on SDN, so take it with a grain of salt.

I am also a non-trad. I applied back in 2015 and was discouraged after not getting in the first time but was just recently accepted after retaking the MCAT. I think you're in great shape, your gpa is fantastic and if you score around the equivalent to a 28 on the MCAT, you should be good to go most if not all DO schools and I'm sure some MD.

I am probably repeating what someone has already said, but the letters are important. Most schools ask for at least 2 LORs from science professors. I think your plan of taking classes and asking for LORs will be fine. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you for sharing your story and advice! Did you take retake classes for recommendation also? and do you have any more advice as a reapplicant?

Thank you for sharing your story and advice! Did you take retake classes for recommendation also? and do you have any more advice as a reapplicant?

No problem! And no I didn´t retake any classes so unfortunately I can´t really comment on that. But it sounds like a good idea to maybe take a science course at an undergrad institution and try to build a relationship with the professor early on to ask for an LOR if you need another undergrad science professor LOR; If that is a possibility. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that.

Not to bore you with a bunch of details, but my biggest obstacle was the MCAT. Test anxiety was never a thing for me until that test and I thought it was just an obstacle I couldn't overcome. I finally decided that I would regret it all my life if I didn't bite the bullet and just go for it. My advice would be just be yourself as cliché as that sounds. I completely changed my personal statement this time around. The first time I wrote it, I did a bunch of research about what I thought adcoms wanted to hear and it came out very technical. This time, I shared a personal story and just spoke from the heart. Obviously there are some things that you need to include and points you need to make, but make sure it comes from you. Try to communicate why this is what you want and how the sweat, blood, and tears you have shed to get to this point of applying to medical school have made you a better person and how you are going to be an amazing doctor because of it.

One last suggestion is to apply broadly(again this is probably something you have heard before). A GPA of 3.9 and a 28(about a 504 if you get around the same score with your retake) on the MCAT are great. Like I said, you have a shot at most if not all DO schools and I´m sure a good number of MD schools. But schools look for different things and I have no idea how it all works. Even where I got accepted, I know people that were rejected with much higher stats than me, that´s just how the game works I guess. So cast as big of a net out as you can.

Again, these are just my experiences and my own opinions. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
No problem! And no I didn´t retake any classes so unfortunately I can´t really comment on that. But it sounds like a good idea to maybe take a science course at an undergrad institution and try to build a relationship with the professor early on to ask for an LOR if you need another undergrad science professor LOR; If that is a possibility. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in on that.

Not to bore you with a bunch of details, but my biggest obstacle was the MCAT. Test anxiety was never a thing for me until that test and I thought it was just an obstacle I couldn't overcome. I finally decided that I would regret it all my life if I didn't bite the bullet and just go for it. My advice would be just be yourself as cliché as that sounds. I completely changed my personal statement this time around. The first time I wrote it, I did a bunch of research about what I thought adcoms wanted to hear and it came out very technical. This time, I shared a personal story and just spoke from the heart. Obviously there are some things that you need to include and points you need to make, but make sure it comes from you. Try to communicate why this is what you want and how the sweat, blood, and tears you have shed to get to this point of applying to medical school have made you a better person and how you are going to be an amazing doctor because of it.

One last suggestion is to apply broadly(again this is probably something you have heard before). A GPA of 3.9 and a 28(about a 504 if you get around the same score with your retake) on the MCAT are great. Like I said, you have a shot at most if not all DO schools and I´m sure a good number of MD schools. But schools look for different things and I have no idea how it all works. Even where I got accepted, I know people that were rejected with much higher stats than me, that´s just how the game works I guess. So cast as big of a net out as you can.

Again, these are just my experiences and my own opinions. Good luck to you!

Hello,
Thank you so much for sharing your story! Did not bore me at all! Hearing this really inspires me as you know that going through this journey especially as a non-traditional applicant is really difficult and could be lonely sometimes.

I will definitely think about retaking 1 science class but if I can get atleast 2 science professor from my undergrad, I probably won't.
I am really glad to hear what you said about the personal statement, i think sometimes i get too technical also. I will definitely take your advice and remember it when i write my personal essay.

In terms of stats, crossing fingers.... I really hope I did well also. It seems like that from what you said, choosing where to apply should be a strategy also...when I search and choose school, do you suggest that I look at the mean mcat and gpa and only apply to those that seems within reasonable range of my gpa and mcat?

Hello,
Thank you so much for sharing your story! Did not bore me at all! Hearing this really inspires me as you know that going through this journey especially as a non-traditional applicant is really difficult and could be lonely sometimes.

I will definitely think about retaking 1 science class but if I can get atleast 2 science professor from my undergrad, I probably won't.
I am really glad to hear what you said about the personal statement, i think sometimes i get too technical also. I will definitely take your advice and remember it when i write my personal essay.

In terms of stats, crossing fingers.... I really hope I did well also. It seems like that from what you said, choosing where to apply should be a strategy also...when I search and choose school, do you suggest that I look at the mean mcat and gpa and only apply to those that seems within reasonable range of my gpa and mcat?

For sure. It is a very long road but well worth it!

I can tell you how I chose the schools that I applied to but again, please remember that this is just one person´s experience. Definitely get advice from different sources and go with your gut. But as far as how I went about it, I selected schools based on mean gpa/mcat and mission for the most part. A lot of my background is giving service to underserved populations, so I went with schools that had that same mission. I mostly tried to be realistic and go with schools that were in line with my gpa and mcat while adding a couple dream schools based on where I would prefer to live. But at the end of the day, I just want to be a doctor and I was willing to go where they would take me. Everyone´s financial situation is different, but I would definitely apply to as many as you can. For me, when all was said and done, I ended up getting interviews at 3 schools that had the GPA and MCAT averages that were around the same as mine and 1 school that had an MCAT average significantly above what I got but I feel that I fit very well with their mission. So in the end you never know I guess. Anyways, I hope that helps!

Hello,

thank you and yes that definitely helps. I think that your advice will definitely help me when I choose schools to apply to.
I will definitely keep it in mind. I am still waiting for my mcat score and so I cannot really do my research too much yet!
I get different advice from people.. Some of them are really discouraging telling me as if I do not have a chance. But hearing from guys like you really help me.

Thanks