No ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themountain123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do podiatry schools care about extracurricular? I plan to do a gap year and take the Mcat (in a senior) Since right now I have almost no extracurriculars and if theoretically I have a 3.4 gpa and 490-500 mcat with a year of shadowing and volunteering would I have a chance at pod school?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming I get a 500 would the lack of ECs hold me back?

No, the grades and your MCAT score will determine your chances (not just ECs). Study hard for the MCAT, and shadow a DPM or two (when you can, difficult now due to covid), get a LOR, and you should be fine. When you get the MCAT score, make a post again (in the thread below). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
No, the grades and your MCAT score will determine your chances (not just ECs). Study hard for the MCAT, and shadow a DPM or two (when you can, difficult now due to covid), get a LOR, and you should be fine. When you get the MCAT score, make a post again (in the thread below). Good luck!

Will do! Thanks you so much for the fast response, I really appreciate it!

Grades and MCAT get you the interview.

Personality gets you the acceptance (in an ideal world).

ECs can be an indicator of your personality on paper. It tells the schools you are well rounded. Even if you are just doing it to check off boxes, it tells the school you are willing to do something outside of your comfort zone to get the job done.

Some schools will accept someone who looks great on paper but have horrible soft skills. Don't be that person.