NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I'm among those who have received a finalist email but haven't gotten a countersignature as of yet. I must admit I'm getting pretty worried at this point. Last year's finalists received their countersignatures by 8/25 and their official participant emails by 9/2. I'm not sure what's going on or what is causing the delay this year. I was reading a thread from the pa forum that is making me even more nervous. Someone there mentioned, "Being a finalist means that you weren't rejected. It's not a guarantee that you won a scholarship (yet). When you are awarded a scholarship you will be told that you won." Someone else mentioned, "All scholarship recipients receive the "finalist" message. But do all finalists receive the scholarship? I'm not sure you can say that."

I'm not too sure what to make of this but I'm losing patience over here :(

I am worried too:(

Members don't see this ad.

There hasn't been anyone on this board to ever admit to being a finalist and NOT getting the scholarship. You can check back for years. In addition, it appears that last year there were finalists that didn't get countersigned and woke up to a brand new "participant portal". While I am certainly not comfortable with the situation, I wouldn't get too worried just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally know two people who did not get the countersign email until the second week of September last year. So don't worry it will come.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally know two people who did not get the countersign email until the second week of September last year. So don't worry it will come.

Also to add on to this point, keep in mind that were a few different rounds of offers this year. Meaning, there were people who turned down the original offer and their spot went to someone else. Before hand they knew how many offers they had to give for this year; so it would seem kind unproductive to keep awarding finalist status to people who they weren't ultimately going to award.

Hi all, new to posting but longtime follower of the thread. Also a finalist, not countersigned <yet?>. Is the portal completely down for anyone else? For me it won't even load the program portal page- says the site can't be reached.

Also to add on to this point, keep in mind that were a few different rounds of offers this year. Meaning, there were people who turned down the original offer and their spot went to someone else. Before hand they knew how many offers they had to give for this year; so it would seem kind unproductive to keep awarding finalist status to people who they weren't ultimately going to award.
this just made me feel better.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. As the days go by it's getting more difficult to remain patient. I'm sure we'll get our countersignatures in time but this waiting game is brutal!! It's just that I'm literally putting certain decisions on pause while waiting for my official participant status. I would just hate to make a premature decision and find out later that I didn't get the scholarship after all.
What makes it even worse for me is that since I'm an NP student I applied to both scholarships and I was contacted from the NURSE corps that I was also finalist for their scholarship, but chose to decline it for this one. My worry also stems from whether I made the right decision about that. So much going on right now SMH:nailbiting:

Beloved, you can always call the gentleman whose name was listed in the finalist email we got. I talked to him right after the offer and he's a pretty friendly individual. He might be able to give you a little bit of heads up on things. I'd call but I'm busy today with the hurricane [maybe a slight bit nervous as well? haha].

I'm from Florida & lived on the coast my whole life. Hurricanes I'm not nervous about... not getting this scholarship
Hi all, new to posting but longtime follower of the thread. Also a finalist, not countersigned <yet?>. Is the portal completely down for anyone else? For me it won't even load the program portal page- says the site can't be reached.

The site works fine for me, I just checked.

Beloved, you can always call the gentleman whose name was listed in the finalist email we got. I talked to him right after the offer and he's a pretty friendly individual. He might be able to give you a little bit of heads up on things. I'd call but I'm busy today with the hurricane [maybe a slight bit nervous as well? haha].
Thanks! Great suggestion.

I'm from Florida & lived on the coast my whole life. Hurricanes I'm not nervous about... not getting this scholarship

The site works fine for me, I just checked.

Oh I was not referring to the hurricane. lol

Hey guys,

I'm among those who have received a finalist email but haven't gotten a countersignature as of yet. I must admit I'm getting pretty worried at this point. Last year's finalists received their countersignatures by 8/25 and their official participant emails by 9/2. I'm not sure what's going on or what is causing the delay this year. I was reading a thread from the pa forum that is making me even more nervous. Someone there mentioned, "Being a finalist means that you weren't rejected. It's not a guarantee that you won a scholarship (yet). When you are awarded a scholarship you will be told that you won." Someone else mentioned, "All scholarship recipients receive the "finalist" message. But do all finalists receive the scholarship? I'm not sure you can say that."

I'm not too sure what to make of this but I'm losing patience over here :(

It says on our portal that being a finalist doesn't mean you are guaranteed a scholarship. However, most of finalists do receive the scholarship. Haven't read anywhere that a finalist did not get it. The reason for the delay could be because they have done three rounds of finalist emails this year which has not happened previously. Usually it's only one round. This year we have have had three rounds so that's probably why it is taking longer? I received the finalist email in the second round and Lt.M1chelle received it in round three.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cracked and called a little earlier. She repeated the party line of Sept 30th being the deadline to hear back. However, when I pressed them they did say that things that would preclude you from getting the scholarship once you are a finalist are not being at the same school you applied as being a part of etc, so mainly just structural details like that. If there is a problem with our paperwork they would have contacted us. But otherwise she basically just said wait and be patient. Kinda vague. Sorry.

Reactions: 2 users
I cracked and called a little earlier. She repeated the party line of Sept 30th being the deadline to hear back. However, when I pressed them they did say that things that would preclude you from getting the scholarship once you are a finalist are not being at the same school you applied as being a part of etc, so mainly just structural details like that. If there is a problem with our paperwork they would have contacted us. But otherwise she basically just said wait and be patient. Kinda vague. Sorry.

Thanks for the update! Appreciate you calling. I wonder if the school is contacted at all during this time?

Countersigned at 10:30am this morning! No email update or portal change yet though.

Nothing on my end. Congrats to those who got signed this morning!

Are the signs in the pdf signed contract?
Congrats to those who had theirs signed today!

Last edited:
To those who were countersigned, when did you actually "sign" your application and submit it?

To those who countersigned, just curious to know when you signed your original contract and when you had everything submitted by? There was some damn problem with my paper work so I didn't officially "sign" until August 1st, despite receiving that on the 26th [c.]. I'm wondering if they're doing this by when people were officially signed over.

I did my initial sign around 7/30 and then had to resubmit my paperwork, so the second sign was 8/2.

I did my initial sign around 7/30 and then had to resubmit my paperwork, so the second sign was 8/2.

Same here. You MD/DO and how many years of commitment did you do? Congratulations, btw.

I found out I was a finalist on july 27.. and I am still waiting for signature... hopefully tomorrow

Same here.

I am wondering if they do the shorter contracts first? I have yet to speak to anyone who has had a four year contract. Anyone chime in here and correct me?

I am thinking they are doing contracts by rank?

I am thinking it might depend on the officer that sent you the finalist email and have your contract. Maybe?

I am thinking it might depend on the officer that sent you the finalist email and have your contract. Maybe?
It's interesting you mentioned that, because I tried to email mine this afternoon and she is out of the office until 9/8.

How do you know which officer sent you the finalist email? My email was a generic "sign in to complete these tasks ASAP" type email. I don't recall seeing a specific contact.

If I had to guess, I think they may be doing it by application score.
How do you know which officer sent you the finalist email? My email was a generic "sign in to complete these tasks ASAP" type email. I don't recall seeing a specific contact.
It was sent as a follow-up email I received 2 days after the initial finalist email.

If I had to guess, I think they may be doing it by application score.

It was sent as a follow-up email I received 2 days after the initial finalist email.

I honestly don't think score matters, at this point, or I would otherwise be inclined to agree with you. I just can't see them making multiple offers if they didn't have the funding originally.

I honestly don't think score matters, at this point, or I would otherwise be inclined to agree with you. I just can't see them making multiple offers if they didn't have the funding originally.
I certainly hope that is the case.
I spoke with someone from NHSC just now to inquire more about how they would determine who would receive the award!

First of all, they say at this point all the finalists "passed" their screening process or met their selection criteria (Pheewwww)! It was based on transcript, essays, LOR (letter of recommendations), etc and, to my surprise, we were all ranked (so I heard). The next phase in determining who gets the award depends on how much $ that congress allocates to NHSC. If congress funds their requested budget proposal for the scholarship, all of us who complied with their email would get the award.

If not (worst case senario), they would determine how many people would get the scholarship based on the money congress allocates them. Then, they would use the ranked list as described above! My feeling while talking to them is that if a "finalist" does not get the scholarship, don't blame us, blame congress!!

Well, it all makes sense now!!!!! However, I am still confused about 2 things though:

1) What about those who receive the late finalist notification email. Were they originally wait-listed as we have postulated? or were they the original finalists, just like we were, but due to whatever reasons (i.e., computer glitches), they did not receive the notification until about 1 1/2 week later?? Please opine!

2) When do congress approve federal budget? Generally, a federal budget for FY2011 should be approved/begin on Oct, 2010; if approved, the fund should have been processed by Nov 2010. If that's the case, shouldn't NHSC administrators already know how much money they have for this year?

Or do they lump us in their FY2012 budget proposal? That is, based on the number of finalists they have, they would formulate their budget! Then, pass this number to some congressional aides on the appropriations committee to anticipate whether or not they would get the funding come October. If they get a positive review, they could go ahead and award all of us the scholarship. If not, they would cut down on the scholarship recipient based on the number agreed upon.

I think my latter theory makes sense since based on the past NHSC threads, everyone received their award money the first week of November. If that's the case, NHSC would lump us in the in their FY2012 budget. Again, what say you??

I did some digging and found this from a thread in 2011. Keep in mind I have no way of fact checking this info.

Last edited: