NIH Summer Intership Program (SIP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osujic1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to this program in the beginning of February, LOR were sent in a bit later towards the end of February and not its super late in March and I haven't heard anything back from anyone. When I initially submitted my appliction I made the mistake of only emailing a couple of PI's for a spot in their lab, all of which got back to me within a few days that they were unable to offer a position this summer. School kicked up and I didn't email anyone again until this week when I got back from almost if not all of my other programs that I hadnt gotten placed (bummer). Now I have no summer research position, which I was really hoping for. I emailed between 30-50 PI's yesterday and today with inquires and about a fourth of them have gotten back to me stating that their labs are full. Damn. Its my fault yes I know, but I REALLY want position with the NIH this summer which I suppose in the real world doesn't actually count for much but I really do lol.

My question, other people who applied? When did you hear back from the lab that selected you? And do you guys think its still worth sending out these emails? There are 1000+ PI's and reading through their work and sending out non-generic emails is time consuming but absolutely worth it if I get a lab. The responses are nice but nice rejections non the less.

"Sorry, I have no more spots in for the summer. I wish I could help more. I wish you the best of luck in finding a lab...sent from iPhone"

Is it worth still trying? Thoughts advice anyone?

Members don't see this ad.