Newfound appreciation of surgery rounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Billiam95

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick, 45 second SOAP presentation outside the door. 3 P's - pooping, peeing, and pain? Labs & vitals? A and P.
In the room: "how you doing today, Mr. xx? How's your pain? Pooping and peeing ok? Here's the plan for today, and we'll take that dressing off later this morning. We'll be by this afternoon to check in on you!"
All patients seen within 45 minutes to an hour, just in time to get breakfast when the cafeteria first opens.

Currently on a non-surgical rotation where most of our patients are on a single long hallway. 2 hours into rounding today, I could still see the first patient's door, less than a football's throw away. Didn't know just how good I had it...

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Different strokes. I actually enjoyed the ins and outs of discussing patients and working out their issues. Granted it isn't like that all the time and a lot is discussion of dispo/social work and what not. I didn't mind it though (I'm not in IM, but I had to do an intern year).

Short surgery rounds are also pretty sweet though. But that just meant I was getting to the OR quicker to retract ad nauseum or get yelled at by some scrub nurse with a chip on their shoulder. :lol:

Reactions: 2 users
Different strokes. I actually enjoyed the ins and outs of discussing patients and working out their issues. Granted it isn't like that all the time and a lot is discussion of dispo/social work and what not. I didn't mind it though (I'm not in IM, but I had to do an intern year).

Short surgery rounds are also pretty sweet though. But that just meant I was getting to the OR quicker to retract ad nauseum or get yelled at by some scrub nurse with a chip on their shoulder. :lol:
I loved when surgery rounds went longer and I got to miss a morning case.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would have rather rounded for 12 hours than go to a single two-hour OR case and then go home at noon. Always found IM rounds to be fun and intellectually satisfying.

Reactions: 1 users
On surgery right now. Rounds take like 15 minutes but they also happen at 6:30 AM which means my butt needs to be in the hospital by 4:30-6:00 to do pre rounds. I woke up at 3:45 the other day cause I had like 4 patients to pre round on. The most frustrating thing is that labs are not even ready so early. Both my IM rotations only had me following 1-2 patients at a time and I could just copy and paste my note so it was much easier. With surgery it’s not that simple because things actually happen overnight (blood loss, significant lab changes, drains come out or get infected) whereas with patients only needing IM services are more or less the same every day.