This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ssdvmpfc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Not to post another one of those, but I wanted an opinion on whether I am picking the right application strategy vis-a-vis applications for md/phd programs:
I am currently finishing up a post-baccalaureate fellowship at a top University. - Total of 4.5 yrs research experience ( 2.5 yrs undergrad plus 3 summers including a senior thesis and 2 years full time). Three posters + one pre-submission second author paper and another paper in prep
100 hours clinical shadowing, 2 years volunteering at a state home for children + science outreach,
Graduated from a liberal arts college with GPA : 3.848, sGPA - 3.84, Double major : Neuroscience and Arabic L&L, MCAT - score hasn't arrived ( practice test was 516)
3 solid recommendation letters ( Should I submit more recommendations ? - I can find another good recommender )
My MD/PHD list is :
Washington University St. Louis
Dartmouth, Giesel School of Med
Yale School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
Northwestern University Medical School
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Minnesota Medical School
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Columbia University
Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering
Penn State College of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Baylor College of Medicine
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
University of Virginia Health System
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Kentucky
University of Connecticut
Boston University

What are my chances ? Should I also apply to MD programs or do you think that I will be in a good place with these MD/PHD programs ? Are they any schools I should add or remove ?

Members don't see this ad.

Md/PhD as international is extremely hard. This is because a lot of programs are only able to provide funding to US Citizens and permanent residents. I would definitely apply MD as well because there are 0 guarantees for MD/PhD. Go to the Md/PhD website of all of the programs you listed and triple check that you are eligible for funding.

International MD is also pretty damn tough. Not impossible, but tough. Hopefully your McAT comes back as a 518 or better

Reactions: 1 user
As Lucca said, definitely apply MD, not just MD/PhD. You'll be competing against a lot of scary Americans with published publications.

I'd remove Chicago, Northwestern, Minnesota, Baylor, UTSW and Connecticut as they're not international friendly.