Night float only TYs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donvicious

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any transitional year programs in which you only do night float? Like most people, I hate making the sleep adjustment for q3 and q4 call.

Members don't see this ad.

great question. i'd be interested in knowing this also. anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who works the days if it's "Night Float Only" and everyone's busy working nights?

dude i'm pretty sure he meant night float as opposed to taking overnight call, not in substitution for working during the day ever.

Everyone couldn't do night float at the same time. Radiology programs that have a strict night float system have their residents take turns doing one weeks of nights.

Baptist TY in Birmingham is almost exclusively night float.

If I had to do intern year over again knowing what I know now, my #1 criteria for picking a program would be to find the one with the least amount of call. Call is such a tremendous waste of your life. It doesn't matter how great of a city you are in, if you are taking a lot of traditional call, you are going to be too tired to enjoy much of anything.

If I had to do intern year over again knowing what I know now, my #1 criteria for picking a program would be to find the one with the least amount of call. Call is such a tremendous waste of your life. It doesn't matter how great of a city you are in, if you are taking a lot of traditional call, you are going to be too tired to enjoy much of anything.

Amen to that. I am a TY, going into ophthalmology. Next week I will start Ob-Gyn, where I will do GYN clinic, and q3 L&D call. My family may forget who I am by the end of the month. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to pay my dues in order to move onto my specialty training next year. But no matter how you slice it, overnight call sucks. It sucks even worse when you have to work an entire day of clinic before your call shift, then do a half day of clinic after call.

What by standards in the TY world is 'too much call'?

I do one month of Q3 call (MICU), 4 months of Q4 call (SICU, NSICU, Ortho, Trauma), and 2 months of something like Q8 call (medicine, cards).

I think my schedule is decent and the call months (ICUs) are not usually BS and you tend to get more out of ICU call than floor call...

What by standards in the TY world is 'too much call'?

For OP: Check out Virginia Mason in Seattle, also Deaconess in Spokane. I know for sure Deaconess has true night float, ie you never stay overnight.

Too much call for TY: My opinion, one night is too much call. I'm a big fan of the true night float. Generally, you can find many progs with <4-5 mo Q 4 call.

Can you guys explain night float? I am assuming it means someone ELSE covers the call and you pick up the patients the next day. So does that mean you never do call/

For OP: Check out Virginia Mason in Seattle, also Deaconess in Spokane. I know for sure Deaconess has true night float, ie you never stay overnight.

Too much call for TY: My opinion, one night is too much call. I'm a big fan of the true night float. Generally, you can find many progs with <4-5 mo Q 4 call.

Night float is where someone comes in at 6 or 7 pm (or somewhere in that vicinity) and you sign out your patients to them (tell them how everyone's doing, what to look out for overnight). They cover until like 7 am or whatever and then sign out any overnight events to the primary day team. The night float residents are on night float usually for a week or a month at a time (usually a month here). With true night float, they admit patients overnight and tell the day team about those patients in the morning. Then they go home.