NHSC Application 2016 is Officially Open!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just for the sake of keeping stats, I had a 3.9 gpa and disadvantaged status but I didn't get a finalist email. However one of my essays was pretty weak, so I led to believe essays play a big role as well. BTW congrats to all who got it! If any of yourecipients want to message me and advise me a bit on what I could do and what you did I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Just for the sake of keeping stats, I had a 3.9 gpa and disadvantaged status but I didn't get a finalist email. However one of my essays was pretty weak, so I led to believe essays play a big role as well. BTW congrats to all who got it! If any of yourecipients want to message me and advise me a bit on what I could do and what you did I would greatly appreciate it!
Disadvantaged here with similar stats - feel free to fire me a message.

Reactions: 1 users
Life is not fair.
I'm sorry, but I disagree with the idea that someone getting this scholarship when they aren't disadvantaged is kind of silly! My dad has always made good money but that has no effect on me now, nor has it for the past 7 years (since I moved out), nor did it have an affect on my high school education. In essence, being a white upper middle class person has made it harder for me to get scholarships, etc.

Work hard, make good grades, and make your own fairness. Everyone should have an equal shot at school, work, scholarships, etc. Or at least, that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, but I think this is such a stupid comment to that response. The whole "disadvantaged" thing is crap. My dad has always made good money but that has no effect on me now, nor has it for the past 7 years (since I moved out), nor did it have an affect on my high school education.

Work hard, make good grades, and make your own fairness. Don't rely on the "disadvantaged" tag to get you things. Everyone should have an equal shot at school, work, scholarships, etc.

Feel exactly the same way, my man!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm sorry, but I think this is such a stupid comment to that response. The whole "disadvantaged" thing is crap. My dad has always made good money but that has no effect on me now, nor has it for the past 7 years (since I moved out), nor did it have an affect on my high school education.

Work hard, make good grades, and make your own fairness. Don't rely on the "disadvantaged" tag to get you things. Everyone should have an equal shot at school, work, scholarships, etc.

I think the term equal shot is not fair to say everyone has equal opportunities. Just throwing it out there. Everyone is different and everyone has a different story that not everyone knows of. That's great that you opt out of relying on your father, but a lot of people don't. Which goes to say we have the right to say life is unfair towards those situation. I know I worked full time and went to school full time. I know I took a loan out as well. And I'm fully aware of the days I couldn't sleep because I had exams but felt tire during class time because of working late. You pay for tuition just to sleep in class. You sleep in class because you work long hours. It's a vicious cycle. To say everyone is on equal ranking for education is like saying we exist in a utopia. It doesn't exist. But we work hard to overcome it as you say.

And I think there's a nicer way to say you disagree than to call out someone's opinion stupid and their idea crap. Because you really don't know that persons situation to say that.

Reactions: 4 users

Spoken like someone whom has never been disadvantaged.

Reactions: 9 users

No one is relying on the "disadvantaged" tag. NHSC themselves have stated that they give priority to students who are disadvantaged. So if you disagree with the idea than you disagree with NHSC and probably should not be committing yourself to them for 3-4 years! Just because you didn't take money from your dad doesn't mean you are at the same level as those of us who don't even have the option of asking our parents for money in case of emergency. Everyone already has an equal shot at school, work, and most of the scholarship. NHSC is special in that it provides healthcare to the "disadvantaged" population in our society and give s preference to "disadvantaged" students to serve those individuals. They reach out to those people who are underserved and give priority to those students who have been at a "disadvantage" compare to other students. Please look into NHSC before applying.
p.s. I did not apply with a disadvantaged status but am completely fine if they give it to someone who has faced more hardship than me.

Reactions: 5 users
I think the term equal shot is not fair to say everyone has equal opportunities. Just throwing it out there. Everyone is different and everyone has a different story that not everyone knows of. That's great that you opt out of relying on your father, but a lot of people don't. Which goes to say we have the right to say life is unfair towards those situation. I know I worked full time and went to school full time. I know I took a loan out as well. And I'm fully aware of the days I couldn't sleep because I had exams but felt tire during class time because of working late. You pay for tuition just to sleep in class. You sleep in class because you work long hours. It's a vicious cycle. To say everyone is on equal ranking for education is like saying we exist in a utopia. It doesn't exist. But we work hard to overcome it as you say.

And I think there's a nicer way to say you disagree than to call out someone's opinion stupid and their idea crap. Because you really don't know that persons situation to say that.
I definitely agree that I could have said it nicer, and I apologize for being so heated about it. I do stand by what I said (the idea behind it), but we can always agree to disagree.

I definitely agree that I could have said it nicer, and I apologize for being so heated about it. I do stand by what I said (the idea behind it), but we can always agree to disagree.
Hey no worries. I can tell you're a great guy (who is very lucky) ;)

To reluctantly (sarcasm) change the subject lol has anyone applied to the scholarship, didn't get it, and applied again the next year and got it?

Last year I got a credit check and no scholarship, this no credit check, no scholarship

Those of you who received the Finalist email could you please post what school you go to and what priority status you had? It would be really helpful for next year!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum but felt compelled to add to the discussion. I'm a Psych NP student from NY. Currently enrolled in Hunter College. I've already completed a year of my program before applying for the NHSC scholarship. I actually applied to both scholarships (NHSC & NURSE Corps) but only received a finalist email for the NHSC scholarship on July 27 9:00AM EST. I've been following this forum since credit checks began in June (received a credit check from CREDCO on 6/14 for NHSC and one on 7/15 for NURSE Corp). GPA-3.9 Currently work as an RN within a mental health agency that targets disadvantaged populations. I did not apply with disadvantaged status.

Really looking into this and curious how much a strong DAT matters?

I have a 3.75 GPA and a 19 AA, disadvantaged. Have done strong volunteer work.

Do I have a shot with these stats? Or do they look for higher scores?

Thanks guys and congrats to those whose got it this year :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I received a finalist email 9 am wednesday (med student MD) and I would just like to share my story. I am a white male, no disadvantaged statuses. I am from a rural area however with a physician shortage. I think my case shows that the NHSC is looking first for commitment to the underserved and good essays and letters of rec more than disadvantaged status. If you can demonstrate a commitment to working with underserved populations and try to convince your reader that you would work with the underserved in primary care whether you receive this scholarship or not (and I really would!) My letters of rec were from my undergrad sociology teacher and the director of volunteering at my undergrad. My GPA was on the high side, but I really think that's not their top priority. It is looking for people who have demonstrated service! I had over 750 volunteer hours working with migrant populations and underserved populations. Put your money where your mouth is and don't worry about who you are (your disadvantaged status) --> It's rather about what you've done and what you are going to do for the poor of this country!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys, I received a finalist email 9 am wednesday (med student MD) and I would just like to share my story. I am a white male, no disadvantaged statuses. I am from a rural area however with a physician shortage. I think my case shows that the NHSC is looking first for commitment to the underserved and good essays and letters of rec more than disadvantaged status. If you can demonstrate a commitment to working with underserved populations and try to convince your reader that you would work with the underserved in primary care whether you receive this scholarship or not (and I really would!) My letters of rec were from my undergrad sociology teacher and the director of volunteering at my undergrad. My GPA was on the high side, but I really think that's not their top priority. It is looking for people who have demonstrated service! I had over 750 volunteer hours working with migrant populations and underserved populations. Put your money where your mouth is and don't worry about who you are (your disadvantaged status) --> It's rather about what you've done and what you are going to do for the poor of this country!

I couldn't agree more. Here's my theory on how you get awarded a scholarship:
1) The top priority IMO is that you have demonstrated a commitment to working with underserved communities and will likely continue to throughout your career.
2) The likelihood that you will actually complete your program and pass your exam for licensure within the time you indicated on your application (determined based on your past academic performance i.e. GPA etc.)
3) The likelihood that you will follow through with your service commitment after graduation (determined by your past behavior with paying off debt i.e. credit check)
4) Obviously LOR's are also important because it offers validation of your character for being a successful future healthcare provider (my LOR's were from a former supervisor and from one of my undergrad professors)
5) Lastly, that you submitted your application exactly as instructed

Congrats to those who got the scholarship! I did not so I am wondering, isn't there an option to talk to the Nhsc about your application to get constructive criticism for applying next year? I was a pretty well rounded applicant (as most students are) and I'm starting dental school this year so I'm hoping that I can volunteer a lot :)

Before I quit this message board and start focusing on dental school... Like I should be...... shout out to @uklaum for being the best source of info during those months of waiting. You are amazing!

Really looking into this and curious how much a strong DAT matters?

I have a 3.75 GPA and a 19 AA, disadvantaged. Have done strong volunteer work.

Do I have a **** with these stats? Or do they look for higher scores?

Thanks guys and congrats to those whose got it this year :)

I suspect a typo somehow got in there!

How did you guys report your DAT scores to them? On your resume?

Before I quit this message board and start focusing on dental school... Like I should be...... shout out to @uklaum for being the best source of info during those months of waiting. You are amazing!
No problem at all. I've enjoyed it. I'm sorry that not everyone heard the news they were hoping to hear but I will be glad to help in anyway possible for next year. As soon as everything is finalized on my end, I don't mind sharing my entire application as an updated example.

No problem at all. I've enjoyed it. I'm sorry that not everyone heard the news they were hoping to hear but I will be glad to help in anyway possible for next year. As soon as everything is finalized on my end, I don't mind sharing my entire application as an updated example.
Although thats really nice of you, I just want to advise against it because you never know who might plagiarize or even subconsciously copy your writing style and lose their original thought process. Just my 2 cents

Hey friends, sorry for taking so long to reply, but I got the finalist e-mail last week while I was in the middle of midterms! I'm shocked, as I did NOT get my credit checked. Here are some stats that folks might find helpful:

Discipline:
MD (Family Medicine)
Level: Year 2 (Requested 3 years of funding)
EFN Status?: Yes
Disadvantaged Status?: Yes
LORs/CV/Essays: Strong LORs and CV with a lot of community service, leadership, and research experience. Wrote my essays based on grantreview.net criteria.
GPA: 3.0-3.5
MCAT: 25-30
Race/ethnicity: Asian - Vietnamese (not sure this matters but I thought I'd include it)
Date of Credit Check: N/A
Date of Finalist Email: 07/27/2016
Reapplicant?: Yes (2014). FYI, the year I applied the first time, it seemed like the vast majority of those who made it all the way to the end were reapplicants.
Applicant Webinar Participation: Yes (not sure this matters but I thought I'd include it)
Last Initial: D (Pretty certain this doesn't matter but I thought I'd include it)
Other Comments: "Nontraditional" student in the sense that I'm a tad bit older than most of my classmates due to lots of grad school. I emailed the tech people because I had concerns about having a glitch in my app and attached PDF of my application.

Would those who plan to join the program be interested in creating a FB group? If so, PM your email!

Hey friends, sorry for taking so long to reply, but I got the finalist e-mail last week while I was in the middle of midterms! I'm shocked, as I did NOT get my credit checked. Here are some stats that folks might find helpful:

Discipline:
MD (Family Medicine)
LORs/CV/Essays: Strong LORs and CV with a lot of community service, leadership, and research experience. Wrote my essays based on grantreview.net criteria.
Race/ethnicity: Asian - Vietnamese (not sure this matters but I thought I'd include it)
Reapplicant?: Yes (2014). FYI, the year I applied the first time, it seemed like the vast majority of those who made it all the way to the end were reapplicants.
Applicant Webinar Participation: Yes (not sure this matters but I thought I'd include it)
Last Initial: D (Pretty certain this doesn't matter but I thought I'd include it)
Other Comments: "Nontraditional" student in the sense that I'm a tad bit older than most of my classmates due to lots of grad school. I emailed the tech people because I had concerns about having a glitch in my app and attached PDF of my application.
Congratulations!!!

Although thats really nice of you, I just want to advise against it because you never know who might plagiarize or even subconsciously copy your writing style and lose their original thought process. Just my 2 cents
There are already posted examples of recipient essays. It would be impossible to plagiarize much of mine due to how personal mine were. Even then, that would be their problem and not mine. However, if what you're really saying is that you'd rather me not share my essays with the people with whom you will be competing with next year, then I can respect that. I don't mind just sharing my CV. Just figured most would want an updated example of accepted essays.

Discipline:
MD (Family Medicine)

Congrats my friend!

There are already posted examples of recipient essays. It would be impossible to plagiarize much of mine due to how personal mine were. Even then, that would be their problem and not mine. However, if what you're really saying is that you'd rather me not share my essays with the people with whom you will be competing with next year, then I can respect that. I don't mind just sharing my CV. Just figured most would want an updated example of accepted essays.
No I'd actually love to see your application lol.

Hi! I got a finalist email last week (july 27). So does anyone know the percentage of people who get finalist emails and also end up getting the scholarship? (I am a HBCU graduate, biracial- black and East indian, and non disadvantaged. But I was a volunteer at Head Start day care and also travelled to peru to work at hospitals)

Hi! I got a finalist email last week (july 27). So does anyone know the percentage of people who get finalist emails and also end up getting the scholarship? (I am a HBCU graduate, biracial- black and East indian, and non disadvantaged. But I was a volunteer at Head Start day care and also travelled to peru to work at hospitals)

The scholarship is yours if you accept it. The only time the scholarship would not be offered to you is if for one reason or the other the funding is discontinued before the 30th. If you search previous years, there is no instance of this ever occurring. So congratulations!!

The scholarship is yours if you accept it. The only time the scholarship would not be offered to you is if for one reason or the other the funding is discontinued before the 30th. If you search previous years, there is no instance of this ever occurring. So congratulations!!
OH wow! Thank you!

For those who were accepted, I went ahead and created a Facebook group. However, I made it a secret one in case folks didn't want to share their scholarship status with their peers just yet, and also to make it a safer space for scholars to chat privately about their experiences as we move forward with the program. To be added, I think I would need to add you as a friend on FB. If you're interested in joining, send me a PM and I'll send you my name so that you can add me (you know you want to), or you can give me your name and I can add you myself.

For folks who are thinking about reapplying, you definitely should go for it...especially if you applied this cycle as an entering first-year student! I am a reapplicant, and when I applied the first time around, the vast majority of the recipients were either reapplicants or 2nd year students. Anyway, I'd also be happy to share my essays and maybe my CV as long as these documents don't get disseminated to others without my permission.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of us who didn't get it, when do they actually let us know officially?

Congratulations on getting the finalist email. I have a question .. I uploaded the EVF, W4, bank account. then the website took me to a page where I entered my SS, password and security question..
I did NOT sign the contract either by hand or by typing my name on the contract.. Is this normal??

I have "Your National Health Service Corps NHSC Scholarship Program Signed contract" but the pdf is NOT signed by me. The applicant Name and Signature are Blank..
did i do something wrong ??

Scroll to the bottom and you will see your electronic signature

Can those who got the finalist email post what the email said? I got an email that says action required from NHSC. Not sure what it means.

Can those who got the finalist email post what the email said? I got an email that says action required from NHSC. Not sure what it means.

That should be the email. Sounds like it should be the one saying you're a finalist. Mine said:

"You have an application update that requires your response and is time sensitive. Please log into your 2016 National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program application at the following link:"

That should be the email. Sounds like it should be the one saying you're a finalist. Mine said:

"You have an application update that requires your response and is time sensitive. Please log into your 2016 National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program application at the following link:"
+1

That's what I got! A big thanks to whoever declined!!

That's what I got! A big thanks to whoever declined!!
Congratulations!!

Let's hope it was someone who declined and not someone who missed the deadline to respond lol

Oh, doh! So it sounds like a second round of acceptances went out then? I had been holding on to hope for that round. I guess now it's looking less and less likely to get in this year if we haven't heard yet. Anybody else think the same or still have hope?

Oh, doh! So it sounds like a second round of acceptances went out then? I had been holding on to hope for that round. I guess now it's looking less and less likely to get in this year if we haven't heard yet. Anybody else think the same or still have hope?

I just feel blessed I have to reapply to an optional scholarship and not dental school :rolleyes:

I look at it like school applications. Your best shot is to get accepted after your interview. When you're waitlisted, you really need the cards to line up in your favor for a spot to open up and if one thing goes awry, you don't get in. You're waiting for people to turn down the admissions seat (or in this case, the scholarship) and after a certain date, it's not likely to happen.

Since the finalists had until a week ago, I think, to accept or decline, it's very unlikely anyone will get a scholarship now. Of course it DOES happen. I'm sure someone is already hitting reply with a story about their roommate's best friend's cousin who heard on Sept. 29. I'm just saying it's not likely. The numbers aren't on our side for this scholarship cycle and the countersignatures will come soon, locking in the scholarship recipients into the contract.

Does anyone know when the countersignatures come? is it like a month from when you get notified?

Last year it was August 25.