NHSC Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is notified about NHSC scholarships, could you please post?

Members don't see this ad.

Double elle,

I called NHSC a few days ago and they told me that letters will start to go out next Monday! But you could hear something all the way up to September 30. I'm starting to get nervous.....Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious, because I'm thinking of trying for the NHSC scholarship next year, how much is the monthly stipend?

Thanks,

mompremed,

I believe the amount of the stipend changes slightly from year to year, but this year's monthly stipend is around $1100.

Thanks!

'Nother question. That is less than the amount the school allows to live on, so can you borrow the rest if you need to? I'm a single mom with no outside support so I need every last penny they will allow me to have!

Thanks again,

Good question....I was wondering the same thing myself. I think that you can borrow additional from private medical loans, but I'm not sure.

From what I know, you can borrow from your school the difference between their estimated cost and what NHSC covers.

I don't suppose they would tell us our status over the phone, would they? Has anyone tried?

for those waiting to hear back- could you tell us what you felt were your strengths [background, ambtion, family etc.] to help you get the interview? Also are you all first yrs looking to get the scholarship for 2nd-4th year?

if all this info is on a webpage somewhere, just point me in the right direction :)

I got the scholarship....I was quite surprised and happy..

Anyone else hear back??

I am psyched!

No more school loans!

Can someone tell me what this scholarship is please?

Woo hoo!!!! I got it also! Just got the letter in the mail today. I am absolutely thrilled.

Exigente, the NHSC scholarship is a full tuition + monthly stipend scholarship in exchange for working in an underserved area after your residency.

Good luck to everyone else who is still waiting to hear back!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by USeF
for those waiting to hear back- could you tell us what you felt were your strengths [background, ambtion, family etc.] to help you get the interview? Also are you all first yrs looking to get the scholarship for 2nd-4th year?

if all this info is on a webpage somewhere, just point me in the right direction :)

I, too, would like some more info on this...:confused:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they're sending out notices alphabetically by last name. I guess I'm just getting a little impatient because I haven't heard anything since my interview....which was in the beginning of May. If anyone has any info, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Has anyone had any luck at getting information over the phone? If so, could you reveal your secrets? I haven't been getting my mail regularly since June and the people I have spoken to at the NHSC have been decidedly unsympathetic. I am somewhat anxious about whether I will get a scholarship and if so, how I will find out.

Hi everyone,

I have called NHSC in regards to getting more info about when we'll be getting our notification. The representative said that they're mailing them out in batches. It's not alphabetical by last name or anything like that. It all depends on where you interviewed and how/when that place send in your information. If you ask realllly nicely, she'll even tell you whether or not your letter was sent...although she won't tell you what the letter says. Oh yeah, she also said that they're not doing any email notifications. I guess for now, we all just have to wait....jesus it's like med-aps again. Good luck to all and study hard :)

I dunno if this helps...but I interviewed in early June, and heard back on Aug 12, which was my 1st day of school.
People in my class recvieved their acceptance today and yesturday, so apparently they are going out in "batches"

Good Luck...

Hi everyone, just an update about the scholarship. My roomate finally got her letter yesterday (8/28/02) and she was put on the alternate list. In her letter it said that all positions/acceptances have been filled and the acceptees have been notified. Now, I don't know what that means for those of us whom have not heard anything yet. It could mean: alternate or rejection. Definitely correct me if I'm wrong. Sorry for the horrid news before labor day weeked, but I thought you guys would like to know and hopefully I'M WRONG and they're still sending out acceptances!!!!!

Just out of curiosity,

For those who did receive the scholarship, did you agree to work in rural or urban areas??

DOnut,
As far as the scholarship goes...you don't have to commit to any area or place when interviewing. They just want to make sure that you intend to work in one of those areas, and that you are not just doing it for the money.
When you finish your residency...you can pick from a multitude of areas and places...all up to you. There is a web site that lists the areas...and you pick where you want to go....you have total autonomy where you practice and work...

I know. I was a finalist and I just found out that I did not receive the scholarship. I'm trying to figure out why seeing that my profile (So I thought ) fit what they were looking for exactly. Plus I applied for all of the right reasons.

Regardless of what the brochure says, I know that NHSC stresses rural medicine more that urban. When I interviewed, I told them that I wanted to work in an urban area that is underserved (ie- where I grew up...in the ghetto). They then told me that people who want to work in rural areas receive a higher "point" than those who wish to work in a city.

Sorry, forgive me for ranting, I just want to see what people who actually received the scholarship said during their interview.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get it....Being a Long Islander and working in Manhattan...I couldn't imagine working in a rural area....I told them I was more interested in working in the prisons...which seemingly no one else wanted to...so that might have given me an edge...but who's to know for sure?
I applied to med school 2x......

1st time...3 interviews...no acceptances...

2nd time(following year)
11 interviews/12 applications and 10 acceptances....

All seemingly random....

I had asked and they told me that I wasn't accepted this year, that I am free to apply for next year...so that is an option..

Best of luck...and rememeber....no matter what...we will all be doctors...!!!!

I haven't received anything yet, either...but I can tell you that I specifically told them that I would be staying rural, whether I received the scholarship or not. I figured if ANYTHING illustrated what my plans were, it was that. They also asked why I deserved it above other applicants and I told them staying rural was a lifestyle for me, not a required 4-year-only committment and I should be considered above those who will do their time and then move on, leaving patients and a community behind.

I know people that were applying for just the money aspect, and that's fine...it's a scholarship, why else would you apply? However, I am wondering what the stats are regarding recipients who bail after their committment is served.

Anyway, it seems as if the people notified in the first couple of batches received the scholarship, and now people are only posting that they didn't receive it....so, it seems as if they really have notified all the lucky ones. However, when I called to change my address and make sure nothing had been mailed and lost, the lady told me that letters could be mailed as late as October....if they've already chosen the recipients, why wouldn't they just mail out the rejections now??? That really makes no sense!

All I know is that I walked out of that interview feeling like those two people absolutely hated me, as did my classmates that interviewed. So, not getting the scholarship won't be a surprise to me, even though my intentions are up there with the best of them.

Anyway, keep posting as you hear things, please!

Okay, I JUST called NHSC and straight up asked if all the recipients had been notified. I also asked if the remaining letters going out are all rejections.

The guy told me that ALLLLLLLL remaining letters went out last Thursday and contained ALLLLLLL remaining rejections and congrats.

So, watch your mailboxes, people!!!!!! (and keep those fingers crossed!)

Good luck double elle!!

Let us know what happens

Anyone know when we will start receiving our payments?

Andrea,

Congrats on getting the scholarship.....I too am waiting for our 1st dispursement...
My fellow classmates that got it last year had to wait till early November for their 1st check...which was for a few thousand dollars...back dated to August. I vaguely recall them saying the same thing at the interview...so we have a good 6-8 weeks to wait for the almighty direct deposit to come.
They called me the other day about filling out my direct deposit form and the such...so they are definately getting things in order...but like I said....Nov seems to be the soonest...

Waiting...oh the joy....

Thanks Yosh! Wow, we're going to be so rich in November. A few thousand dollars could pay for some really good nights on the town. ha ha

I guess it is all a waiting game.....but knowing that the money is coming is NICE....

Just waiting for the "Direct Deposit"....

Andrea & Yosh-

You're right the money is coming, but don't expect it any time before November. We didn't get out first payment until mid Nov last year.

You'll be getting back from Aug and your equipment fee.

A word to the wise, NHSC takes out federal txes but not state - and unless you live in a state that exempts you b/c you're a med student, you'll either want to set money aside each month or know that you're going to owe the state some money in April.

Enjoy!

Can we say....DIRECT DEPOSIT is here?
I just stopped home, cause I don't have a Psych Final on Friday and a Cardio final in Monday...but peered in my "trusty" mailbox...and found the direct deposit payment for $7,794.76...ahhh Can we say 1st drink is on me?

Apparently the total 1st dispursement from the summer to now is $8,722.00 and after the $927.24 in federal tax....I am left with a nice chunk of pocket change....BRS Books? First Aid Books? Step Up? How's about shots all around the bar??

Anyhow...I am back to Psych....

Just figured I'd keep ya'll posted!!!

How are you all living withou the money from he NHSC? I won't have a dime heading into medschool, so how am I supposed to wait until November to EAT????

Vanessa

Until the "money" comes...you have student loans that you can live on during the interim. When the scholarship comes in...you can either pay them back...or just pay it when you graduate. People just planned on living on their scholarship funds..and were broke till November.....

Hi I was wondering if any of the receipents of the scholarship could tell me how long is the initial commitment. And congrats to all the winners!!!!

I called the NHSC people a few months ago requesting an application for the 2003 year and they said they'd send me one...

anyone know when those applications go out? I'm assuming since people are just now finding out whether or not they got the scholarship that they probably won't start the new application process until the beginning of the year?

I'd also love to hear from those of you interviewed and/or accepted the kinds of things the NHSC stresses. How important is the school you are planning on attending? Or your actual MCATs/GPA/etc? I've been reading the NHSC website like a stalker ;)

;)

2003 applications will be mailed in the second week of January, per HRSA, and will still be due March 31, 2003...

Hope that helps.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of salary you would be looking at if you were a scholarship recipient and worked at a rural/urban "clinics" after residency? Say for internal or family medicine?

Also, do you know if your present salary is a factor in determining whether or not you would get a scholarship? I make excellent money now, but of course will lose that when I start medical school.

Does anyone know what factors they take into account when determining a recipient?

Thanks for any and all info!

Marley

Salaries are negotiated between the clinic and you. Unless in a federal facility such as a prison. All salaries have to at least equal to the wage a doctor would make working in a federal position. From what I have found that seems to be a minimum of about 95000.00.

Just wanted to say good luck to all of you applying out there!

I went through the process last year...and made it.
I am a 2nd year and through NHSC...I have an opportunity to do a 4 month rotation in Alaska 4th year.

I am really glad I applied and got it.

Any questions....please feel free to post, PM or e-mail me.

I'll be happy to answer any questions....

Best of luck to all...

GET THOSE APPS in EARLY!!!!

what type of advice do you have for a student applying for the NHSC? any helpful hints or info? also, does it really make a difference to turn it in way early like before the end of january? please let me know and congrats on your success with comp and the nhsc.....