No interviews yet, what's wrong?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentistkoala

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment about not receiving any interviews or rejections at this point and what they think of my chances of a post-December interview? I've had pretty much no contact from my schools. Here is my info:

-Canadian/US dual citizen
-Queen's University BScH Life Sciences and Computing Minor (Canadian School)
-Applied to all private schools primarily in the Northeast
-cGPA: 3.51 (improved every year)
-sGPA: 3.48
-cDAT
-AA: 20
-Bio: 19
-Chem: 20
-PAT: 22
-RC: 20
-Brief ECs
-TA 2 terms (going on 3)
-100 hrs shadowing
-1 summer working in dental practice
-1 summer wet research, 1 summer dry
-3 years club, now president, started a conference
-2 other clubs, lower commitment for 2 years
-1 term volunteering at low-income dental program
-References
-Strong, 2 science profs, 1 dentist I worked for

Members don't see this ad.

Low GPA, okay DAT, only one semester of volunteering. Biggest thing to me is the low amount of volunteering.

When did you apply and to what schools?

Low GPA, okay DAT, only one semester of volunteering. Biggest thing to me is the low amount of volunteering.

When did you apply and to what schools?

Would being on the exec and then president of a club that raises money for children in need of surgery for 3 years not count as volunteering?

My applications went under review for each school between mid to late September unfortunately.

I applied to:
Tufts
Boston U
NYU
Temple
Case Western
Columbia
Pittsburgh
Meherry
Marquette

Members don't see this ad :)
My applications went under review for each school between mid to late September unfortunately.
You applied too late :/ I would sit tight for post-Dec interviews but would start preparing to reapply. Is there a reason why you took the cDAT over the american DAT for these US schools?

Your GPAs are ok and your DAT is somewhat ok but I think the thing that held you back the most this cycle was your date of submission. Also, Meharry tends to favor URMs, so if you aren't one, that may have been wasted money...

You applied too late :/ I would sit tight for post-Dec interviews but would start preparing to reapply. Is there a reason why you took the cDAT over the american DAT for these US schools?
I know :( I didn't think the verification/supplemental fee emails would take as long as they did.

I'm applying to both Canadian and US schools and all the schools I applied to take the cDAT so I thought it was a two birds one stone situation. Also Tufts' website says 19-20 in all Canadian DAT sections is competitive so I didn't think it was a negative.

@artist2022 Can you speak to the post-december process at all? Do you know typically how many seats are left at this point? Or when invites pick back up in the new year? Any other helpful insights?

@artist2022 Can you speak to the post-december process at all? Do you know typically how many seats are left at this point? Or when invites pick back up in the new year? Any other helpful insights?
I would say it's safe to assume at least half of a school's class is filled by now, if not 70-80%, and some schools have even filled their entire class up. Invites will probably go out mid-January, for interviews in March/April. You still have a shot for those, but unfortunately I would start preparing to reapply and make sure that you can submit your application in June, right when the cycle opens. You should up your shadowing hours, and continue volunteering at that low-income dental program. Also, I'd do more research on the schools to apply to because like I said for Meharry earlier, I just noticed you applied to Columbia, and I'm pretty sure they require 3 science letters....sorry :/ I know this probably wasn't the news you wanted to hear but I think it would be smart and probably best to start getting ready to reapply- ask for LORs, start writing a PS etc. Who knows, maybe you won't have to after all, but it's best to plan for the worst case scenario :)

I know :( I didn't think the verification/supplemental fee emails would take as long as they did.

I'm applying to both Canadian and US schools and all the schools I applied to take the cDAT so I thought it was a two birds one stone situation. Also Tufts' website says 19-20 in all Canadian DAT sections is competitive so I didn't think it was a negative.

Unfortunately “competitive” doesn’t guarantee anything anymore.

If they say 19-20 is competitive, you should aim for 22+. 21 minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would say it's safe to assume at least half of a school's class is filled by now, if not 70-80%, and some schools have even filled their entire class up. Invites will probably go out mid-January, for interviews in March/April. You still have a shot for those, but unfortunately I would start preparing to reapply and make sure that you can submit your application in June, right when the cycle opens. You should up your shadowing hours, and continue volunteering at that low-income dental program. Also, I'd do more research on the schools to apply to because like I said for Meharry earlier, I just noticed you applied to Columbia, and I'm pretty sure they require 3 science letters....sorry :/ I know this probably wasn't the news you wanted to hear but I think it would be smart and probably best to start getting ready to reapply- ask for LORs, start writing a PS etc. Who knows, maybe you won't have to after all, but it's best to plan for the worst case scenario :)

I'm still not giving up hope but realize reapplication is a real possibility. I'm also applying in Canada and Ireland so hopefully one avenue works out. Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately “competitive” doesn’t guarantee anything anymore.

If they say 19-20 is competitive, you should aim for 22+. 21 minimum.

I don't understand that mentality. Why put out misleading stats?!?

I don't understand that mentality. Why put out misleading stats?!?

Because 19-20 is "good". But 22+ is great.

It's like a school saying you need a minimum of a C in course. Obviously C's aren't competitive, you want the A's.

Reactions: 1 users
Because 19-20 is "good". But 22+ is great.

It's like a school saying you need a minimum of a C in course. Obviously C's aren't competitive, you want the A's.

Right but they use the word competitive not minimum. I think that's very misleading, if they mean what you say. On ADEA's tufts statistics page their average AA, TS, and PAT scores sit at 19.8, 19.7, and 19.6 respectively. This also makes me think their statement rings true (obviously a higher score is gonna get you an earlier interview, but this indicates that a 19-20 should also get an interview if all other application components are good)

Right but they use the word competitive not minimum. I think that's very misleading, if they mean what you say. On ADEA's tufts statistics page their average AA, TS, and PAT scores sit at 19.8, 19.7, and 19.6 respectively. This also makes me think their statement rings true (obviously a higher score is gonna get you an earlier interview, but this indicates that a 19-20 should also get an interview if all other application components are good)

Unfortunately no. Dental Schools have a limited # of spots available, therefore if the applicant pool is now full of more 21+ (which it is, due to the increase in prep courses/orgoman/etc), those 19-20 may not have the opportunity to even showcase their abilities.

It's the sad truth of this world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately no. Dental Schools have a limited # of spots available, therefore if the applicant pool is now full of more 21+ (which it is, due to the increase in prep courses/orgoman/etc), those 19-20 may not have the opportunity to even showcase their abilities.

there are not more 21+

If their averages are below 20 then there are clearly applicants with 19-20 getting interviews AND acceptances

I think you're gpa is just fine, it's good that you have a science gpa to match it. DAT is also just fine. Shadowing is good and you've done some volunteering. I think you have some pretty solid stats personally.

There is a LOT of stuff that happens post December for dental schools. Don't get discouraged. I only applied to one school and I got in right at the very tail end of May. Some schools are very slow with things. Keep doing what you're doing. I know it's stressful waiting around for things but my stats were not so different from yours and I only applied to one school. Good luck my friend!

I think you're gpa is just fine, it's good that you have a science gpa to match it. DAT is also just fine. Shadowing is good and you've done some volunteering. I think you have some pretty solid stats personally.

There is a LOT of stuff that happens post December for dental schools. Don't get discouraged. I only applied to one school and I got in right at the very tail end of May. Some schools are very slow with things. Keep doing what you're doing. I know it's stressful waiting around for things but my stats were not so different from yours and I only applied to one school. Good luck my friend!
I appreciate the reassurance. What did you do during the wait to try to alleviate some stress? I'm having a hard time not thinking about applications around the clock.

I appreciate the reassurance. What did you do during the wait to try to alleviate some stress? I'm having a hard time not thinking about applications around the clock.
Yeah waiting around can be tough, but you've done everything you needed to do. During the time between application and interviewing I just did a bit more shadowing. I probably had around 100 hours by the end, which honestly is more than enough. You don't really need to go crazy with it, they just want to see that you're interested.

Other than that I would recommend staying healthy and doing some things for fun. You want to be well-rested before you start dental school. It's a long journey. I just finished my first fall term and it was pretty exhausting. I remember how stressed I was waiting for the interview/acceptance process, wondering whether or not i'd actually make it in and now i'm just amazed at how much time I wasted worrying over nothing.

It's one of those things that never really goes away entirely until you get in, but if you focus on your health and well-being it gets easier. I'm sure you'll get in, 9 schools gives you some darn good chances. Take some time to appreciate how far you've come, get some exercise, go out and do some fun things. You'll be glad you did it once you're in school and you're back to the grind.

there are not more 21+

There are a lot more 21+ being obtained thanks to all the prep materials available now. I'm not saying they are present in every cycle, what with people taking their DAT 1+ years before they need them, but the # of "high scorers" are definitely higher than they used to be.

There are a lot more 21+ being obtained thanks to all the prep materials available now. I'm not saying they are present in every cycle, what with people taking their DAT 1+ years before they need them, but the # of "high scorers" are definitely higher than they used to be.

sorry, no
there are not more 21+
the DAT is a standardized test that assigns it's scores by percentiles

I heard it best earlier in the year (not my response)
someone, I believe on SDN, said, "you mean predents found a way to beat a bell curve?", when someone made the statement that, "DAT scores are higher now due to wider availability of study materials"

there seem to be more people with 21+ on SDN because this forum has lots of high achievers on it, and most of those who have lower scores don't post theirs because they are intimidated

Reactions: 2 users
Just to bring resolution to this thread for any future readers, I was accepted to both NYU and Tufts despite @Iroh 's misleading info

Reactions: 8 users
Just to bring resolution to this thread for any future readers, I was accepted to both NYU and Tufts @Iroh 's misleading info

Yay :)

Proof that mid-September is not that late.

Just to bring resolution to this thread for any future readers, I was accepted to both NYU and Tufts despite @Iroh 's misleading info

You and Iroh can be BEST FRIENDS at NYU! lol. Congrats on both your acceptances!!!!!!! I am in the no acceptance club with a 24 DAT, so let me be the first to confirm what school's always say - they take a holistic approach to applications. I don't think an 'average' DAT is like getting an average GPA either. There is a lot more disparity in GPAs. If you go by the definition of an average GPA, it would be a 2.0, so you have to adjust for dental school applicants, which would suggest a B+/A- is average. An average DAT is competitive in my mind, as long as you don't have a red flag, which would be a score under 17 in a category for most schools. Each school will weigh it differently, but imo, GPAs and DATs only tell part of the applicant's story.

You and Iroh can be BEST FRIENDS at NYU! lol. Congrats on both your acceptances!!!!!!! I am in the no acceptance club with a 24 DAT,

I hope you get accepted soon. Your DAT is great and someone out there will appreciate you. I hope you hear good news soon. Best of luck

I hope you get accepted soon. Your DAT is great and someone out there will appreciate you. I hope you hear good news soon. Best of luck

Thanks,
I'll let you know tomorrow, I got a good feeling about it. ;) haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks,
I'll let you know tomorrow, I got a good feeling about it. ;) haha.

I hope tomorrow is a beautiful day :) Best of luck again :luck:

I just remembered something. If you go to UOP page and browse it.
I put this guy :luck: there and asked people to touch the screen for good luck and of course, I did that as well and forgot about it. I then gave up on that school.

But 3 months later UOP called me for an interview lol. :laugh:

So yeah, definitely, get your luck from this green guy.

I am in the no acceptance club with a 24 DAT, so let me be the first to confirm what school's always say - they take a holistic approach to applications.

My biggest fear. Do you have any ideas why you might be in this predicament? Low hours, grades, submitted late etc?

My biggest fear. Do you have any ideas why you might be in this predicament? Low hours, grades, submitted late etc?

Not really. I do have a low undergrad GPA, but I did a 2 year masters program and had a competitive GPA throughout the 2 years.