Non-resident US Citizen Chances for Dental Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Purple99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am finishing off my sophomore year (at Western university in Canada), and was wondering what options I have for dental schools in the US.

I am a US citizen (but not a resident of any state because my family moved away years ago). I am also a Canadian citizen, but considering my gpa (of about a 3.7) I don't think I have a chance at Canadian dental schools.

Questions:
1) When I'm applying to any US school would I be considered an International applicant or a US applicant?
2) If I am considered a US applicant would I be counted as an out-of-state applicant?
3) What are some US schools I should apply to that would be in my favor?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1) When I'm applying to any US school would I be considered an International applicant or a US applicant?
- US applicant
2) If I am considered a US applicant would I be counted as an out-of-state applicant?
- If you can’t establish residency at any state you’ll be considered out-of-state for all schools
3) What are some US schools I should apply to that would be in my favor?
- With your GPA of 3.7 and a decent DAT, you should have a good chance at any school that you apply to. Maybe more so at private schools that don’t care about your state residency.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
I know ADEA is trying to get Canadian schools to be more collaborative with American schools on AADSAS, so who knows. You probably are in contact with a few people (hopefully in admissions) at the DS at Western U (I still think UWO... hard habit since there is a Western U at Pomona CA). Do some networking to gauge your chances at Canadian-friendly US schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’d have to do some digging around to see if you could qualify as an in-state applicant where you previously lived in the US. If so, bonus - as you could apply to the state schools there. If not, I would look into schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year. I know that University at Buffalo is one of them (could be close to home).

Also, being an American citizen with your GPA, I would absolutely take a shot at some Canadian schools. It is extremely competitive for Canadian applicants. To your benefit, however, a handful of seats are reserved at Canadian schools (UofT and Dalhousie that I know of) for American applicants, and it is not nearly as competitive. You’d have a really good shot, dependent upon a decent DAT and extracurriculars being in order.

That brings up another concern - whether to write the Canadian or American DAT. Writing the American DAT would of course cover your bases for American schools, but Canadian schools might expect you to have written the Canadian one as you reside in Canada. At the same time, not all American schools accept the Canadian DAT.

Shoot me a message if you have any more questions.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

@CanuckKID that's interesting, but I can't find anything about seats being reserved for American applicants. It would definitely be amazing for me if they did have it but maybe it's changed now.

You’d have to do some digging around to see if you could qualify as an in-state applicant where you previously lived in the US. If so, bonus - as you could apply to the state schools there. If not, I would look into schools that offer in-state tuition after the first year. I know that University at Buffalo is one of them (could be close to home).

Also, being an American citizen with your GPA, I would absolutely take a shot at some Canadian schools. It is extremely competitive for Canadian applicants. To your benefit, however, a handful of seats are reserved at Canadian schools (UofT and Dalhousie that I know of) for American applicants, and it is not nearly as competitive. You’d have a really good shot, dependent upon a decent DAT and extracurriculars being in order.

That brings up another concern - whether to write the Canadian or American DAT. Writing the American DAT would of course cover your bases for American schools, but Canadian schools might expect you to have written the Canadian one as you reside in Canada. At the same time, not all American schools accept the Canadian DAT.

Shoot me a message if you have any more questions.
I didn't think there were specific seats for American applicants? Is this true? I thought they evaluate all applicants the same regardless of citizenship.