NHSC APPLICATION 2014/2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all,

For those who are MD/DO applicants, is there anyone here who is currently an MS1? In other words, you applied before starting school/you requested 4 years of funding?

Thanks! :)

I did. Was countersigned last week.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
M2 here.. so we're positive that once your countersigned you're getting the scholarship? Countersigned on 8/21 :D When does the money actually go into your account any idea?

M2 here.. so we're positive that once your countersigned you're getting the scholarship? Countersigned on 8/21 :D When does the money actually go into your account any idea?

I have a friend that received it last year. She received her money in the end of October.

Hey all,

For those who are MD/DO applicants, is there anyone here who is currently an MS1? In other words, you applied before starting school/you requested 4 years of funding?

Thanks! :)
I did, but no credit check/no scholarship... yet?...

I did. Was countersigned last week.

Congratulations! (And same to all who recently had their contracts countersigned)

It looks like few medical students seeking four years of funding have been successful in making it far during application this cycle, except for a handful of extremely strong applicants. While disappointing, I am hoping that maybe the program is structured to be really competitive for those going for the four-year scholarship and that we have reason to be optimistic of our chances should we re-apply.

But until that last-word September 30 deadline, however, best of luck to all the other Dental and MD/DO students waiting to hear back!

Congratulations! (And same to all who recently had their contracts countersigned)

It looks like few medical students seeking four years of funding have been successful in making it far during application this cycle, except for a handful of extremely strong applicants. While disappointing, I am hoping that maybe the program is structured to be really competitive for those going for the four-year scholarship and that we have reason to be optimistic of our chances should we re-apply.

But until that last-word September 30 deadline, however, best of luck to all the other Dental and MD/DO students waiting to hear back!

I'm not sure if this is accurate as we don't have much of a sample size here. I was countersigned and I'm not a first year student, but I would imagine that first year students have an advantage. The goal of NHSC is to have people stay with the underserved sites for as long as possible, so they prefer people making a 4 year commitment vs. a 2 year commitment. I do remember hearing that NHSC gives a slight preference to reapplicants because they can tell you really want it though, so when you reapply make sure you use the same email instead of creating a new account. I suggest getting more volunteer hours and get your volunteer coordinator to write a stellar letter of recommendation. Make it clear in your essays that you are willing to go anywhere. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone think we'll get the "Congrats" email tomorrow? Hoping for sometime this week!

Reactions: 2 users
This wait has been terrible....

I agree wholeheartedly. This forum has been great though! I check it before I check my email because I know you all will let me know if anything happens first! I spoke with an NHSC rep a couple weeks ago who said those who received the finalist email will receive follow up notification in 2 to 5 weeks. This is week 5 for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there will be anymore finalist emails sent out???? Have all the finalists already been notified? I got the impression that they have all been handed out and they are just doing counter signatures at this point. I was told this by an NHSC rep over the phone but as she seemed to not know too much info, I am praying she is wrong, any ideas???

Does anyone know if there will be anymore finalist emails sent out???? Have all the finalists already been notified? I got the impression that they have all been handed out and they are just doing counter signatures at this point. I was told this by an NHSC rep over the phone but as she seemed to not know too much info, I am praying she is wrong, any ideas???

My understanding is you'd probably know by now if you were going to get the scholarship. People are already signing/countersigning. If somebody rejects the scholarship, that would open up a space. But I would think most people who are offered will accept.

Still no change on my portal page yet... Anyone else?

My understanding is you'd probably know by now if you were going to get the scholarship. People are already signing/countersigning. If somebody rejects the scholarship, that would open up a space. But I would think most people who are offered will accept.
That's what I thought!

Actually, last year they continued to send out finalist emails longer than they were planning because there were a lot of people turning them down. They started calling people to make sure they were going to accept the day after they sent them a finalist email. I honestly don't think it's over until the Sept 30th deadline... Or at least not until closer to it. There is still a whole month left.

Reactions: 1 users
Actually, last year they continued to send out finalist emails longer than they were planning because there were a lot of people turning them down. They started calling people to make sure they were going to accept the day after they sent them a finalist email. I honestly don't think it's over until the Sept 30th deadline... Or at least not until closer to it. There is still a whole month left.

I hope you're right!

Everybody check your portals! Mine changed to a welcome screen!!!

Just checked. It changed to welcome screen. For those of you who have joined the NHSC fraternal alliance, we need to just turn in the school instructions to our school then?

Anyone have an issue where they got the congrats email (was countersigned last week) and then the status said "not chosen for an award"? Or was that just me and my luck with technical issues?

Anyone have an issue where they got the congrats email (was countersigned last week) and then the status said "not chosen for an award"? Or was that just me and my luck with technical issues?

This happened to me too...must be a mistake.

It's official! Got the acceptance email and a link to the participant portal today around 8am!

happened to me too.. i just called and left a message for someone about it

That's what's happening to me now. Got 2 congrats emails but my portal says not chosen for award. I really hope it's a technical error..otherwise this is a nightmare. I called NHSC and the lady I spoke to said she's figuring out what the issue is. I had to forward her the emails I got.

has this ever happened in earlier years? i really hope its just a technical error

That's what's happening to me now. Got 2 congrats emails but my portal says not chosen for award. I really hope it's a technical error..otherwise this is a nightmare. I called NHSC and the lady I spoke to said she's figuring out what the issue is. I had to forward her the emails I got.
Did you call the nhsc or the hrsa number?

i'm on the phone with them now and I've had to submit my congratulation emails and a copy of my signed contract - they said if you have a copy of your signed contract its probably a technical error

I just spoke with a representative as well. She said that this is happening with many people and they hope to have it resolved by the end of the week. :(

I just spoke with a representative as well. She said that this is happening with many people and they hope to have it resolved by the end of the week. :(
Is it simply technical?

Is it simply technical?

I'm relatively sure it's technical for a few reasons:
  • The representative I talked to said it was a "known issue" that applied to many counter-signed applicants.
  • Last year, across all the fora (medical, dental, etc.) no one that was a finalist, signed, and countersigned received a last-minute rejection. At least 5 people on this forum that had already been countersigned reported this issue in the past hour.
  • Everyone that this has happened to received the "Congratulations" letter, which would imply that the intention was for them to receive the award.
The representative I spoke to wouldn't confirm, though. Probably making sure they don't get that one caller who is trying to pull one over on them...

Exact same problem here. Finalist. Countersigned. Congratulations email. Then login and they say not awarded. Hope they can work it out! Knew I should have printed out the signed contract before it disappeared... :(

Got 2 congrats letter then a rejection letter/ portal said not awarded
Called and lady I spoke with said that the portal won't be updated until at least 24 hours, but if you received a congrats email then you got the award.

Hope these are the facts. My emotions are rattled!

Received rejection e-mail this morning.

Submitted on 05/15. No credit check.
MD applicant
Current MS1 (requested funding for 4 years)

Edit: Just scrolled back and saw the earlier posts about the technical glitches. (Sorry, I'm on my phone!) Hoping that the technical glitch was for all applicants! But I'm guessing that the rejection e-mail was intended for everyone except those who received and accepted the award.

i just got a rejection email too even though i got the congratulatory email this morning

Got 2 congrats letter then a rejection letter/ portal said not awarded
Called and lady I spoke with said that the portal won't be updated until at least 24 hours, but if you received a congrats email then you got the award.

Hope these are the facts. My emotions are rattled!

Same thing happened to me. what is going on?...I hope they can fix this soon :(

Got another email...

Good morning scholars!

We just realized that there is a system glitch from our side that may be delaying the conversion of you scholars into a participant status to access our customer portal. We will fix this issue ASAP and you will be then able to login to the customer service portal to see all the documents. Since you received a ‘Congratulation’ email from us this morning, you are confirmed to receive an SP Award. Congratulations again!

Sorry for the confusion that has caused.

Sincerely,

National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program

Just received that email too..wow..what a roller coaster of emotions this morning

What a whacky morning! So glad that's cleared up....

I didn't get a rejection email...i happened to look in my portal and saw that I was rejected...hopefully next year!!

for the accepted applicants...are u all still filing the fafsa this year...?

I still feel like I can't celebrate until my portal says i'm a participant lol!
I feel the same way. My portal still says, "Not accepted for award," and I got the rejection email, but I also got the two congratulations emails before that one and the email that explained the portal was down and said anyone who received the congratulations email did get the award. I called the NHSC toll free number and they told me to disregard all of my emails. I also got another email from my Program Support Officer later this morning saying congrats on receiving the scholarship, so I called him and he said I did get it. The portal still won't let me log on and still says, "not accepted," though. Has anyone else heard from their Program Support Officer? I don't know what to think at this point.