NJ pharmacy intern application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here. Sorry if this has been posted or is posted in the wrong place, but I haven't been able to locate he NJ pharmacy intern application anywhere online. Can someone please please please help me?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I'm new here. Sorry if this has been posted or is posted in the wrong place, but I haven't been able to locate he NJ pharmacy intern application anywhere online. Can someone please please please help me?
Thanks!

there is none, getting a pharm intern license is like trying to pump your own gas in NJ.

What confetti is trying to say is that.... NJ doesn't have an intern application b/c NJ doesn't require intern hours. Your IPPE/APPE hours are enough to get licensed in NJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
What confetti is trying to say is that.... NJ doesn't have an intern application b/c NJ doesn't require intern hours. Your IPPE/APPE hours are enough to get licensed in NJ.

I just looked at my school's page, and yes that is correct. You just need to fill out a form (as usual) when applying for a pharmacist's license, listing your intern hours. Now interning in PA is a pain!

But then what's all this stuff I read: http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/proposal/phpro012009.htm

"5. For pharmacy interns as follows:
i. Application for registration 50.00
ii. Initial registration fee 70.00
iii. Registration renewal (One time only) 70.00"

How do I apply then?
I could've swore my roomie told me that applying for it can take up to 6 mos., so since he wanted a job asap he took one in Brooklyn, NY (we go to school at St. John's University in Jamaica, NY so we already have intern permits for the state of NY).

Bacillus - do u know how many hours we need?

Thanks!

yeah I worked in a hospital in Jersey. They didn't call me an intern because there is no such thing. Jersey is weird with your panhandles and such.

yeah I worked in a hospital in Jersey. They didn't call me an intern because there is no such thing. Jersey is weird with your panhandles and such.

HEY HEY HEY, we take pride in our panhandles!:nod:

What does the following refer to then??? (which i found on the NJ gov site i linked above)

5. For pharmacy interns as follows:

iii. Registration renewal (One time only) 70.00

___

iAyudame, por favor! I'm confuzzled :(

I'm in New Jersey. There is no official "intern license" here like there is in New York. Therefore you do not have to worry about getting one.

But then what's all this stuff I read: http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/proposal/phpro012009.htm

"5. For pharmacy interns as follows:
iii. Registration renewal (One time only) 70.00"

If you read further down the page:

The Board is amending the existing definition of "pharmacy intern" to clarify that an intern means a person who is employed at an approved pharmacy training site for the purpose of acquiring practical experience. In order to be considered a pharmacy intern, an individual must fall into one of three categories recognized in the new rule. The individual must be: (1) a graduate of an ACPE approved school or college of pharmacy who is making an application for initial licensure as a pharmacist more than two years following his or her graduation; (2) a graduate from a school or college of pharmacy in a foreign country that has not been accredited by ACPE or that has not been deemed ACPE-equivalent; or (3) an applicant for reciprocal licensure who has not been engaged in the practice of pharmacy for at least 1,500 hours within the two-year period immediately preceding his or her application to the Board.

So, a pharmacy intern in NJ is someone that has already graduated from pharmacy school.

Hope that clears things up.

Driving in NJ is weird, all those taxes and no left turns? pffff

And as a student, you're effed in Jersey if you want to practice in any other state that requires outside intern hours. You're stuck for a year until you can reciprocate sans intern hours, or else you have to obtain an intern license in DE, PA, or NY and accrue hours there.

And as a student, you're effed in Jersey if you want to practice in any other state that requires outside intern hours. You're stuck for a year until you can reciprocate sans intern hours, or else you have to obtain an intern license in DE, PA, or NY and accrue hours there.

true story :thumbup:

DE doesn't need hours either. It's 1500 but they can all come from IPPEs/APPES. It just depends on how many APPE hours your school does.

DE doesn't need hours either. It's 1500 but they can all come from IPPEs/APPES. It just depends on how many APPE hours your school does.

Yes, but you can be licensed with the state and accrue hours with DE yes? I recall looking at paperwork for DE when considering a job out there. You can then send those hours to other states.

NJ doesn't do this at all, so you're SOL. Good thing the state is pretty small so you have access to DE/PA/NY if you want to accrue hours over the summer or something.

I needed some clarification on this - in NJ when you are a pharmacy student working at a retail pharmacy are you considered a pharmacy intern or a pharmacy technician?

I am studying for my MPJE exam and this is confusing me because at work I was always refered to as a pharmacy intern and I was allowed to take new prescriptions over the phone. However, according to the definition of an intern, I was actually a technician and shouldnt have been allowed to take new prescriptions..?

Any help/clarification would be appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user

Wait so just to clarify: If I graduate from Rutgers there is no possible way to simultaneously get a NJ and NY license unless I worked as an intern in NY? So someone from NJ cant apply for out of state residencies unless they interned in that state? Or are residencies different?

A little confused because Ive never heard anything like this. Ive always thought that a decent amount of Rutgers students end up outside of NJ, and ive never really heard any frustration in doing so.

are there even jobs in nj?? I have to still take the reciprocity exam but Im getting married and have to move there.. afraid im never going to find a job!!

Jersey is weird with your panhandles and such.

Ummm, you mean jughandles?

Jughandles and full service gas stations are awesome. Idiots trying to turn left through 3 lanes of oncoming traffic that hold up flow in the left lane are completely unnecessary. And I get to stay in the car for freezing winter days and rain...so win. :D

So I just graduated from school in MA and looking into working as a graduate pharmacist in NJ (my home base). What licensure do I need in order to work in a NJ pharmacy until I can officially obtain my NJ pharmacist license? Do you guys think I need to obtain a pharm tech license in the interim or is it necessary? I heard you can just work as is etc. Hate this gray area. Please let me know! Thanks!