njms 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monu1234

med student (finally)
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's the class thread people have been pining for...

Members don't see this ad.

Yay. We finally have a thread.

:hardy: NJMS Class of 2012! :hardy:

If you're reading this, you've probably been accepted, so congrats! :)

Boomshakalaka. Pretty amped about it still. I'll definitely be going, congrats to everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
so psyched about this school. i look forward to seeing everyone at the lunch in the new year. hopefully they have some housing meetings too because i need a roomie!! congrats to everyone.

Unfortunately, their housing day is in June. I wish it was sooner so things can be decided ahead of time.

Although I don't have to worry, I'm planning on having a single studio in their new dorms (atleast for the first year). Afterwards, I'll look into getting a place in Society Hill.

Unfortunately, their housing day is in June. I wish it was sooner so things can be decided ahead of time.

Although I don't have to worry, I'm planning on having a single studio in their new dorms (atleast for the first year). Afterwards, I'll look into getting a place in Society Hill.

I know that the housing information says that incoming students are guaranteed housing and get first dibs on picking a place. But I heard from current first years that it is tough for incoming students to get studios or one bedrooms b/c there many people don't want to give up their studios/apartments... Can anyone comment on this?

Yeah I was wondering myself about the housing thing. I'll need to figure that out at some point. I won't really know anyone when I start but I'm pretty sure I want to find some roommates.

Just got the call from Dr. Heinrich last night! Clearly making it the best Thanksgiving of my life...

Congrats to everyone who has been recently accepted!

Now, I can't wait for August...NJMS 2012!

Sup! Who wants to live off campus?

ooh this is exciting i totally didnt know this thread was here, so who has info for me on the accepted students luncheon/reception? congrats to everyone btw :D
i also asked this question over in the rwj thread but im not COMPLETELY sure which school im going to although im definitely leaning towards njms. is it weird to go to both receptions? i dont really know much about this stuff

You can definitely go to both, it really makes no difference.

Hey guys do any of you know when we're due to recieve the financial aid package from NJMS? Also, when is the earliest that we can notify the school that we want to matriculate? I put in my deposit to hold place in the class, but I'm positive I'm going to NJMS so I just want to make it official and get it out of the way.

Hey everyone....I am excited to meet all of you!!! I am definitely going to NJMS...Hey voiceofreason...I am in the same boat as you..I just want to give my money so that I know it is done...I'll try and get some info for us:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a fancy invitation to the lunch by mail yesterday.

I also want to let them know that I want to attend NJMS for sure. That way, I can start filing for aid and for the on-campus housing.

I can't wait for this year to be finished..I feel like I'm just passing time until August. I'm sure almost all of you feel the same way. :D

I certainly do, I seriously cannot wait to meet all of you and get started

Who plays basketball?!

Edit: So I pulled out the stuff I got in the mail and it says in february we can start to deal with financial aid. Still can't find anything about signing on the dotted line if you would definitely like to matriculate though, I'm guessing that comes later, like closer to may 15th. One other thing, has anyone else released their background check to the school yet? I released mine on november 22nd but I haven't heard anything from NJMS regarding their satisfaction with it or even that they recieved it.. hm..

I mean I'm sure they'll be satisfied with it, I don't have any criminal record of any kind, but I'd still like to know that they have it and are ok with it.

I play basketball...Man this is exciting...It is like starting undergrad all over again...I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

hey guys, im not going home until after finals so i havent seen the invitation for the luncheon thingy...anyone know if we can bring parents? they really wanna see the school that i keep talking about so much :p

I don't play basketball cause I suck at it. I'm happy when I hit the backboard, let alone make a shot in...lol

I released my background check a while ago, but I haven't heard anything from them either. I guess not hearing from them is a good thing.

The luncheon invitation is only for you, the accepted student. It doesn't say anything about bringing guests/parents, so I guess it's for students only?

Make sure to RSVP by Dec 31!

I'm so excited, I've started doing the following stuff already:
Start looking for good deals on laptops
Plan out how I'm going to set everything up in the dorm (they have a pic of the dorm roooms on their site)
Plan out my study schedule (they have the first year student schedule as well)
Plan out the annual budget for the first year
Am I the only neurotic one here? :scared:

lol I've mostly been reading as much as I can about financial aid. Neurotically, I guess you could say. Other than that I'm lookin at buying a new wardrobe cause this stuff I have is all well and good for an undergrad but I don't know about for a professional student.

And mundane I'm not that great at it either, I haven't been on a team since freshman year in high school. Its just a fun way to get your cardio in for the day.

I may call them about the background check soon.

Edit: You can bring your folks if you want I think. I'll be coming just by myself though.

Hey everyone..how soon after you got the acceptance call did you receive the packet in the mail?...Thanks!

I got the call from Dean H. on a sunday night and then i received the acceptance packet at my house the following friday. you should probably call them to make sure it hasn't gotten lost in the mail if you haven't received it within a week

Hey guys,

Do you know what the general wait time between interview and acceptance notice is? It says "4 to 6 weeks" on the website, but some of my friends got accepted in 3 weeks and some have been waiting for 9 weeks now. What is your personal experience w/ the wait time?

One of my friends and I interviewed on 11/13 and 11/12 respectively, and it's been almost 6 weeks and we've been hearing the chirping of crickets ever since. :scared:

Thanks,

DescentFan

Hey guys,

Do you know what the general wait time between interview and acceptance notice is? It says "4 to 6 weeks" on the website, but some of my friends got accepted in 3 weeks and some have been waiting for 9 weeks now. What is your personal experience w/ the wait time?

One of my friends and I interviewed on 11/13 and 11/12 respectively, and it's been almost 6 weeks and we've been hearing the chirping of crickets ever since. :scared:

Thanks,

DescentFan

It might take a little work, but if you go to the pre-med section and look under the NJ schools thread you will see that a lot of people posted when their interview was and then later on they posted when they were accepted. Some people also included when they interviewed when they posted their acceptance. I waited just under 6 weeks. Hope that helps:)

This thread looks like it needs some action. Has anyone been up to anything interesting recently? Anything new about NJMS? Is anyone interested in the Cancer Institute? I'm just trying to get some conversation started. When will everyone be moving to Newark, if you even are?

or not...lol

lol..most people have final exams during this week, so I guess they're staying away from SDN. (I shouldn't be on SDN either, I have a final exam today! :scared:)

I'll be moving to Newark as soon as all the housing paperwork is filled out for the dorms. I want to try to move there atleast two weeks before classes start to set up the apartment, meet people, find local stores with cheap prices, etc..

Once final exams are over, I'll be able to start researching stuff about NJMS, and check out the nearby area (I'll be doing research over the winter break in Newark, so I'll have plenty of time to scout everything out.)

When are you planning on moving there?

Err..back to studying for that final exam..

As we get closer to the accepted student luncheon I will PM you folks my actual name so that we might manage to find each other among the crowd.

Am I the only that one that literally doesn't know anyone even associated with UMDNJ? No friends or family there.

lol..most people have final exams during this week, so I guess they're staying away from SDN. (I shouldn't be on SDN either, I have a final exam today! :scared:)

I'll be moving to Newark as soon as all the housing paperwork is filled out for the dorms. I want to try to move there atleast two weeks before classes start to set up the apartment, meet people, find local stores with cheap prices, etc..

Once final exams are over, I'll be able to start researching stuff about NJMS, and check out the nearby area (I'll be doing research over the winter break in Newark, so I'll have plenty of time to scout everything out.)

When are you planning on moving there?

Err..back to studying for that final exam..

I'm thinking of moving in around the same time as you...I would really like to get acquainted with the area ya know...And I'll definitely be researching stuff over the break in Newark, and we can exchange any info we find out... Good luck on your exams!

What a great holiday gift...got my call from Dr. H! I guess I will see you all in the fall (or at least at the luncheon)! :D

congrats caliprincess and everyone else who is accepted to far.

about the luncheon next week...how are we supposed to dress, i'm guessing business casual. also, are we just having lunch or is there some type of tour involved given that they say we should be there 11:30 and lunch will start at 1:00.

anyone ever been to one of these? thanks

Hey congrats caliprincess and anyone else I missed!

According to the website, the luncheon dress is business casual.

Congrats on the acceptances!

Don't forget to RSVP, the last day to do so in Monday, Dec 31.

They say it's a tour from 11:30-1:00, and lunch at 1:00.

Hey everyone! So is anyone else really excited for the lunch? lol... Are all of you definitely going?

Hi! yeah im soo excited to meet all you guys and everyone else that will be there ;) im curious though how a tour can last an hour and a half? btw, does njms have a gym? i dont remember

yea i'll definitely be coming...hopefully the tour won't be over the top boring. Yes njms does have a small basketball court and some semblance of a gym although i doubt you will enjoy using the facility...lol

on a positive note at least 2008 will begin with some excitement cuz I've been bored outta my mind this past semester...anyone else feel like that?

o and when do we start getting the forms for immunizations, financial aid, etc.?

yea i'll definitely be coming...hopefully the tour won't be over the top boring. Yes njms does have a small basketball court and some semblance of a gym although i doubt you will enjoy using the facility...lol

on a positive note at least 2008 will begin with some excitement cuz I've been bored outta my mind this past semester...anyone else feel like that?

o and when do we start getting the forms for immunizations, financial aid, etc.?

Absolutely. I'm not sure if you're just talking about the new years celebrations but early 2008 will be just as boring as late 2007 with the exception of the holidays. I just cannot wait to get started. My family and friends tell me to stop wishing my life away. But I'm only wishing these next couple months away, first of all, and second I'm bored now and will continue to be bored until med school starts. So I don't really see a problem with the next couple months just disappearing.

I wonder how many people will be at the luncheon...I feel like I'm going to be walking up randomly to people like...soooo, are you on sdn? I'll prob start pming ppl when it gets closer to Friday..

I wonder how many people will be at the luncheon...I feel like I'm going to be walking up randomly to people like...soooo, are you on sdn? I'll prob start pming ppl when it gets closer to Friday..

Haha...I think we should put our SDN names on our name tags! Then it will be an inside thing for us SDNers and the other students will feel left out ;)

Hey! I will be at the luncheon tomorrow...looking forward to meeting everyone!!

BTW...are you guys wearing ties or not?

I'll be the Indian guy with the shiny blue dress shirt + shiny blue tie. :cool:

And I guess to identify SDNers, we can underline our names or circle them or something. I'm gonna circle my name with a zigzag. We can be like a gang or something if we all do it..lol.

See ya guys there.

I wasn't going to bother with a tie. Dress is business casual so I think that means ties aren't necessary. Basically I'll wear a blue button-down with some chinos and loafers, probably a blazer too since its cold out.

Hey! Does anyone know when the first day of class in August is supposed to be?

damn i feel all left out I just remembered SDN. I'll be there tomorrow but I dont know anyone... i need a friend haha any offers

I wasn't going to bother with a tie. Dress is business casual so I think that means ties aren't necessary. Basically I'll wear a blue button-down with some chinos and loafers, probably a blazer too since its cold out.

Well I guess I'll be the only idiot wearing a tie. :laugh:

I'd love to hear about the luncheon, what went on, etc. when you guys get back. I wasn't able to make it b/c of work! Thanks!

aww dont worry you didnt miss that much, we got free lunchbags and mugs though =) always fun
mostly though they just told us more of what we already knew, the tour was pretty much the same as the interview day so you didnt miss anything there...
the fin aid lady said she'd send us stuff at the end of january, a parents day will be in march (its for parents only), housing day in june, the student run clinic seems pretty awesome though from what the director was saying--its all student run and teams of 3 students (a 4th year, a 3rd year and a 1st/2nd year) see patients who really cant afford any other healthcare
everyone was really nice, especially the other accepted students i met =)
hmmm thats all i can really remember im sure others can add to whatever i left out :rolleyes:

aww dont worry you didnt miss that much, we got free lunchbags and mugs though =) always fun
mostly though they just told us more of what we already knew, the tour was pretty much the same as the interview day so you didnt miss anything there...
the fin aid lady said she'd send us stuff at the end of january, a parents day will be in march (its for parents only), housing day in june, the student run clinic seems pretty awesome though from what the director was saying--its all student run and teams of 3 students (a 4th year, a 3rd year and a 1st/2nd year) see patients who really cant afford any other healthcare
everyone was really nice, especially the other accepted students i met =)
hmmm thats all i can really remember im sure others can add to whatever i left out :rolleyes:

I think that pretty much sums up everything...and I must agree...the student run clinic seems awesome!!...did anyone happen to hear when we can start going after housing??...everyone I asked didn't give me a straight answer...lol...I know the housing day is in June...but is that when we can put in our deposit or can we put in the deposit before then?