NM optometric bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind injectables but that's it. Tatoo artists can do that with NO education.

I guess all injections could be done by a tattoo artist. I might consult them the next time I need a LP, central line, thoracentesis, or joint injection. I bet they are a lot cheaper :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess all injections could be done by a tattoo artist. I might consult them the next time I need a LP, central line, thoracentesis, or joint injection. I bet they are a lot cheaper :laugh:

Of course, they don't have to pay malpractice insurance! Though I sure wouldn't want an ophthalmologist doing it either. I wouldn't consider an LP in the same complexity range as peri and intraocular injections. Why was that the comment you made about my post, hopefully your busy looking up the stats I talked about.

Some ODs and eyeMDs must get along, a lot of eyeMDs have OD parents.

OK, I've let this go on long enough. AS ALWAYS, we'll have to agree to disagree. Thread closed.

Ok I thought I was done with this thread, but I need to kick the horse a few more times. If you do some decent research you will find that the prescribing patterns of ODs, DDS, podiatrists have been safer and less abusive than the MD status quo. MDs (not Ophth) will dump antibiotics on all red-eyes... be viral, allergic, iritis. I don't see anyone bashing DDS and Podiatry on their even larger medical and surgical abilities. DDS use anesthesia for God's sake. It boils down to strait $$ as the above doc mentioned. Just don't stand behind the patient safety issue, its bogus. ODs have never created more problems than Ophthalmologists with their increased scope. The OK ODs have lower complication rates than MDs. The stats are out there, look them up.

Oh and if opticians can do stand alone refractions there is a lot of pathology that will be missed and not treated by ophthalmologists. I don't relate to commercial walmart optometry, that's not my thing. I'm really not sure why other corporate entities don't buy a visx laser and start raking in the dough. Again I don't really care about laser privledges. You will find most all ODs don't want to use a scalpel. I turned down med-school because that isn't what I wanted to do. I wouldn't mind injectables but that's it. Tatoo artists can do that with NO education. How about them dentists again doing as more or more invasive surgery than most of you.

There is no way in hell you can compare OD training next to DDS or podiatry training. Those guys actually are trained in surgery and DDS or rather OMFS are trained to give anesthesia. OMFS actually rotate through GS and Anesthesia during their training - hell, at one small hospital w/o a anesthesia residency program, OMFS residents even takes anesthesia call. I see podiatrists in the OR all the time - they are also trained in surgery. If you really want to do injections and surgeries, maybe you should consider medical school and then a surgical residency.

Status
Not open for further replies.