No Credit, Withdraw or Take the bad grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodishgood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering which might be a better option as I am taking a very tough upper div biology class. I have been getting decent grades the past 2 years of my postbacc classes until this class. I might be able to pull a C or B- but definitely not an A. :(

Does NC mean pharm school get to see my letter grade and not factor it in my GPA?

Cant drop the class before midterm so I'm stuck with W, NC or bad grade.

Here are my stats:
Undergrad Cum GPA 2.55 :laugh:
Last 2 years of only BCMP postbacc 3.65

What would you guys do? Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

I have a bunch of (non-science) classes I took non-credit at Harvard when I worked there and just took classes for personal enrichment, not as prereqs for anything. They show up on my transcript (which I've just looked at because I am now back taking science prereqs) as NC... there is no grade. I don't think anyone would see your grade at all - it may be calculated for you, but it's not officially recorded. Usually when someone takes a class non-credit, they do not do all of the assignments so an accurate grade couldn't really be calculated. If I decided to switch to non-credit, I most certainly would not waste my time continuing to take exams and do other assignments.

What do you mean you can't drop the class before the midterm, but you can withdraw later... do you just mean you're not sure whether you're doing badly or not?

NC is the way to go. it is not even punitive. people do NC when they want to have access to a course but not be graded and have to the freedom to do work however they like. the goal is to learn and enjoy rather than get the grade with NC. you can say that you took the course for enrichment. if you switch to NC - that is exactly what you'll be doing. your institution gave you extra time to decide - that's nice. if you are too busy to spend further time in the NC course - then definitely don't do any work for it. but you did pay money for the course - so if you can make time to attend the lectures and learn - i recommend it.

I have a bunch of (non-science) classes I took non-credit at Harvard when I worked there and just took classes for personal enrichment, not as prereqs for anything. They show up on my transcript (which I've just looked at because I am now back taking science prereqs) as NC... there is no grade. I don't think anyone would see your grade at all - it may be calculated for you, but it's not officially recorded. Usually when someone takes a class non-credit, they do not do all of the assignments so an accurate grade couldn't really be calculated. If I decided to switch to non-credit, I most certainly would not waste my time continuing to take exams and do other assignments.

What do you mean you can't drop the class before the midterm, but you can withdraw later... do you just mean you're not sure whether you're doing badly or not?

Awesome thanks for reply lizzo and common man. Dropping a class doesn't show a W on transcript which is the best scenario for my case. There is only one A in the class at the midterm and she's taking for fun NC :eek:. And I really like the thought of "personal enrichment" since I work full time and i don't have a life. :laugh: