Technology Nexus One (aka the Google phone)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Nexus One? I think it will quickly spur developers to port medical apps to the Android operating system pretty quickly overall. Engadget has a review up, and it's mostly complementary. Probably more importantly, the hype around it is huge, and it's coming to Verizon before too long.

What I'd really like is an Android, iPod Touch-like device where you don't have to drop the coin for the data plan, etc. An Android PDA in other words. Of course, I suppose I could get an iPod Touch...

Members don't see this ad.

Many analysts and reviewers are like "meh." Why are you so sure that *this* device will get apps ported over, like some kind of non-iPhone savior for the rest of the smartphone world?

Like I've said before the problem with the android platform is that all the devices have different screen sizes, different input methods (keypad, touch screen, etc) and different capabilities. This makes it different for companies to develop for the platform when they have to change the code for each individual device they want to support. For the iPhone platform it's easy write it once and you are done.

It's not just about device specs its about what apps can be put onto it

Members don't see this ad :)
Like I've said before the problem with the android platform is that all the devices have different screen sizes, different input methods (keypad, touch screen, etc) and different capabilities. This makes it different for companies to develop for the platform when they have to change the code for each individual device they want to support.

Yep...that's a problem. The Nexus One doesn't support multi-touch, even though the Android OS does. Dumb.

i don't understand why people spend so much money on a phone.

some people are broke, yet have to be the first ones to buy the newest toys.

Many analysts and reviewers are like "meh." Why are you so sure that *this* device will get apps ported over, like some kind of non-iPhone savior for the rest of the smartphone world?

I disagree that most reviewers were "meh." The reviews I've seen say it's a good phone with some improvements over previous Android phones. People are also mentioning the interesting idea that Google is trying to get you to choose your phone first, then independently choose your service provider. That's a new paradigm compared to find a phone you'd like, then having no choice about the provider (seeing as many phones are locked-in with only one service provider).

In essence, I really don't think this phone will be so amazing as to convince hundreds of developers to flood onto Android OS. But I do think that with the hype and momentum that Android OS has in general, major services will realize there's a market for their product on the OS.

Finally, the savior talk is a bit much. But competition is always good in consumer electronics, and everyone stands to gain by the iPhone having some legitimate competition. Apple will have to push the envelope further to stay ahead, so perhaps we'll see higher resolution iPhones out this year, or faster iPhones, or the iPhone on Verizon, or something else I'm not even thinking of.

Like I've said before the problem with the android platform is that all the devices have different screen sizes, different input methods (keypad, touch screen, etc) and different capabilities. This makes it different for companies to develop for the platform when they have to change the code for each individual device they want to support. For the iPhone platform it's easy write it once and you are done.

It's not just about device specs its about what apps can be put onto it

That's a really good point, and one that I hadn't really thought of. I guess all things being equal, Android is a harder platform to develop. I wonder how much that will deter major developers.

Last edited:
I disagree that most reviewers were "meh."

I said "analysts and reviewers." Perhaps I should have just said "analysts," which continue to be "meh" since this isn't slated to increase Google's revenues by much if any. They're also unimpressed by lack of truly innovative features. Obviously it will do a great job of integrating Google into your life, which is cool, but I'm not convinced this will lead the non-iPhoners' fight in the "We want apps too!" battle.

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2010/01/06/google-nexus-one-analyst-react/

Reading a review about the nexus one, I found this interesting

The Nexus can accommodate memory cards up to 32 gigabytes (a 4-gigabyte card comes with it) — and yet, inexplicably, the Nexus allots only a tiny 190 megabytes of storage for downloaded apps. […]

There's no physical ringer on-off switch (you have to do it on the screen), and therefore no way to tell by touch if the ringer is off, as you can on the iPhone and Palm phones.

The Nexus can accommodate memory cards up to 32 gigabytes (a 4-gigabyte card comes with it) — and yet, inexplicably, the Nexus allots only a tiny 190 megabytes of storage for downloaded apps.

That's just nuts.

Do other Android phones have similar limitations?

Not sure, don't really care about the platform but for really big games and even huge programs such as epocrates you'll run out of storage for these applications really quick

http://mashable.com/2010/01/05/nexus-one-vs-droid-vs-iphone/

Nexus One dominates the iPhone when it comes to battery life...

Apple has the applications advantage though - 5 times more apps than Android. I would definitely choose a Nexus One over an iPhone if only it had the same apps necessary for med students/residents/doctors that the iPhone has.

Members don't see this ad :)
The apps that are mostly text-based like reference apps that appeal to a broad base of physicians will probably start appearing on Android soon because they are relatively easy to port over. The more specialized clinical calculators, say, MedCalc that are developed by hobbyist developers may not. Most of us only use and develop for one smartphone platform so even of 1 in 10 medical developers are using Android devices then only 10% of the software out there will be written for Android.

In order to cross platforms, one has to have a pretty compelling business proposition. Most recently, it was the slow demise of Palm OS and the rapid rise of the iPhone OS that compelled medical developers to switch platforms. iPhone OS isn't going anywhere so each developer has to decide whether his/her time is best spent developing something for the Android market or something new to the still-growing iPhone market.

Last edited:
I said "analysts and reviewers." Perhaps I should have just said "analysts," which continue to be "meh" since this isn't slated to increase Google's revenues by much if any. They're also unimpressed by lack of truly innovative features. Obviously it will do a great job of integrating Google into your life, which is cool, but I'm not convinced this will lead the non-iPhoners' fight in the "We want apps too!" battle.

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2010/01/06/google-nexus-one-analyst-react/

Two separate points here, IMHO.

1) I totally agree that this will make almost no blip whatsoever on Googles revenue sheets. Won't even be on the radar.

2) In terms of leading a non-iPhone fight, I agree as well. With some of the keen observations on this post, I agree that the Nexus One won't be a solid "app" phone. The 190MB limitation is inexcusable. To me, this indicates that Google doesn't even care about this phone being used for apps.

However, I still think momentum is shifting toward wider Android acceptance. AT&T announced 5 Android phones coming to their network this year. Android will continue to get bigger as time goes on.

Found this on the interwebs... makes of it what you will

2wdpkih.jpg

Even if you could only install 190MB worth?

How large are the common applications? How many applications can 190 MB hold? At least 10-15, right? I don't really see why I'd need more than 190 MB...

How large are the common applications? How many applications can 190 MB hold? At least 10-15, right? I don't really see why I'd need more than 190 MB...

You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much RAM. ;)

That is a big limitation.

Just the iSilo app on my iPhone uses over 400mb for the 20+ medical ebooks I have on it (google medical ebooks to find some). IRadiology (a fantastic free app for the iPhone) literally has hundreds of images and is over 100mb.

I have a 32 GB ipodtouch and have 3 home screens worth of apps (16 x 3) and have been flirting with having 4 home screens but keep deleting them. I have plenty of medical apps but also lots of fun things that keep me sane. When I sync up to iTunes I can see plainly how much space I have allocated to music, pics, apps, etec and how much is left. I really think iPod touch or iPhone are the way to go, but I must admit looking at videos of the Android phones look pretty fun to use, but I'm sure its just going to push Apple to be creative with the next iteration of the iPhone OS software updates and new devices.

I have a 32 GB ipodtouch and have 3 home screens worth of apps (16 x 3) and have been flirting with having 4 home screens but keep deleting them. I have plenty of medical apps but also lots of fun things that keep me sane. When I sync up to iTunes I can see plainly how much space I have allocated to music, pics, apps, etec and how much is left. I really think iPod touch or iPhone are the way to go, but I must admit looking at videos of the Android phones look pretty fun to use, but I'm sure its just going to push Apple to be creative with the next iteration of the iPhone OS software updates and new devices.

I don't think anyone can ever beat iPhones user friendly platform and touch screen technology. I just love how everyone is trying to make a phone that will beat the iPhone. Probably not going to happen.

dw9x6c.png

I personally need 649.1+ :shrug:

I agree with Blue Dog.

That's kinda like if everyone was given $200,000 a year and wasn't allowed any more. Poor people would be like, "Why would you need any more?" Outrageously rich people would have to give up everything they're used to.

"Why are you limiting my app space??!!" is the proper question. Not, "Why do people need so much app space?"

People are also mentioning the interesting idea that Google is trying to get you to choose your phone first, then independently choose your service provider. That's a new paradigm compared to find a phone you'd like, then having no choice about the provider (seeing as many phones are locked-in with only one service provider).

That may not be such a great idea after all:

Google faces deluge of Nexus One complaints
http://www.macworld.com/article/145590/2010/01/nexusone_complaints.html?lsrc=rss_main

They may even get sued over the name:

http://wccftech.com/2010/01/08/google-sued-nexus/http://wccftech.com/2010/01/08/google-sued-nexus/

That lawsuit is total BS. The estate is trying to capitalize off of google. Even if google was inspired by the book/movie, it's a far stretch to think that people would get the two confused

They may not confuse a cell phone with a fictional replicant, but I've gotta be honest...as soon as I heard the name "Nexus One," I thought of Blade Runner.

Apparently, I'm not the only one.

They may not confuse a cell phone with a fictional replicant, but I've gotta be honest...as soon as I heard the name "Nexus One," I thought of Blade Runner.

Apparently, I'm not the only one.
Touche... but those who are younger and have never seen blade runner it wouldn't mean a thing

However file this is the what people don't realize yet. All the different android phones out there are all running different versions of the OS which means that apps designed for 1.6 don't run on 1.5 and apps designed for 2.1 won't run on 1.6 or 1.5. Makes it hard to know what OS to write for.

Touche... but those who are younger and have never seen blade runner it wouldn't mean a thing

Blade Runner is a classic!

Youth is wasted on the young. How old do you think I am, anyway? Geez... ;)

However file this is the what people don't realize yet. All the different android phones out there are all running different versions of the OS which means that apps designed for 1.6 don't run on 1.5 and apps designed for 2.1 won't run on 1.6 or 1.5. Makes it hard to know what OS to write for.

Yep. Apparently, Google didn't learn anything from Microsoft.

Another thing about the Nexus One

John Gruber
Boy Genius:
Other issues that I can’t live with day to day? How do I copy text from non-editable field like an email, webpage, or SMS, or even a 3rd party application? Oh, I can’t. Say what you want about the iPhone not having copy and paste for two years — a joke — it’s the single best implementation on the planet for a smartphone and Google’s approach is almost as bad as RIM’s with the Storm-series.

It’s not just the iPhone’s interface for copy-and-paste; it’s also the interface for selecting text and pictures before you can copy them. I’d say it’s one of the nicest and most thoughtful UI designs I have ever seen.

Google's Android OS is still in its infancy from the perspective of a health care professional user. However, I'm sure that by the end of 2010, we'll see many more medical apps for Android. I anticipate that by 2011-2012, it will rival the iPhone.

How old are you? Let's just say dirt is but a mere babe by comparison. :smuggrin:

I'm 44. The first computer I ever used was a DECwriter terminal (attached to a PDP-11/70, if memory serves), and the first programming course I took required punch cards.

And I had to walk to school, too...uphill - both ways. :smuggrin:

zoom_s_p_15910_1.jpg.ashx

Wow, even before the advent of the microcomputer...

I'm 44. The first computer I ever used was a DECwriter terminal (attached to a PDP-11/70, if memory serves), and the first programming course I took required punch cards.

I'm 43. This was my first computer. This was before hard drives so you had to load the operating system via a cassette player or a 5 1/4 inch floppy every time you turned on the computer. I also saw Star Wars in the movie theater that year. When I graduated from college, I was still using this kind of computer.

trs80-i.jpg

Specifications:
NAME TRS 80 MODEL I
MANUFACTURER Tandy Radio Shack
TYPE Home Computer
ORIGIN U.S.A.
YEAR 1977
BUILT IN LANGUAGE Basic Level 1 (4k ROM models)
Basic Level II (12k ROM models)
KEYBOARD Full-stroke keyboard, 53 Keys, optional numeric keypad
CPU Zilog Z80
SPEED 1.77 MHz
RAM 4 kb / 16 kb depending on models (up to 48 kb)
VRAM 1 kb
ROM 4 kb (Basic Level 1) or 12kb (Basic Level 2)
TEXT MODES 32 x 16, 64 x 16
GRAPHIC MODES 128 x 48
COLORS monochrome
SOUND None
I/O PORTS Monitor, cassette interface, expansion port
OS TRS DOS - NEW DOS

Wow you're old

Oh, it gets better. This is what my first cell phone looked like (in 1987). The handset was usually kept in the car, but you could detach it and use this battery pack instead if you wanted to be more mobile. It weighed a ton.

motorola-4500x-gallery-2.jpg

Later on, I upgraded to this (the "brick.") Gordon Gekko had one of these in "Wall Street." That was good enough for me.

First_mobile_phone1.jpg

You don't even want to know what they cost. Plus, you had to pay for every minute of airtime.

I think that's why I have so many technology issues. I was traumatized by the whole "punch card" experience. I think I have PTSD when it comes to anything related to computers. Yeah...that must be it! It's not my fault after all. ;)

Oh, it gets better. This is what my first cell phone looked like (in 1987). The handset was usually kept in the car, but you could detach it and use this battery pack instead if you wanted to be more mobile. It weighed a ton.

motorola-4500x-gallery-2.jpg

Later on, I upgraded to this (the "brick.") Gordon Gekko had one of these in "Wall Street." That was good enough for me.

First_mobile_phone1.jpg

You don't even want to know what they cost. Plus, you had to pay for every minute of airtime.

[youtube]dlQUgsPt-6Y[/youtube]

You still have that phone, don't you? ;)