No interviews yet...what's my chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itchypants73

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't received any interview invitations yet and I'm starting to get nervous. I applied to 65 programs, but see that many of the schools I've applied to have offered spots. Does this mean I'm not competitive? Step 1- 242, step 2- 262. Honors in FM, psych, IM Sub-I and some ophtho rotations, but not in the other core clerkships. 4 first author publications, 3 are in ophtho.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

According to the other thread, only ~10 programs have given out interviews thus far (and some of those programs are doing so in waves). I would give it some time - it's only mid-September!

Reactions: 1 users
Dios mio.

You will be fine amigo. It is early.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have any interviews either, I am kinda bummed, but its still pretty early. My application stats are similar to yours

Give it till mid-october. If I did not have interviews by then, I would be freaking out.

I struck a homerun today and received three interviews. Honestly, I thought the programs had made a mistake. I was waiting for the second email explaining that they had sent it to the wrong email address.

This process is so mentally and emotionally exhausting! I did not think that my chances of matching were very good, but today has changed that. I have been going over plans B, C, and D for months in case of not matching and adding up the years it would take to be able to pursue my dream of being an ophthalmologist (I've already taken 1 extra year). Some residents at my home school did not match, and applied again after research year, and then a third time after a prelim year. I even made two typos on my application and thought all hope was lost. I am profoundly grateful for a particular letter writer, which I think has made a difference. He is well known in the field, is a phenomenal mentor, and truly wants medical students to succeed in this competitive specialty. Becoming an ophthalmologist shouldn't require all these hoops and games, but that's a thread for a different day.

Reactions: 3 users