Nice comments on Trinity in the NYT Education Life Today!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Subscribers (non-subscribers tomorrow) to the New York Times will see a lot of nice comments about Trinity in the Times Education Life supplement. I just thought those considering studying International might be interested in checking the article out.

Members don't see this ad.

chiefy said:
Subscribers (non-subscribers tomorrow) to the New York Times will see a lot of nice comments about Trinity in the Times Education Life supplement. I just thought those considering studying International might be interested in checking the article out.

Drove all over town to find a NY Times, paid $10, and all it says is Trinity is the "Harvard Of Ireland" in referring to the university. Absolutely no comment on the medical school.

Squint said:
Drove all over town to find a NY Times, paid $10, and all it says is Trinity is the "Harvard Of Ireland" in referring to the university. Absolutely no comment on the medical school.

Certainly when it comes to Arts and some departments in Science, Trinity deserves that title, but it's other faculties aren't head and shoulders above the other Irish universities. Engineering lags behind UCD, and I'd say that Medicine in TCD and UCD are roughly on a par.

Basically, it does tend to rest on its laurels a bit due to the fact it was founded several hundred years before Ireland's next universities.

Members don't see this ad :)
dr strangelove said:
Certainly when it comes to Arts and some departments in Science, Trinity deserves that title, but it's other faculties aren't head and shoulders above the other Irish universities. Engineering lags behind UCD, and I'd say that Medicine in TCD and UCD are roughly on a par.

Basically, it does tend to rest on its laurels a bit due to the fact it was founded several hundred years before Ireland's next universities.

Spoken like a true UCD student/graduate...!! :laugh:

If Trinity and UCD are roughly on par, how would you guys say UCC compares?

dr strangelove said:
Do you deny it? ;)

Ah we've been here many times before. Not much separates the quality of teaching in any of the medical schools in Ireland (or the UK for that matter).

dlformiga1 said:
If Trinity and UCD are roughly on par, how would you guys say UCC compares?

UCC medicine certainly has a very good reputation with regard to research. I spoke to one of the Scottish external examiners for the Irish medical schools recently and he told me that Cork also had the best undergraduate school for medicine in country. I'm sceptical myself; I think UCD and TCD are better, with Cork third, but that was his view.

Still, it doesn't have the international reputation of TCD, and to a lesser extent, UCD.

dr strangelove said:
UCC medicine certainly has a very good reputation with regard to research. I spoke to one of the Scottish external examiners for the Irish medical schools recently and he told me that Cork also had the best undergraduate school for medicine in country. I'm sceptical myself; I think UCD and TCD are better, with Cork third, but that was his view.

Still, it doesn't have the international reputation of TCD, and to a lesser extent, UCD.

Whatever about comparing other university faculties...there's no point in comparing medical schools. Ranking is either based on subjective factors (which are a waste of time) or attributes such as research income or publication citations, which have no bearing on undergraduate medical teaching.

I love this duelling schools thing. It's all so subjective and everyone wants to know they attend the best school and that their credentials will cut a swath in advance of their illustrious medical career. (Just as I'm realizing that as a parent, everyone wants to be sure they have the smartest, most developed, socially adept child.) In the end, Oz and Ireland are both going to look similar to NAmerican residency placements and within-country, the school that you attended probably won't matter at all (as long as it's not "Bob's Medikul Skule"). You (might) find more name recognition for TCD but even that won't guarantee you a better look or preferred candidacy. Chill out and enjoy your hard-fought space in a reputable medical school.