No Org Labs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowonder

Dr, lover, runner, policy wonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to scheduling issues I have not been able to take the Organic Labs either semester I took the lecture. Labs were during the day when I work. Seems like the vast majority of schools explicitly say the lab is required (my local school however does not). But I am wondering if other schools ever waive that requirement? I have a fairly good resume otherwise, and I'm wondering if schools I even need bother applying to those that state the requirement?

Specifically if anyone knows if Georgetown would waive? Would like to know before I waste my time/money on secondaries.

Should I just call and ask? I'm wondering if I'm going to just get a dept sec that would say "no" because it's stated offically.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Due to scheduling issues I have not been able to take the Organic Labs either semester I took the lecture. Labs were during the day when I work. Seems like the vast majority of schools explicitly say the lab is required (my local school however does not). But I am wondering if other schools ever waive that requirement? I have a fairly good resume otherwise, and I'm wondering if schools I even need bother applying to those that state the requirement?

Specifically if anyone knows if Georgetown would waive? Would like to know before I waste my time/money on secondaries.

Should I just call and ask? I'm wondering if I'm going to just get a dept sec that would say "no" because it's stated offically.

Thanks.

Yes.

The only exceptions I have ever heard of involve applicants from schools that do not offer labs, but that is not your case, and I don't know how many med schools would waive the requirement in that case anyway...

I doubt most schools would waive it if it was a specific requirement. But I also was unable to take my Organic labs during the semesters that I took lecture. So I am currently taking the lab as a night course which is once weekly. Every school (MD and DO) that I am applying to said as long as its completed by matriculation then your fine. So you may not be able to waive, but possibly able to postpone

Just my thoughts
IamAriDO

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I can tell, most med schools require labs for all the hard science prereqs (G Chem, physics, orgo and bio). There may be some schools that don't, but they are definitely a minority, and the vast majority of applicants take them anyway.

You could always apply without the lab and take it before matriculation. However, I wouldn't advise this, as there are often a few questions on the bio section of the MCAT that involve orgo lab techniques (separation, purification, spectroscopy, etc.). These questions will be a lot easier if you've taken the lab before the MCAT.

Colorado requires "bio with lab" "ochem with lab" "physics with lab" "genchem with lab", totaling 8 hours each. Among these requirements, I skipped two second semester lab courses. The med school has no problem with this after reviewing my prereq courses and is not requiring additional work. Note that they require 8 hrs, and I already have 8 or more hours for each of these areas. What's even cooler is Colorado waived the 9 hrs english requirement (I've got college credit for less than this now) as I have 10 or higher VR, and a certain writing score on the MCAT essay section, I think P or higher.

My approach was to hold off on these final few labs, under the thinking I can do them that final summer if a school absolutely requires them. As per Student, I think 1 lab per subject would be helpful in general and may be required by med schools.