No Need for Utoxes Anymore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comp1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm...ambivalent about the Goldwater Rule, but this is some seriously stretched stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a member of the APA but happen to be in favor of the goldwater rule. Psychiatrists who publicly comment on the mental health of people they have not examined make us all look like bozos and charlatans. This one included.

Reactions: 11 users
I am not a member of the APA but happen to be in favor of the goldwater rule. Psychiatrists who publicly comment on the mental health of people they have not examined make us all look like bozos and charlatans. This one included.

While I partially agree (I thought this article was BS), sometimes we see some clear cases and it is weird not to be able to comment on it. Recently a Brazilian participant of a reality show went fully psychotic during the reality show, she was later diagnosed with bipolar disorder. A lot of people online were blaming TikTok for her actions, saying she was spoiled, while she was clearly psychotic. Gladly, she asked to leave the reality show, since she thought everyone else was an actor against her. She was hospitalized and treated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not watched the State of the Union speech, so I'm even further removed from having not examined Biden here. All I could read in that article was "the president seemed more excited and animated during that speech, so maybe it was medications, who knows?" How is this a news topic at all? Also, how is this the candidate and this the speech get accused of being stimulant-fueled?

Reactions: 5 users
I am in favor of giving all the members of our gerontocracy a little bump of a stimulant and a half liter of saline before every public appearance.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
This psychiatrist is a clown. What a crap smear on the name of Bellevue. Shame.

Once again proving how “right” the Goldwater rule is. Same article written about trump is just as shameful. Brings our profession down.

Has anyone ever interacted with Lieberman in a forensic/expert witness setting? Something tells me there may be some interesting stories.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone ever interacted with Lieberman in a forensic/expert witness setting? Something tells me there may be some interesting stories.
Never come across her though her website says others "recogniz[e] her as a famous psychiatrist who deserves to be called the Dr. Freud of modern times." A bold claim given I've never heard of her before.

She describes her practice as "star studded" and herself as "America's psychiatrist."

Website also says She's "the key to turning even the weakest case into a winner!" Which is very cringey and sounds like a hired gun. I would think a good opposing counsel would have a field day with that.

all very diagnostic.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Never come across her though her website says others "recogniz[e] her as a famous psychiatrist who deserves to be called the Dr. Freud of modern times." A bold claim given I've never heard of her before.

She describes her practice as "star studded" and herself as "America's psychiatrist."

Website also says She's "the key to turning even the weakest case into a winner!" Which is very cringey and sounds like a hired gun. I would think a good opposing counsel would have a field day with that.

all very diagnostic.

She's also the author of such fine academic fare as:

Her entire website is in this just eye assaulting hot pink.
Also after just googling her name, looks like she loves to be out in the media in general.

She's also the author of such fine academic fare as:

Her entire website is in this just eye assaulting hot pink.
Also after just googling her name, looks like she loves to be out in the media in general.
hot pink, you say? We all know what drugs that must mean she was taking when she designed her website.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
You all need to get your colors straight or adjust your monitors, that website is clearly cerise colored. Lol

On a more serious note, I've heard plenty of legitimate complaints/concerns about the mental capabilities of politicians, including presidents, but agree with everyone else that this article is just bad. It's just putting together a story to fit an agenda in a way that imo is pretty obvious, similar to previous vibes from Bandy Lee and her claims of "folie a millions" to justify impeachment. Doc in the article even used psychiatric terms incorrectly for impact like saying "It was a word salad on speed". Makes me wonder how much is her trying to make inappropriate/incorrect statements for effect vs not actually knowing what psychiatric terms mean...

Doc in the article even used psychiatric terms incorrectly for impact like saying "It was a word salad on speed". Makes me wonder how much is her trying to make inappropriate/incorrect statements for effect vs not actually knowing what psychiatric terms mean...
Her brain's language centers have needed to shrink in order to make room for her detecting-medication-by-sight-through-a-screen centers. Her visual centers seem to have suffered for this too, at least her visual-design ones.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
The Krauthammer rule says you can get on TV and make bank diagnosing unpopular public figures with psych disorders and nobody will care except for a few grumpy psychiatrists.