No interview invites yet - should I send letters of interest and panic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sitting on a couple (low tier) interviews, which I'm grateful for...but I'm a really solid applicant with good boards and letters and not sure why I don't have more at this point. Anyone think this is a signs of a bad cycle ahead? I mean I realize MSPE isn't out yet, but programs I've applied to have sent interviews and I'm not hearing anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Many programs will invite people they have worked with, people from their own school, or people who did research with them. Most of us wait for MSPEs but will jump the gun a little for some specific people we know we are inviting anyway. Don't panic before 10/01, and don't panic for some time after that. We have a lot of reading to do.

Reactions: 6 users
Many programs will invite people they have worked with, people from their own school, or people who did research with them. Most of us wait for MSPEs but will jump the gun a little for some specific people we know we are inviting anyway. Don't panic before 10/01, and don't panic for some time after that. We have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Question about MSPE - does the overall recommendation schools make about the student at the very end make much of a difference? i.e. the most highly recommended category holding more weight than others?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question about MSPE - does the overall recommendation schools make about the student at the very end make much of a difference? i.e. the most highly recommended category holding more weight than others?

To add to this question -- how much weight does a 4th year grade compare to 3rd year grade? I got a high-pass on a neurology elective (which in hindsight I shouldn't have taken) but honors in neurology clerkship, for example.

I mean it feels like compared to my friends in other specialties who have got >10 interviews right now, having 1 or 2 despite having board scores that are above average is a bit scary.

But looking at the last year thread a lot of invites come after 10/1.

Last edited:
I could write a paper on the lack of convention in MSPE final adjectives. superior, outstanding, excellent, very good, good, adequate, .... So even split categories like this person is outstanding to superior while that person is only excellent to outstanding. By the time we learn what convention the school is using, it can make some sense, but it is a lot of work. My favorite is a school were 80% of their students are "outstanding". Kind of flies in the face of the definition I think.

To add to this question -- how much weight does a 4th year grade compare to 3rd year grade? I got a high-pass on a neurology elective (which in hindsight I shouldn't have taken) but honors in neurology clerkship, for example.

Along a similar line of questions.... what about those of us who have pretty good comments and may have ended up tanking a shelf exam or two... The evals read pretty well but some of the 'place in your class' things are cringeworthy. I'm a hair worried that folks are going to laugh when they see the MSPE and rescind some of the interviews I already have lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Along a similar line of questions.... what about those of us who have pretty good comments and may have ended up tanking a shelf exam or two... The evals read pretty well but some of the 'place in your class' things are cringeworthy. I'm a hair worried that folks are going to laugh when they see the MSPE and rescind some of the interviews I already have lol.
I'm right there with ya man lol

Only one interview so far . Some people I know already with four . Should I be freaking out yet ?

Only one interview so far . Some people I know already with four . Should I be freaking out yet ?

Some people from your program who applied to the same psychiatry programs as you? Any of them superstars, or what?

I never understand how anyone "knows" so much about what other people have done with apps (or interview invites they say they have received). I never sought out that info, and did not share my results with anyone, either. Too much "sharing" is not always good for the ego.

At this point, the MSPE isn't even out so a lot of places likely have a list and are holding cards close to their chest other than for the superstars that folks likely want to fight over. If those, and other, people applied to more programs then it follows that they'd have heard back from a bunch just because they sent out more invites. I have a feeling a ton of letters are going to be going out in a week, both invites and rejections though the latter will probably happen later....

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there still no reason to worry though, I mean some programs sent 5-10 out already and some only interview like 50-60 max.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

At this point, the MSPE isn't even out so a lot of places likely have a list and are holding cards close to their chest other than for the superstars that folks likely want to fight over. If those, and other, people applied to more programs then it follows that they'd have heard back from a bunch just because they sent out more invites. I have a feeling a ton of letters are going to be going out in a week, both invites and rejections though the latter will probably happen later....

Some of these superstars have a <500 comlex, no steps, and 6 interviews....

I don't get it.

Some of these superstars have a <500 comlex, no steps, and 6 interviews....

I don't get it.

Right, so either they have a compelling story or programs know that historically that's the kind of student they need to fill their program. Remember all the med school calculus we used to do on here? It's not too different. They have tons of data and are acting based on that. The application landscape is changing numerically, but there are definitely people who have shown a deep commitment to psychiatry through their words and actions and activities and just throwing out a comlex score doesn't really even begin to scratch the surface.

Give it a few days. We can all freak out together in a week or so. Promise!

Right, so either they have a compelling story or programs know that historically that's the kind of student they need to fill their program. Remember all the med school calculus we used to do on here? It's not too different. They have tons of data and are acting based on that. The application landscape is changing numerically, but there are definitely people who have shown a deep commitment to psychiatry through their words and actions and activities and just throwing out a comlex score doesn't really even begin to scratch the surface.

Give it a few days. We can all freak out together in a week or so. Promise!

I also think a student can be a superstar with low scores :) anyone know what it is about mspe that programs care most about? specifically, why they wait until they have it to give interviews. Class rank? They already have the transcript so can see if a student has consistently good performance

For sure! I definitely felt all those things last year, and I'm trying to put things in perspective from the other side of the chasm. Everyone has those feelings, and the imposter syndrome is super real. A tiny minority of programs have sent out interviews yet, and those programs have only sent out a small fraction of their interviews they'll eventually offer. At this point last year I had zero interviews. I got a total of 10 and matched at my #1, so even though you're all probably super anxious and feel like you're going to vomit most of the day every day, just realize your feelings will be changing soon!

In the meantime, definitely take my "evidence based" recommendations and go get a beer (or other food/beverage of your choice) on this Friday afternoon ;).

OK, so update - I got only one interview. Granted it's an interview from a phenomenal top program, but I obviously need to rank more than one program to have even a chance of matching.....

Is this an appropriate time to start freaking out, Evidence Based?

OK, so update - I got only one interview. Granted it's an interview from a phenomenal top program, but I obviously need to rank more than one program to have even a chance of matching.....

Dude no...calm the **** down, give it until October 20 and I guarantee you will have 6+ interviews. If not come and freak out then

Dude no...calm the **** down, give it until October 20 and I guarantee you will have 6+ interviews. If not come and freak out then

October 20th? That’s such a random date man.

MSPEs come out today, correct? There are a lot of programs that don't give out many/any invites until it comes out, so no I don't think panic is the appropriate response. That being said, always good to check in with IRL advisors who know you throughout the process!

MSPEs come out today, correct? There are a lot of programs that don't give out many/any invites until it comes out, so no I don't think panic is the appropriate response. That being said, always good to check in with IRL advisors who know you throughout the process!
Correct. They just went out at midnight EST if they were already uploaded.

It's almost 8am PST.... I was told there would be interviews...

Good morning fellas. Seems like a good time for me to panic now . Anyone care to join ?

Reactions: 4 users
Good morning fellas. Seems like a good time for me to panic now . Anyone care to join ?
giphy (3).gif

Despite what I said before if you're not getting anything now I wouldn't "panic" but I would start getting some concern.

Today has been sort of quiet lol....

Reactions: 1 users
Despite what I said before if you're not getting anything now I wouldn't "panic" but I would start getting some concern.

Should I withhold my concern until noon? Or is now a good time to start the concern?

J
Should I withhold my concern until noon? Or is now a good time to start the concern?
i think withold until the 15th. Then start emailing program coordinators . That’s what I’m gonna do.

I fantasize building a bot to reject anyone who asks before 10/15.

I fantasize building a bot to reject anyone who asks before 10/15.

Ugh and here I am about to send a letter of interest because an adcom at my dream program recommend doing so now...

I could write a paper on the lack of convention in MSPE final adjectives. superior, outstanding, excellent, very good, good, adequate, .... So even split categories like this person is outstanding to superior while that person is only excellent to outstanding. By the time we learn what convention the school is using, it can make some sense, but it is a lot of work. My favorite is a school were 80% of their students are "outstanding". Kind of flies in the face of the definition I think.
Similar to the variability in clinical grades at different institutions. I seem to recall Northwestern giving 80% of their students Honors in an H/P/F system such that getting one or two Passes put someone in the bottom quartile of their class.

---

Also, I would refer people back to my timeline post. Wait at least one more week, they don't all get sent out on Oct 1...

Last edited:
Ugh and here I am about to send a letter of interest because an adcom at my dream program recommend doing so now...
Not sure what an adcom is, but be sure and reference that person. No better way to deflect the inevitable irritation than to be following a mentor's suggestion.

May have made the screw up of a lifetime. A program notified me that my email address in ERAS left of the "u" in "@.edu", (just showed "@.ed"). I've received a few invites already but I hope other invites didn't bounce. Should I contact programs about the update?

Edit:
Contacted thalamus and interview broker support for any missed communications. I'll send LOIs to my top programs in late October if I haven't heard anything. Can't believe this happened, my application was reviewed by multiple students and faculty. We all missed it :(

Last edited:
Maybe send them an LOI already if you did an away rotation there and you know they're giving out applications already or something?

Well then you should--to THAT program.

Question for the program directors on this thread:

By October 15th, how many interview offers would you say would be a good number to get? Like, as in if we have below x number of interviews, we should start emailing programs we're interested in but have not heard from.

Also, I truly do not understand this process. I applied to a wide range of schools to include but "less competitive" and more competitive. So far, I have had only three interview invites, all from my reaches at top programs (top as ranked by like doximity). So the "less competitive" schools on my list appear to me as actually harder to impress/please. Thoughts? I'm just anxious because while i like the programs that interview me, what I care most about is becoming a psychiatrist. Not necessarily a psychiatrist from a brand name program, but just a psychiatrist that has good training. And right now, if I rank just three top programs, I have a good chance of not matching and having to scramble.

Last edited:
May have made the screw up of a lifetime. A program notified me that my email address in ERAS left of the "u" in "@.edu", (just showed "@.ed"). I've received a few invites already but I hope other invites didn't bounce. Should I contact programs about the update?

Edit:
Contacted thalamus and interview broker support for any missed communications. I'll send LOIs to my top programs in late October if I haven't heard anything. Can't believe this happened, my application was reviewed by multiple students and faculty. We all missed it :(
Try not to worry as much, even though it is hard not to. Since that 1 program did let you know about the error, I think if an email sent to you bounced back to them which is possibly how the coordinator noticed the typo, other programs would figure out too.

65 is a lot, but...if you add, look in the midwest, the rocky mountain west...
100? Wow.

If you have any kind of success in getting interview invites, you will have the problem of dealing with all of them - scheduling, canceling, etc. I know - a "good" problem to have, from the prospective of a nervous applicant in mid September - but there is a lot of stress in this process, and it is possible to have too much of a good thing.

I applied to around 25 programs, got something like 18 or 19 invites, and ended up attending about 12 interviews. Looking back on it, I overextended myself on the interviews, most of them involved air travel, thus $$$ - 8 or 9 interviews, tops, would have sufficed. And in retrospect, I over applied, too; 15 to 20 would have been more than enough. And the one thing I remember about all of it is the handling of invites that come in over a 2 month period, thus you are constantly evaluating whether or not to go to interviews, moving them around, canceling them, and wanting to be professional about all of it, not canceling anything last minute. There were a couple of programs I kind of jerked around - set a date, moved it to a later date, and ultimately canceled. With 100, you may get covered up with invites you really don't want to bother with, but initially you will schedule them, out of anxiety. Just deal with these programs professionally and ethically, not always the easiest thing to do in the fog of war that is coming your way.

Good luck.

This is actually not that low depending on your degree. I know zero applicants from the Carib who applied to less than 100 programs and many of them ended up with single digit ii's. As a DO with mediocre scores it was recommended to me by my advisors and a PD that I apply to 60 programs. Even for USMDs, 15-20 is too low now imo. Unless you're an absolute superstar I'd never recommend applying to less than 20 programs now, it's just a different ball game than it was even 5 years ago.

It sucks because it just makes this whole process even more convoluted, but the reality is too many good applicants get passed up purely because of volume of applications now.

I also think a student can be a superstar with low scores :) anyone know what it is about mspe that programs care most about? specifically, why they wait until they have it to give interviews. Class rank? They already have the transcript so can see if a student has consistently good performance

Was told by 2 PDs that they were waiting to see if my attending evals in my MSPE were as glowing as my LORs. Their opinion was that everyone will have great LORs (otherwise why would you ask that person for a rec???), but on MSPEs they'll see all the comments, both good and bad. For psych, I think it's less about class rank and superlatives and more about seeing if the recs are actually legit or if there's any professionalism/ethical flags in a student's application.

I was straight up told by the APD at my current program that if LORs aren't glowing it's a red flag in their eyes. However great comments across the board on the MSPE was much more impressive to them. PDs on here can correct me, but that would be what I'd be looking for (consistency of comments and previously unknown red flags).

It's like Doodle for residency interviews.

There are dogs for residency interviews? Why did I not see any of them???

What should I think about a program I did an away rotation at 2 months ago, which has sent out many invites, which hasn't invited me? Think they didn't like me?

What should I think about a program I did an away rotation at 2 months ago, which has sent out many invites, which hasn't invited me? Think they didn't like me?
Not necessarily. They could have only invited their own students, not invited anyone at all, or just be slow to give them out. My away rotation hasn't sent interviews to even any of their own star students.

Do you need to sign up for it ourselves or is it for the residency program directors themselves?

If you get an invite from a program that uses it; they'll send you a link. It's super easy, takes just a couple minutes to get it set up and the interview scheduled

I have this same question. I thought they liked me a lot and I got a strong LOR. Would it seem desperate to send them a LOI this early?