Nobel Peace Prize

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Raleigh

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would someone like Malala Youzafsai - with a 3.8/520 and 400 hours of clinical volunteering plus fifty hours of shadowing - be considered one of the strongest applicants in medical school history?

Members don't see this ad.

Sure...?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, Malala started a nonprofit with a staff of 24 and grants of $4 million per year. Certainly winning a Nobel Peace Prize counts as beyond-stellar nonclinical volunteering: if that's not extraordinary service, what is?

@Walter Raleigh....are....are you Malala?
No. That would be wild, to have someone with a life story like that posting here; she's overcome a great deal of adversity and deserves every acceptance she gets, if she chooses to become a physician. With decent grades and MCAT scores - figure 3.6/510 or better - she could be competitive anywhere, I think. Maybe she could even get into Harvard with a 505.

Would someone like Malala Youzafsai - with a 3.8/520 and 400 hours of clinical volunteering plus fifty hours of shadowing - be considered one of the strongest applicants in medical school history?
:beat: :bang: :bang: :bang::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

Reactions: 4 users
you are my favorite poster here

She has not attended a US or Canadian institution of higher learning so she would be the weakest candidate at this point... I know of no school that would consider her. If she were to earn 90 credits at a US institution and take the MCAT, she'd still need to be able to tell us "why medicine" in a convincing way.

Reactions: 10 users
Gosh, she hasn't even been in a leadership role of her pre-med interest club right? No "school research day" poster presentations... It'll be an uphill battle but I think with some hard work and if she applies broadly she'll be okay.

Reactions: 6 users
Since we're throwing out ridiculous hypotheticals, Iwould say Jesus would be a stronger applicant. Not only is He the Son of God, he can drive out demons and walk on water. Not to mention he's awesome at parties when you run out of wine. Plus, being a divine being has it's perks. GPA of 6.0, MCAT 600.

Community service/volunteering? Check. He died to save everyone's sins.
Leadership? Check. He created the world and universe.
Research? Duh. He discovered how to give the blind their eyesight back.
Number of hours volunteering? Infinity.

A shoo in I tells ya. But I think the astronaut navy seal at Harvard comes a close second.

Reactions: 19 users
Since we're throwing out ridiculous hypotheticals, Iwould say Jesus would be a stronger applicant. Not only is He the Son of God, he can drive out demons and walk on water. Not to mention he's awesome at parties when you run out of wine. Plus, being a divine being has it's perks. GPA of 6.0, MCAT 600.

A shoo in I tells ya. But I think the astronaut navy seal at Harvard comes a close second.

Has he published his findings?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The Bible hasn’t been peer reviewed since the 15th century. Needs a revaluation.
Revaluation is a process of assessing or adjusting a value. I don't think it needs that. It is the most valuable book for millions of people without the need for peer review.

Or maybe you meant re-evaluation.

Reactions: 1 users
Revaluation is a process of assessing or adjusting a value. I don't think it needs that. It is the most valuable book for millions of people without the need for peer review.

Or maybe you meant re-evaluation.
Yup, Siri didn’t like the double ee and hyphen in re-evaluation I guess...Speech to text is still getting stronger, I guess

Well, Malala started a nonprofit with a staff of 24 and grants of $4 million per year. Certainly winning a Nobel Peace Prize counts as beyond-stellar nonclinical volunteering: if that's not extraordinary service, what is?

Didn’t know who this person is and I’ve looked her up since. Too bad she doesn’t have a degree here. Schools won’t consider her.

USA schools weren’t around during his time. Not having a degree here means he is out of the running.

Reactions: 3 users

Malala is on the cover of magazines and has influence. That is an accomplishment greater than a 4.0 and a 528. Nobody has a clue who the best medical school applicant was or is and nobody would care.

I don't understand why you think going to medical school is the greatest accomplishment one can achieve.

People like a Malala don't go to medical school like us little people. People like Malala try to make change in the world and that will always be more impressive than a 4.0 and a 528.

Reactions: 10 users
Seems pretty shady, just wait til the AdCom's catch wind of this...
Come to think of it, there are like 4 or 5 books in the bible that are just straight up letters between Jesus's peers. It checks out for 1st century Peer Review.

Reactions: 4 users
Jesus: the original god tier applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
If resurrected, he's certainly redeemed himself. Superb "overcoming adversity" story.

If resurrected, he's certainly redeemed himself. Superb "overcoming adversity" story.
And letters of recommendation note, "walks on water".
On the negative side, appears to have cured leprosy, blindness, lameness, insanity, and coma without any medical credential or oversight. Might want to leave these off of the application.

On the negative side, appears to have cured leprosy, blindness, lameness, insanity, and coma without any medical credential or oversight. Might want to leave these off of the application.
"M, Lizzy et. al. (2019, March 13). The Rigors of the Medical School Admissions Process: A Comparative Analysis of the Competitiveness of Jesus; Student Doctor Network: PreMed Forum. 286(1): 13-29. doi:John 3:16"

Reactions: 6 users

Don’t forget death. He cured someone of death. He practiced in a time before medical schools, so I think He gets a pass. ;)

On the other hand, "medical credential and oversight" didn't exactly exist in the first century AD. Perhaps Jesus could have created medical licensing boards if not for his untimely death at the hands of Pontius Pilate.

On the other hand, "medical credential and oversight" didn't exactly exist in the first century AD. Perhaps Jesus could have created medical licensing boards if not for his untimely death at the hands of Pontius Pilate.
Forget the LCME. He's got the JCME.

*Jesus Committee on Medical Education intstead of Liason...for those who don't get the joke.

Truly I tell you, he is a god tier applicant.

Status
Not open for further replies.