NO INTERVIEW CLUB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone planning to write a letter of interest in the next few weeks?
After reading a lot about "letter of intents", I came to a conclusion that a letter of intent before dec would be pretty useless and perhaps even after that. I think some schools make give you a shot based on the letter if they don't end up filling their classes by dec 1 (which usually many don't) but even that is a slim chance.
I think your application is your intent and adding additional letters may not really help you (and may rub off the wrong way to a lot of ADCOMS). I think you should wait and prepare for interviews and keep being engaged in dentistry and acing classes because academic update is right around the corner.

Members don't see this ad.

Any Sept/Oct/Nov applicant still in this clib?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
submitted my app sept 1....

Reactions: 1 user
After reading a lot about "letter of intents", I came to a conclusion that a letter of intent before dec would be pretty useless and perhaps even after that. I think some schools make give you a shot based on the letter if they don't end up filling their classes by dec 1 (which usually many don't) but even that is a slim chance.
I think your application is your intent and adding additional letters may not really help you (and may rub off the wrong way to a lot of ADCOMS). I think you should wait and prepare for interviews and keep being engaged in dentistry and acing classes because academic update is right around the corner.

You are thinking of letters of interest. You have nothing to lose to stimulate your application again by sending them a nicely written letter that indicates you are still interested in them and why they should consider you. Remember that this is a subjective process and if they see someone who is actively pursuing them, they will likely pick that person over someone sitting in the corner sleeping. Letters of intent are meant for those already interviewed and to provide confidence that if they are selected, they will not leave their spot for another.

Any Sept/Oct/Nov applicant still in this clib?

July/August Applicant still here

submitted my app sept 1....

August applicant still here

I submitted in June and waiting on many schools. Hold tight! Remember that post-December interviews are REAL and tons of folks get in with those.

You are thinking of letters of interest. You have nothing to lose to stimulate your application again by sending them a nicely written letter that indicates you are still interested in them and why they should consider you. Remember that this is a subjective process and if they see someone who is actively pursuing them, they will likely pick that person over someone sitting in the corner sleeping. Letters of intent are meant for those already interviewed and to provide confidence that if they are selected, they will not leave their spot for another.

I submitted in June and waiting on many schools. Hold tight! Remember that post-December interviews are REAL and tons of folks get in with those.
isn't an application to the school (in addition to supplemental fees) indicating a strong interest ?? Why would I apply to a school I have no interest, especially given how expensive and competitive the process is ...ADCOMS are busy, they do not have time to read extra letters apart from some who like thank you letters. I spoke to competitive schools where I interviewed and they all said, LOI's are not going to help or hurt. Thus in my book, it is purely a waste of time. Your stats and personal statement are what make the decision. Speaking from experience not just hyperbole.
PS: if your school recommends a LOI, that's a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
isn't an application to the school (in addition to supplemental fees) indicating a strong interest ?? Why would I apply to a school I have no interest, especially given how expensive and competitive the process is ...ADCOMS are busy, they do not have time to read extra letters apart from some who like thank you letters. I spoke to competitive schools where I interviewed and they all said, LOI's are not going to help or hurt. Thus in my book, it is purely a waste of time. Your stats and personal statement are what make the decision. Speaking from experience not just hyperbole.

Interest? Yes. Strong interest? No. There are a lot of applicants out there. Why not give it your all and do your best to separate yourself from the herd? That's just my personal opinion. To each their own.

Reactions: 3 users

I haven't heard back from a good majority of the schools I applied to. My friend told me that when he applied last year, he was in a similar situation and they sent him a bunch of rejections come Dec 1st. Now I'm freaking out that post-december interviews may not be an option for me. I'm still waiting to finish up some courses so that I can do the academic update, but that won't be until way after Dec 1st....

Interest? Yes. Strong interest? No. There are a lot of applicants out there. Why not give it your all and do your best to separate yourself from the herd? That's just my personal opinion. To each their own.

There are four schools that I applied to back in June that I heard nothing from.

In November, thinking that I had nothing to lose, I sent one of them a sincere explanation of my interest and why I would want to attend their school. One week later, I received an interview to that program. When I called to confirm the interview, I mentioned how excited I was and the admissions office told me that they valued my e-mail of interest and that interest plays a major role in deciding who to interview.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
There are four schools that I applied to back in June that I heard nothing from.

In November, thinking that I had nothing to lose, I sent one of them a sincere explanation of my interest and why I would want to attend their school. One week later, I received an interview to that program. When I called to confirm the interview, I mentioned how excited I was and the admissions office told me that they valued my e-mail of interest and that interest plays a major role in deciding who to interview.
Dayumm tell em @Incis0r ahah you really inspired me.. low key. Well said incisor and @DMDDDSHopeful

Finally I'm no longer a part of this club. Good luck to the rest of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Finally I'm no longer a part of this club. Good luck to the rest of you!
Awesome congratulations . .. where is your interview at? Did you get invited post -Dec?

SB gave me an interview an hour after mine.

Last year I was hoping to get an invite to a particular school I hadn't heard anything from. The end of December was approaching and so I sent an email expressing my interest. The next day, on Christmas eve, I get an interview invitation. Now I'm a student there.

Reactions: 12 users
Last year I was hoping to get an invite to a particular school I hadn't heard anything from. The end of December was approaching and so I sent an email expressing my interest. The next day, on Christmas eve, I get an interview invitation. Now I'm a student there.
Did you send the email to the Director of Admissions? Or just the admissions office in general?

Reactions: 5 users

Was this in the style of a formal letter or was it relatively short? Genuinely curious as I want to write one myself.

Was this in the style of a formal letter or was it relatively short? Genuinely curious as I want to write one myself.

I expressed my continued interest, gave an update as to what I had been doing, why I liked their program and how I saw it as a good fit, and that I looked forward to hearing back from them and hopefully having an opportunity to get to know the faculty more. A few paragraphs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

May I ask what were the 4 schools you applied to? Or better yet, what were the schools you send a letter of interest to?

Hi everyone! I can't believe that it is already January and I have yet to receive an interview. I only applied to 3 schools, but I honestly expected at least 1 interview by now. My stats are solid, I have a lot of work/volunteer experience as well as leadership experience in health care.

I sent an informal update to two of the schools with an unofficial transcript and received emails a few days after telling me that they were still reviewing my application, but it seems like a few other people go these emails as well. Does anyone have any insight as to what these "update" emails mean from the schools? I feel so lost, I thought they would have rejected me by now but I've gotten no rejections nor interviews. I'm not sure if I should be holding on to hope or if I should begin working on my application for the next cycle.

Hi everyone! I can't believe that it is already January and I have yet to receive an interview. I only applied to 3 schools, but I honestly expected at least 1 interview by now. My stats are solid, I have a lot of work/volunteer experience as well as leadership experience in health care.

I sent an informal update to two of the schools with an unofficial transcript and received emails a few days after telling me that they were still reviewing my application, but it seems like a few other people go these emails as well. Does anyone have any insight as to what these "update" emails mean from the schools? I feel so lost, I thought they would have rejected me by now but I've gotten no rejections nor interviews. I'm not sure if I should be holding on to hope or if I should begin working on my application for the next cycle.

Where did you apply.

I got my post December interviews by calling and being persistent.

No reason to worry too much as of yet! Seriously. The schools told you they were reviewing your application and if you sent in an Academic Update/update email then that is beneficial as well. Many schools interview up through March, and some won't send invites until a week or two before the day of the interview. If your stats, PS, and EC's really are on par then the best thing you can do right now is just stay positive and hope for the best. It is always good to stay active in the dental community and continue strengthening your application whether or not you get an interview, just to prepare for the worst. I am still doing that and I have been invited to two interviews. Hope this helps!

Where did you apply.

I got my post December interviews by calling and being persistent.
USC, WesternU, and UCLA which I know are all tough to get into, but I was not interested in applying to out of state schools.

No reason to worry too much as of yet! Seriously. The schools told you they were reviewing your application and if you sent in an Academic Update/update email then that is beneficial as well. Many schools interview up through March, and some won't send invites until a week or two before the day of the interview. If your stats, PS, and EC's really are on par then the best thing you can do right now is just stay positive and hope for the best. It is always good to stay active in the dental community and continue strengthening your application whether or not you get an interview, just to prepare for the worst. I am still doing that and I have been invited to two interviews. Hope this helps!
Thank you! Your encouragement means a lot, wishing you the best this cycle.

USC, WesternU, and UCLA which I know are all tough to get into, but I was not interested in applying to out of state schools.

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Maybe mid February start to consider worst case and prep for reapplying.

So in a way you did constrain your options for not considering OOS options. More schools obviously increases your chances.

You are still under review which is good and they sent you an email!!

The schools I called all told me I was under review and I received decisions a little quicker. Within a few days to a week. I've sent a letter of intent to one school and am just waiting now.

May I ask what are your stats?

I wouldn't worry too much yet. Maybe mid February start to consider worst case and prep for reapplying.

So in a way you did constrain your options for not considering OOS options. More schools obviously increases your chances.

You are still under review which is good and they sent you an email!!

The schools I called all told me I was under review and I received decisions a little quicker. Within a few days to a week. I've sent a letter of intent to one school and am just waiting now.

May I ask what are your stats?

Yeah, maybe I should wait until mid February to start worrying too much.

I have a 3.6 cumulative and science GPA, 20-22 DAT scores, with tremendous involvement outside of academics.

I have a 3.6 cumulative and science GPA, 20-22 DAT scores, with tremendous involvement outside of academics.

That is pretty competitive. Maybe you applied late? Give it a little more time.

I'm not an expert but I've gone through all the past threads and it seems really nothing is set in stone until march.

Ucla rejects 4.0s and 23+ Dats so they are not a sure fire at all.

You did not mention when you applied?

There are tens of thousands of 3.6 GPA and 20-22 DATers out there. Lots of people are involved in EC and leadership. Some even have research and more.

Ucla rejects 4.0s and 23+ Dats so they are not a sure fire at all.

Your best chance is probably WesternU as they are private and high priced. I don't know much about the other two other than UCLA is a tough one and @Likkriue already mentioned they reject higher. I've even seen people with higher stats get rejected from schools you wouldn't think would so, to be honest, stats aren't everything. Applying to 3 schools limited your chances.

Just keep a positive outlook and hope for the best.

You did yourself a disservice by applying to such few schools, and especially limiting yourself to just schools in your state. But that doesn't even matter because I know for a fact that there are at least 6 dental schools in California alone.

Your stats aren't helping your case, which are basically average for a competitive applicant. UCLA and USC are among the hardest dental schools to get into, and they probably get loads of applicants with similar or better numbers. You have a better chance of hearing back from Western, but I think they're finishing up their interview process soon so there might not be much time left.

If you need to reapply, don't be so picky. No one is guaranteed an acceptance, so you need to do everything in your power to boost your chances

That is pretty competitive. Maybe you applied late? Give it a little more time.

I'm not an expert but I've gone through all the past threads and it seems really nothing is set in stone until march.

You're absolutely correct, I don't see a specific formula for absolute success with any of the schools, considering the amount of applicants they receive each cycle.

You did not mention when you applied?

There are tens of thousands of 3.6 GPA and 20-22 DATers out there. Lots of people are involved in EC and leadership. Some even have research and more.

Your best chance is probably WesternU as they are private and high priced. I don't know much about the other two other than UCLA is a tough one and @Likkriue already mentioned they reject higher. I've even seen people with higher stats get rejected from schools you wouldn't think would so, to be honest, stats aren't everything. Applying to 3 schools limited your chances.

Just keep a positive outlook and hope for the best.
I applied in July and took the DAT in late August, so everything was verified and the review began early September. I understand that UCLA is a tough one, but I also think that stats are not everything since there are so many highly qualified applicants who get rejected so often. I actually have some research under my belt as well! In terms of strengthening my application, the only thing I think I can work on is my GPA by maybe doing a special masters program or retaking my DAT. Thank you for your input!

You did yourself a disservice by applying to such few schools, and especially limiting yourself to just schools in your state. But that doesn't even matter because I know for a fact that there are at least 6 dental schools in California alone.

Your stats aren't helping your case, which are basically average for a competitive applicant. UCLA and USC are among the hardest dental schools to get into, and they probably get loads of applicants with similar or better numbers. You have a better chance of hearing back from Western, but I think they're finishing up their interview process soon so there might not be much time left.

If you need to reapply, don't be so picky. No one is guaranteed an acceptance, so you need to do everything in your power to boost your chances

I knew my chances were limited when I applied to schools in the area, but financially/personally I cannot afford to live out of state or away from home which is the reason why I only had a few options. I know that applying broadly would increase my chances of an acceptance, but didn't think that there was a point since I would not be able to move away.

I know my stats are not amazing but it isn't always a numbers game as I know people who have been admitted to these schools with lower numbers. I guess at this point, I just have to wait it out or try to contact the schools to see how I can strengthen my application for the next cycle.

Thanks for your insight! :)

I disagree USC is one of the hardest to get into. I think you are confusing them with UCSF. USC is a private school that charges an arm and a leg for tuition.

I disagree USC is one of the hardest to get into. I think you are confusing them with UCSF. USC is a private school that charges an arm and a leg for tuition.

That's the one...too many CA schools

Anyone feeling a bit anxious at this point?
Absolutely. Not much we can do though and being anxious is just not helpful. Im doing my best to not refresh my email and SDN every hour lol.

Last edited:

WOW nice! congrats. what school was this?

I'm still here hahaha..ha..ha..haaaaa.......ha :(

I've sent emails and called the admissions office expressing my interest and updates, but I'm still hearing no news but a few rejections. Feel so sad.