NHSC Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm...no email here yet. Congrats though!

Have any other dental students heard back?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Finalist email at 5:41. Now my nerves need to clam down.

Members don't see this ad :)
btw the portal totally changes once you get the email. It has an "I accept..." and submit button. Jawssss when did you get the email? Good luck to everyone!

btw the portal totally changes once you get the email. It has an "I accept..." and submit button. Jawssss when did you get the email? Good luck to everyone!

I got my email at 3:43 pm (Mountain Time).

Yeah and the portal totally changes when you get the email. It has a bunch of forms for you to fill out.

The email itself really didn't say anything.. But the portal when you log in says all the congrats stuffs. And basically tells you that this is no guarantee of receiving the scholarship :(

Proxbox... Questions

1.) Is the above pretty much the same for you?
2.) Is your new status "Finalist for Award"?
3.) Do you have to "accept" (step 1) then fill out:

Step 2 - Bank info with routing numbers
Step 3 - W-4
Step 4 - education verification form

?

In other words, did you have to fill out a "contract" for the four years as well? I didn't have that option but in past years they said that they had to fill a contract out and sign it four times.

Let me know.

i got my email at 3:43 pm (mountain time).

Yeah and the portal totally changes when you get the email. It has a bunch of forms for you to fill out.

The email itself really didn't say anything.. But the portal when you log in says all the congrats stuffs. And basically tells you that this is no guarantee of receiving the scholarship :(

proxbox... Questions

1.) is the above pretty much the same for you?
2.) is your new status "finalist for award"?
3.) do you have to "accept" (step 1) then fill out:

Step 2 - bank info with routing numbers
step 3 - w-4
step 4 - education verification form

?

In other words, did you have to fill out a "contract" for the four years as well? I didn't have that option but in past years they said that they had to fill a contract out and sign it four times.

Let me know.

pm

Sending in all the forms now (holy cow my school responded fast)

Let's see how long this takes to hear back.

Also, I called and asked about the "four year contract" that everyone had to sign when they received the finalist position in previous years and the lady at the NHSC said that this year you will receive the contract when you OFFICIALLY receive the award. :scared:

Sending in all the forms now (holy cow my school responded fast)

Let's see how long this takes to hear back.

Also, I called and asked about the "four year contract" that everyone had to sign when they received the finalist position in previous years and the lady at the NHSC said that this year you will receive the contract when you OFFICIALLY receive the award. :scared:

Damn, what a tease. Congratulations!

Update from the DO forum... A person that just submitted said that once you get past the "first" screen, then you will electronically sign the four year contract. So, I guess we will sign the contract right now.

w4s are so confusing!

Has anyone besides the two people above received the email?

I haven't heard from anyone that has... (Besides those on the DO forum)

Which makes me think that they were being conservative with their offers for finalist positions.

I would imagine that more acceptances will be going out next week. (After the 31st).

Contract signed and submitted!

Before I submitted I got a call asking if I was going to take it. I am sure they are trying get the responses asap so they can send out another round of emails.

Stay hopeful and positive. And keep the posts coming.

You guys hadn't heard anything from the date you submitted the application up until you received the finalist emails, right? There was no communication in-between?

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys hadn't heard anything from the date you submitted the application up until you received the finalist emails, right? There was no communication in-between?

Some people get a phone call to make sure they got the email and basically clarify if they will be accepting the scholarship.

I turned in my stuff on the first day, so, I would imagine that I will not be getting a phone call.

If last year is any indication... We should know if we "officially" received the scholarship in about 20 days.

Also, the contract actually says that when the secretary of health and human services (?) "counter-signs" the contract, then it is official. If last year is any indication of THIS then, we will have our contracts signed in 10-15 days.

By "we", its just you right now and Proxbox. But congratulations to you too! If you could please let me know if there is any update at all on other dental students receiving the scholarship, please keep me updated. Thanks again!

I heard nothing at all from the day I submitted the app until I got the email on the 23rd. Then they also called today (25th) to confirm that I received the email.

I ended up getting a call today even though I sent in my stuff a while ago.

She said that she expects more acceptances to go out!! (Just to let everyone know)

She said they are waiting to hear back "initial decisions" from people.

Congrats Jaws and Proxbox, hopefully some of us will hear soon too. I have a feeling that I will be applying again...no credit check for me

BUMP FOR A NEW WEEK!

(If anybody receives a finalist notification or if finalists get their contract signed please update)

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey there everyone. I'm brand new to SDN. Currently going into my 2nd year of dental school and applied for the NHSC scholarship. Thought I'd take the opportunity to finally join SDN since I've been reading this thread for the last week!

Congrats on the two previous people who've already heard back!

I got a credit check on July 3rd from the CBCINNOVIS people. Heres to hoping I'll be contacted soon, if at all!

Scheduled site maintenance tomorrow? Interestinggggggggggggggggggg.... :idea:

Am a first time loan repayment enrollee (Awarded loan $).PM or post any questions you need to ask.Ill be sure to help since i started the process this year 2013

NEW WEEK BUMP!!! :D

Update with updates!

Any finalists have their contract signed yet?

Has anyone heard back other than Jaws and ProxBox?

Haven't heard of any more life from NHSC yet :(

All quiet on this front too. Hurry up and decline your award Jaws, so more serious applicants can get it.

All quiet on this front too. Hurry up and decline your award Jaws, so more serious applicants can get it.

HAHA I am actually glad they no longer have that "withdraw" button on my portal anymore... Because I would be SO tempted to see what happened if I clicked it.

:scared:

The fact that it's gone makes me feel like I signed my life away...

K, so I'm new to the conversation.
Dang, so people have already been accepted? Does anybody know how many they accept each time?
I have the credit check on 3 July. Am I looking for anything specific in the "comments" or am I just looking to see if they checked it in general? And the only one that would give me a credit report was Experian. Equifax and Transunion said there was some sort of error. Do I even need to worry about the other two or is Experian the one that people are finding it on?

K, so I'm new to the conversation.
Dang, so people have already been accepted? Does anybody know how many they accept each time?
I have the credit check on 3 July. Am I looking for anything specific in the "comments" or am I just looking to see if they checked it in general? And the only one that would give me a credit report was Experian. Equifax and Transunion said there was some sort of error. Do I even need to worry about the other two or is Experian the one that people are finding it on?

Experian and Equifax are checked by the NHSC. If you were checked on the 3rd I think there is pretty much a 100% chance your credit was checked by the NHSC (I mean, what are the odds that it was someone else?)

Only a few of us have heard from the NHSC... And according to the silence on this board, I would assume that the NHSC has not invited anybody else to be a finalist.

Here is what the nursing forum said:

"I broke down and called today and she said if it says "under review" then there is still a chance of being admitted but it was getting close. She said all scholarship winners will be notified by the 31st."

And...

"I finally called myself. The guy was super nice! He told me that as of now most of the scholarships HAVE NOT been awarded yet and that the majority would be awarded this month. He also told me the main criteria for choosing recipients is financial need and disadvantaged background. He told me that if my status says "under review" then that is a good thing at this point because it means they havent got to my application yet. He said if it was no longer under review then I should be worried."

The nurse scholarship and the NHSC SP have the same deadlines and identical application processes. So, This might be what we see from the NHSC.

Why do you say that Sacapuntas?

Well, I didn't realize how much LORs played into the equation. I just re-used my dental school LORs that I highly doubt spoke directly to public health. I also used my wrong CV by mistake, I used a professional one that focused mainly on my previous career rather than volunteering and service.

It's great to know the criteria on how the scholarship is chosen, will be very helpful in preparing my application next year. Thanks Jawsss!

Well, I didn't realize how much LORs played into the equation. I just re-used my dental school LORs that I highly doubt spoke directly to public health. I also used my wrong CV by mistake, I used a professional one that focused mainly on my previous career rather than volunteering and service.

It's great to know the criteria on how the scholarship is chosen, will be very helpful in preparing my application next year. Thanks Jawsss!

No problem!

I keep trying to post everything I find because there is not much help for us on the 2012 thread... and the 2011 thread seems to be lacking some key details.

I should attach the PDF of the requirements so applicants next year will have something just in case this website is taken down. I think I will.

Last edited:
HERE Y'ALL GO! Good luck 2014 NHSC applicants!

NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE CORPS - SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM (NHSC- SP)

2013-2014 Scholarship Application Review Instructions

Review Open Period: June 10, 2013 – June 21, 2013

The following instructions are provided as a guide for reviewers in the evaluation and scoring the 2013-14 National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program applications. Reviewers must complete an electronic Scoring Sheet for each application prior to finishing the review.

Review Criteria and Maximum Score

Criterion 1: Academic Letter of Recommendation: 15 Points
Criterion 2: Non-Academic Letter of Recommendation: 15 Points
Criterion 3: Resume/Curriculum Vitae: 10 Points
Criterion 4: Essay 1: 20 Points
Criterion 5: Essay 2: 20 Points
Criterion 6: Essay 3: 20 Points

Rating Scale: An "Excellent' rating is given for a response that clearly meets and substantially exceeds the required elements. A ‘Poor' rating is for a response that does not meet the required elements.

Review Criteria & Rating Scale

Criterion 1: Academic Letter of Recommendation (15 Points)

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 13 - 15

Good; 9 - 12

Poor; 0 - 8

Required elements:
A. The recommender provides a strong knowledge of the applicant's academic performance and the length of time the recommender has known the applicant.

B. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's characteristics, interest and motivation to serve populations in areas of greatest need in health professional shortage areas (HPSA).

C. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's work experiences, pertinent course work, special projects, research, or other activities that demonstrate an interest in and commitment to serving underserved populations.

D. The recommender strongly feels or provides examples that the applicant is culturally competent and trained to serve in an underserved community.

E. The recommender's belief in the applicant's ability to work and communicate constructively with other people.

Criterion 2: Non-Academic Letter of Recommendation (15 Points)

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 13 - 15

Good; 9 - 12

Poor; 0 - 8

Required elements:

A. The recommender provides a description of the individual's relationship to the applicant and the length of time the recommender has known the applicant.

B. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's community/civic or other non-academic achievements.

C. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's work experiences and training or other activities that demonstrate an interest, experience, and commitment to serving underserved populations.

D. The recommender strongly feels that the applicant is culturally competent to serve in an underserved community.

E. The Applicant's ability to work and communicate constructively with other people

Criterion 3: Resume/Curriculum Vitae (10 Points)

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 9 - 10

Good; 6 - 8

Poor; 0 - 5

Required element:

Evaluate the applicant's resume/CV to determine (1) If it matches the applicant's

educational, volunteer and work experiences and; (2) if it supports the applicant's

commitment in obtaining training in primary care and serving in underserved communities

as required by NHSC.

Criterion 4: Essay 1 (20 Points)

Essay Question: How will the applicant contribute to the mission of the National Health Service Corps in providing care to underserved communities?

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 18 - 20

Good; 12 - 17

Poor; 0 - 11

Required element:

The applicant clearly describes his/her future professional goals and commitment to pursue a career in primary health care, and his/her personal knowledge of underserved communities, and demonstrates interest /motivation and commitment to working in underserved communities to contribute to the mission of the NHSC.

Criterion 5: Essay 2 (20 Points)

Essay Question: What experiences have the applicant had or activities have the applicant participated in that have prepared the applicant to work with underserved communities?

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 18 - 20

Good; 12 - 17

Poor; 0 - 11

Required element:

The applicant clearly describes his/her experience and activities (for example, community service and/or volunteer work) which have prepared him/her to work with underserved populations/communities.

Criterion 6: Essay 3 (20 Points)

Essay Question: Discuss the applicant's commitment to pursue a career in primary health care.

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 18 - 20

Good; 12 - 17

Poor; 0 - 11

Required element:

The applicant clearly demonstrates his/her commitment and/or goals to pursue a career in primary health care and serving in underserved populations.

Reactions: 1 user
HERE Y'ALL GO! Good luck 2014 NHSC applicants!

NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE CORPS - SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM (NHSC- SP)

2013-2014 Scholarship Application Review Instructions

Review Open Period: June 10, 2013 – June 21, 2013

The following instructions are provided as a guide for reviewers in the evaluation and scoring the 2013-14 National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program applications. Reviewers must complete an electronic Scoring Sheet for each application prior to finishing the review.

Review Criteria and Maximum Score

Criterion 1: Academic Letter of Recommendation: 15 Points
Criterion 2: Non-Academic Letter of Recommendation: 15 Points
Criterion 3: Resume/Curriculum Vitae: 10 Points
Criterion 4: Essay 1: 20 Points
Criterion 5: Essay 2: 20 Points
Criterion 6: Essay 3: 20 Points

Rating Scale: An "Excellent' rating is given for a response that clearly meets and substantially exceeds the required elements. A ‘Poor' rating is for a response that does not meet the required elements.

Review Criteria & Rating Scale

Criterion 1: Academic Letter of Recommendation (15 Points)

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 13 - 15

Good; 9 - 12

Poor; 0 - 8

Required elements:
A. The recommender provides a strong knowledge of the applicant's academic performance and the length of time the recommender has known the applicant.

B. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's characteristics, interest and motivation to serve populations in areas of greatest need in health professional shortage areas (HPSA).

C. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's work experiences, pertinent course work, special projects, research, or other activities that demonstrate an interest in and commitment to serving underserved populations.

D. The recommender strongly feels or provides examples that the applicant is culturally competent and trained to serve in an underserved community.

E. The recommender's belief in the applicant's ability to work and communicate constructively with other people.

Criterion 2: Non-Academic Letter of Recommendation (15 Points)

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 13 - 15

Good; 9 - 12

Poor; 0 - 8

Required elements:

A. The recommender provides a description of the individual's relationship to the applicant and the length of time the recommender has known the applicant.

B. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's community/civic or other non-academic achievements.

C. The recommender's assessment of the applicant's work experiences and training or other activities that demonstrate an interest, experience, and commitment to serving underserved populations.

D. The recommender strongly feels that the applicant is culturally competent to serve in an underserved community.

E. The Applicant's ability to work and communicate constructively with other people

Criterion 3: Resume/Curriculum Vitae (10 Points)

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 9 - 10

Good; 6 - 8

Poor; 0 - 5

Required element:

Evaluate the applicant's resume/CV to determine (1) If it matches the applicant's

educational, volunteer and work experiences and; (2) if it supports the applicant's

commitment in obtaining training in primary care and serving in underserved communities

as required by NHSC.

Criterion 4: Essay 1 (20 Points)

Essay Question: How will the applicant contribute to the mission of the National Health Service Corps in providing care to underserved communities?

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 18 - 20

Good; 12 - 17

Poor; 0 - 11

Required element:

The applicant clearly describes his/her future professional goals and commitment to pursue a career in primary health care, and his/her personal knowledge of underserved communities, and demonstrates interest /motivation and commitment to working in underserved communities to contribute to the mission of the NHSC.

Criterion 5: Essay 2 (20 Points)

Essay Question: What experiences have the applicant had or activities have the applicant participated in that have prepared the applicant to work with underserved communities?

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 18 - 20

Good; 12 - 17

Poor; 0 - 11

Required element:

The applicant clearly describes his/her experience and activities (for example, community service and/or volunteer work) which have prepared him/her to work with underserved populations/communities.

Criterion 6: Essay 3 (20 Points)

Essay Question: Discuss the applicant's commitment to pursue a career in primary health care.

Rating and Point Scale

Excellent; 18 - 20

Good; 12 - 17

Poor; 0 - 11

Required element:

The applicant clearly demonstrates his/her commitment and/or goals to pursue a career in primary health care and serving in underserved populations.
Is that review instruction public information?

Experian and Equifax are checked by the NHSC. If you were checked on the 3rd I think there is pretty much a 100% chance your credit was checked by the NHSC (I mean, what are the odds that it was someone else?)

Only a few of us have heard from the NHSC... And according to the silence on this board, I would assume that the NHSC has not invited anybody else to be a finalist.

Here is what the nursing forum said:

"I broke down and called today and she said if it says "under review" then there is still a chance of being admitted but it was getting close. She said all scholarship winners will be notified by the 31st."

And...

"I finally called myself. The guy was super nice! He told me that as of now most of the scholarships HAVE NOT been awarded yet and that the majority would be awarded this month. He also told me the main criteria for choosing recipients is financial need and disadvantaged background. He told me that if my status says "under review" then that is a good thing at this point because it means they havent got to my application yet. He said if it was no longer under review then I should be worried."

The nurse scholarship and the NHSC SP have the same deadlines and identical application processes. So, This might be what we see from the NHSC.

Does anyone's application status not say "under review?"

Just a heads up about this, you can always work with the national health service corps later in your career. You can register your private practice as a federally qualified site if you establish it in an area of need. Or, interestingly, if you do any of the armed services scholarship, when you are done you can continue in the national health service corps with your old rank/pay grade.

Just a heads up for anyone who doesn't get the scholarship but is interested in service

Just a heads up about this, you can always work with the national health service corps later in your career. You can register your private practice as a federally qualified site if you establish it in an area of need. Or, interestingly, if you do any of the armed services scholarship, when you are done you can continue in the national health service corps with your old rank/pay grade.

Just a heads up for anyone who doesn't get the scholarship but is interested in service

really? hmmmm

WHATUPP ERRBODY!

SO, the nurses heard about their acceptance on the 18th and then we heard on the 23rd of July.

According to the nurse forum, more people heard this morning! Some more invited in the near future looks really promising. :cool:

:luck: LUCK! :luck:

Thanks, Jaws!

Do any of you know of any other applicants that have gotten rejection letters yet? Are they keeping everyone who applied corralled for safe keeping and not turning anyone away? Just wondering....

Does anyone's application status not say "under review?"

:thumbup: good question... mine still says "under review," but does it say that for everyone?

how many people have one that says "not under review"

i just barely started applying for dental school but it's never too early to think about these sorts of things.

question: looking at the application process i'm guessing 'supporting documentation' are your essays and CV, but are there provisions for anything else? i ask because i did a senior thesis specifically on oral health disparities in the US and figured it might be relevant to a scholarship reviewers interests.

i had another question about where we could view specific NHSC sites but i found it myself. if anyone is interested you can look them up by state, which i must say, is pretty killer: http://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/HGDWReports/OneClickRptFilter.aspx?rptName=NHSCAppSiteList

i just barely started applying for dental school but it's never too early to think about these sorts of things.

question: looking at the application process i'm guessing 'supporting documentation' are your essays and CV, but are there provisions for anything else? i ask because i did a senior thesis specifically on oral health disparities in the US and figured it might be relevant to a scholarship reviewers interests.

i had another question about where we could view specific NHSC sites but i found it myself. if anyone is interested you can look them up by state, which i must say, is pretty killer: http://datawarehouse.hrsa.gov/HGDWReports/OneClickRptFilter.aspx?rptName=NHSCAppSiteList

You will need to upload a proof of citizenship, transcript, and a few other forms. If you are accepted as a finalist, you will need to upload a w-4, an enrollment verification form and your bank routing info.

There is no space elsewhere to upload any other forms. You can however have up to a 5-page CV (mine was 5 pages exactly). There is plenty of space on there to explain those things.

:luck: