Coursework & Fieldwork No physics before Kinesiology (Pre-OT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skywalking1990

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. The OT schools I applied to do not require Physics as a pre-req for the program. However, it is a recommended course for one of the schools. I have never taken physics and math is not a subject I am good at all. I have take pre-calc many years ago. NOTE: I have done pretty well in biology and chemistry courses.

I do see Kinesiology as a course that is taken in the OT program. Will I be at a disadvantage? Is there any physics related math involved in the course? Should this course be a deal breaker for me before starting the program? I will appreciate your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BTW, I am not even certain if there will be any physics in this course so please someone help me out

Members don't see this ad :)
Nahhh don’t think it’s a dealbreaker especially since physics isn’t required by the program. I'm sure it's recommended because having a background in physics would help with the terminology and understanding concepts. Physics/kinesiology related math would be a lot of algebra and geometry, so you might need to do a little extra studying on your own compared to someone with a background in physics, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker at all.

Only need to know real basic math stuff. For eval/assessment classes.

Only need to know real basic math stuff. For eval/assessment classes.
ah thanks! that does help me out a bit. TBH-even basic math scares me at this point..it has been 6 years since I have even done any sort of math..

But glad it won't be a large part of the course...nervous but still reassured thnx!

GEOMETRY & ALGEBRA that terrifies me haha it been years and years since I even touched those subjects---> :O(

Nahhh don’t think it’s a dealbreaker especially since physics isn’t required by the program. I'm sure it's recommended because having a background in physics would help with the terminology and understanding concepts. Physics/kinesiology related math would be a lot of algebra and geometry, so you might need to do a little extra studying on your own compared to someone with a background in physics, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker at all.

I just finished Biomechanics at my college. It required knowing the origins and insertions of the major muscles on the body. That’s probably the most intense thing. There are some formulas that will end up being needed to calculate the angles of the body, but if you have a good professor, they should be able to instruct you on what you need to know. I took this as a sociology major when everyone was an exercise science major.. and still made a good grade in the class.

ah this makes me feel a whole lot better thank you

I just finished Biomechanics at my college. It required knowing the origins and insertions of the major muscles on the body. That’s probably the most intense thing. There are some formulas that will end up being needed to calculate the angles of the body, but if you have a good professor, they should be able to instruct you on what you need to know. I took this as a sociology major when everyone was an exercise science major.. and still made a good grade in the class.

I just finished kines, and never took a physics class. I didnt really see the point of some programs requiring it. There was like 1 chapter briefly like physics based specifically, like gravity and levers and stuff but i had a great professor and didnt feel like i needed to have taken any physics lol. We also had very basic math problems for what seemed like super confusing qustions but it wasnt bad. Main thing was to know origin and insertions like someone else said