Newly admitted DO student. Advice regarding matching at academic programs as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblymed23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! I am so excited to be starting medical school this fall! I was wondering if any 4th year DO students/ current residents/ could give some tips on how I can match at my preferred location. I sometimes worry that I will not be able to match into my preferred residency program ( a well regarded academic program, primary care most likely) just because I will be a DO… ( please no hate here. Looking for support :))

Members don't see this ad.

Only thing I can add to @Goro's post would be to study very hard and do well in classes from day 1. The reason I say this is students who don't well in their classes don't normally just magically ace step 1 and 2 (which I guess step 1 won't matter since it's P/F but w/e you get the idea hopefully).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is also is a good plan to play the match game well. I agree with my learned friends above. The match changes almost daily. Step 1 P/F, Emphasis now on Step 2, some programs hot, like anesth this year, some getting cold like ER and rads. Our local uni MD school.matched only 1 student in rads in a class of over 100. So stay informed. Agree with networking, and target programs where you are competitive. Our local uni IM program has never taken a DO and no plans in the future. So avoid places like that. Look for programs with DOs on faculty and in the residency class. You can do it. I did. You need to look at it like getting elected. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all for your advice! As for networking, could you please explain how that works/ who are the best people to network with? Can that only be established during my clinical rotations or are there other ways to do that? @Angus Avagadro , how many accepted DO residents in a program are a good indicator of it being DO friendly?

Thank you all for your advice! As for networking, could you please explain how that works/ who are the best people to network with? Can that only be established during my clinical rotations or are there other ways to do that? @Angus Avagadro , how many accepted DO residents in a program are a good indicator of it being DO friendly?
Any DOs will indicate a willingness to consider.. As far as networking, try to start with a mentor at your school for research, studying, board prep, etc. Networking can begin the summer between first and 2nd yr, with a research project or helping in a lab. Contact the program you are interested in and see if they need an unpaid research assistant of some kind. Try to set up electives or auditions at the program you are targeting.Go there and shine. PDs like to pick a known entity rather than an unknown, all things equal. Matching like I said above is like getting elected.

Reactions: 1 user