NMS Medicine for M2 year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this isn't the basic sci. forum, but I figured people on here would be more likely to have used NMS Medicine in clerkships. An M3 here recommended it to me for this year as I'm going through pathology, and I was wondering what any of you thought about that. I'm using Robbins, BRS Path and the UCVs for classwork; would NMS be useful as well? And is it the one that people prefer for the medicine clerkship? If I have to buy it anyway, I might as well get it now... Thanks for your advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

While I don't have any inside info on clerkships and the NMS book, I would imagine many people don't really use the book during the clerkship--the outline form is very dry and tough to read through...another downside is that there isn't much info. on treatment and plan in that book.

I have that book, but find "The Principles and Practice of Medicine" much more readable, written for the medical student, and has excellent pathophysiology explanations for the major diseases you will see. I also use baby Harrison's to look up real world treatment guidelines.

What was the rationale behind using a clinical board review book for a basic science course?

Stick to the books and read Robbins. There are various Pathology review books that are worth examining. The self test books are excellent for the boards. I don't know about your medical school but our 'pathology faculty' were not on the board to write questions so board review books did not correlate with 'in house' test questions.

Robbins. Robbins. Robbins.

Robbins is your bible. Robbins might be the finest textbook ever written. As far as books go, I'd put Robbins right up there with "War and Peace". Read it. Know it. Live it. Love it. Throw in BRS Pathology for your board review, and you're in.

Trust me on this one. If it ain't in Robbins, it ain't pathology, and nobody cares about it. Least of all the folks who write the Step 1 questions.