No committee letter, but school offers one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update incoming! For anyone searching the forums with a similar question -- Just about 1 year later, and I am happy to report that I did get accepted to a school I like!!! Couldn't be more excited :)

To clear some things up - some schools do give you a chance to explain why you don't have a committee letter (weather they prefer/require it or not).
Other schools may have a portion of the secondary that lets you explain any inconsistencies in you app/grades which I used to explain why I lacked a letter.
I tried to be tactful with my explanation and I also had individual letters from good, varied sources (professors, lab mentor, volunteer supervisor).
I personally would not recommend skipping an entire year solely for the purpose of obtaining a committee letter if you have good individual letters from people you trust.

Good luck everyone!
What explanation did you give for not having the committee letter if you don' t mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad.

* I know this thread is almost literally a year old*

Decided to apply for a committee letter from my undergrad. Did not in the first place because I'm 11 years out so I didn't (still don't) think they know me well to assess me in that way. I only decided to apply for it bc apparently PCOM absolutely requires it.
Am I crazy to be doing this for 1 school? Maybe but some other school may have a 'No exceptions' policy and I don't want to be screwed in that instance.

If I do get the committee letter, do I have the option of not using it (use my individual letters instead)? Or does it get automatically sent to AMCAS.
A possible reason for not using it would be delay - I'd like to be complete early in the cycle (MD and DO).