No more GMOs in the Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnipotentx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone verify if this is true?

I was told that the Air Force no longer has any GMOs. They now prefer all doctors to undergo residency. If by chance one does not match for a residency, however, then they do rotations until they do match a residency.

Members don't see this ad.

omnipotentx said:

I was told that the Air Force no longer has any GMOs. They now prefer all doctors to undergo residency. If by chance one does not match for a residency, however, then they do rotations until they do match a residency.

Believe it when you see it.

The USAF policy passed several years ago was that "no GMO's should continue past their first tour (ie. only a GMO for 4 years max). The reason for this is that there used to be many GMO's who would not go back to residency because they could "skate" along in the military system and never have to improve their medical knowledge or get residency trained.

Many of these career GMO's were somewhat "inefficient" and used to rely on their non-expertise as a non-residency trained physician and not have to see any tough cases or referred out everything claiming they couldn't handle the case. Also, once they reached Lt Col or Colonel, they were essentially filling administrative roles and really didn't even perform any patient care. The USAF medical system finally caught on and realized this wasn't a good practice to have GMO's who wouldn't ever get board certified b/c that is what the "standard" is in civilian practice.

Funny thing is, I have seen "waivers" being given to GMO's who extend beyond 4 years (mostly for overseas assignments). Actually, I was forwarded an email 2 months ago from the RAM here stating they should be reminded that GMO's can "apply for this waiver" to extend beyond their 4 year tour.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that's very different than "there are no GMOs in the Air Force anymore."

Does anyone know?

Yes! The USAF still has GMO's! Wherever you got that information from about "no GMO's was WRONG!

USAFGMODOC said:
The USAF policy passed several years ago was that "no GMO's should continue past their first tour (ie. only a GMO for 4 years max). The reason for this is that there used to be many GMO's who would not go back to residency because they could "skate" along in the military system and never have to improve their medical knowledge or get residency trained.

Many of these career GMO's were somewhat "inefficient" and used to rely on their non-expertise as a non-residency trained physician and not have to see any tough cases or referred out everything claiming they couldn't handle the case. Also, once they reached Lt Col or Colonel, they were essentially filling administrative roles and really didn't even perform any patient care. The USAF medical system finally caught on and realized this wasn't a good practice to have GMO's who wouldn't ever get board certified b/c that is what the "standard" is in civilian practice.

Funny thing is, I have seen "waivers" being given to GMO's who extend beyond 4 years (mostly for overseas assignments). Actually, I was forwarded an email 2 months ago from the RAM here stating they should be reminded that GMO's can "apply for this waiver" to extend beyond their 4 year tour.

Thanks to that "policy" you are speaking of, I was "involuntarily separated" at the end of my four year ADSC as a GMO, (I would have left anyway), and was given a nice lump sum of taxpayers money on my way to a civilian residency.

omnipotentx said:

I can verify that that's NOT TRUE.

omnipotentx said:
Well, that's very different than "there are no GMOs in the Air Force anymore."

Does anyone know?

When I was a premed, this is what my recruiter told me to assure me that I would get into whatever residency that I wanted. He also told that 97% of hpsp students get the residency that they want. That is bull. This year, there were 24 students in the AF that wanted to do ob/gyn. There were only 14 slots (that's including the people that they would let do civilian residencies). So 10 people did not get to do their specialty of choice. Doesn't sound even close to 97% to me.

grayce79 said:
When I was a premed, this is what my recruiter told me to assure me that I would get into whatever residency that I wanted. He also told that 97% of hpsp students get the residency that they want. That is bull. This year, there were 24 students in the AF that wanted to do ob/gyn. There were only 14 slots (that's including the people that they would let do civilian residencies). So 10 people did not get to do their specialty of choice. Doesn't sound even close to 97% to me.
Usually when the USAF cites numbers like that, they mean the students got one of their top three choices, not necessarily their #1 choice. I know it is deceptive B.S., but just keep that in mind when you get into the USAF assignment system and the monkeys at AFPC.

grayce79 said:

Why do people trust the recruiters??? When anyone signs up, it shouldn't be under false pretenses. But like any salesman, they're trying to move their product. Buyer beware, due diligence, etc. all apply before signing on the dotted line. This forum is a great place to start the quest for "truth" regarding military medicine.

By the way, I called out to San Antonio a couple of months ago and was told it was the kiss of death to put more than one specialty on the ROL. By so doing, you would be assured of not matching to either specialty. I guess that wouldn't necessarily hold true for non-competitive specialties but who actually puts more than one specialty on their ROL??? It seems to me you'd be showing a lack of dedication to any specialty.