Next steps...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roflolhahaha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be fine

You will get some love from DO schools. As above poster mentioned, grade trend is key here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest:

Rosy Franklin
The Philly Triplets
GWU
Gtown
U Miami
BU
NYMC
Albany
Netter
Creighton
SLU
MCW
Wake
Tulane
VCU
EVMS
UCD
UCI
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire
Any DO school, starting with Touro-CA and Western

CA resident ORM
  • BA Bio top 30 school. class of 2015
  • 3.43cGPA, 3.33 sGPA(w/ 26 units of 4.0 informal postbac work), 513 MCAT
  • 150 hrs basic sciences research - no pubs
  • currently doing two clinical research experiences. abstracts/posters likely down the line but not before this cycle.
  • 100 hrs hospice
  • 300 hrs ER/anesthesiology
  • 50 hrs journaling/art project w/ nursing home patients to encourage self expression
  • co founder of newsletter about current topics in health (ACA/AHCA, vaccines), leading team of writers and designers
  • shadowing- lots of specialties, 100+ hrs
  • nonclinical - 50 hrs YMCA coaching kids, 50 hrs soup kitchen where I started a program raising awareness about nutrition using information from a class I've taken
  • two summers spent tutoring HS students
My story is going to be familiar to many. I was unfocused/unmotivated in undergrad, found my way in the two post bac years. Virtually all the ECs have come during my 2 gap years in addition to the class work. These two years working in and around medicine was almost necessary for me and it has empowered me and matured me greatly.

At this point, I'm looking to apply to about 30 MD, virtually all low tiers and some state schools since I don't really care where I go. I will also be applying to probably a dozen DO schools. I've been having second thoughts about doing it this cycle due to concerns over lack of research as well as my mediocre GPA. My non clinical volunteering also isn't too great although I am working on that. My question is should I apply this cycle? Also what should I do in the gap year? I'm looking at picking up scribing, working in a free clinic, as well as continuing research. I can do more classes in the fall/spring of next year although even with a full schedule it will only raise my GPA up slightly (3.47/3.4) b/c I've taken so many units already. I was thinking an SMP but the cost is nuts and I don't want to do it if I don't have to. I'm also thinking about helping out with immigrants and LGBT youths b/c I have an interest in politics and with the recent Nov election many people need an advocate for them b/c they're not represented enough and not getting the help they need.

Sorry for the long read, I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this. At this point, SDN and fellow MSs have been better resources for me than my pre med/pre health advisors who have given me pretty bad advice (apply Caribbean!).