Newbie'isms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oudoc08

Please pass the gas...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gotta love newbies.

Top ten ways to spot a newbie.

10. EMS pants look like they just came from the dry cleaners, pressed and starched.

9. EMS shirt has every badge, pin, and patch allowed.

8.Belt has more crap on it than a cop's.

7.First one in the ambulance.

6.First one out of the ambulance.

5.Turns the lights and siren on before putting the truck in Drive.

4.Looks like the Stay-Puff marshmallow man due to every available pocket crammed with crap. (i.e. kling, 4x4's, tape, iv stuff, etc.

3.Drives the truck w/ the lightbar, EMT stickers, EMT license plate and the big trauma bag in the back seat.

2.Runs into the house on every call.

and the number one way to spot a rookie is
1. Pants contain enough forceps & scissors to stock a damn OR.

Members don't see this ad.

like they say: The more equipment then newer they are.

HA HA... talking about newbies.. at my service we have an EMT nicknamed Frenchie... (This is not because he is French.) When he was a newbie, he responded to his first cardiac arrest. As the senior medics were setting up the ALS toys, they instructed Frenchie to ventilate the patient. Being new, he proceeded to do mouth-to-mouth without a barrier device -- french-kissing the patient.

Needless to say, the nickname stuck. :)

Met a crew a few weeks ago that brought in a GSW to the chest - traumatic arrest en route. The guy was shot by the PD during a domestic so the scene must have been pretty tense. They came from a town with not much violent crime and this was the first call ever for the EMT-student observer. She had done a great job and was really pumped she had been able to keep from freaking out. I'm sure it all hit her later, but at least that kind of call as a newbie gives you the confidence that "yes, I will be able to handle the job".:thumbup: