This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenFred

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to the forum as well as the dental industry. I have a few questions I need clarification on.

First, what is the difference between the D.M.D. and D.D.S. degrees? Is it comparable with a BA or BS in undergrad? If so, if you want to specialize in a particular practice would you have to consider which degree you need to get?

Secondly, I graduated in 2000 with a 3.3 GPA in finance. I obviously did not take too many science classes because of my major, which I am now regreting. That being said, if I were to take some science courses at a CC would I be considered as a candidate? Would my major in UG hurt me in getting into dental school?

Finally, I will be in my 30's when I graduate from dnetal school if I choose to go. Is this extremely uncommon? Also, would I have a difficult time finding employment after grauduation becasue of my age?

Any insight would be appreciated. I know I want to change careers; however, I just want to make sure I make an eduated decision.

Thanks,
KenFred

Members don't see this ad.

Welcom to the forum, you have chosen to prusue a great career. If you are serious about becoming a dentist you must go back to college to take your science classes. Most if not all dental schools will not allow you to take your science prereqs at a CC.

I don't think your undergraduate major will hurt you at all. By going back to school the adcoms will see your desire to pursue this career. And being 30 by the time you graduate is not uncommon at all. Search this forum and you will find many people who are just starting dental school at the age of 30 and are not regretting it and enjoying every minute of it. Good luck to you!

Ken,

In regards to the two degrees that are offered, there is NO difference. Some schools offer the DDS, while others offer the DMD.

Here at Arizona, the faculty committed to offering the DDS degree, but now there is a movement among the students to have us vote on which degree we want, since it seems there are some that want the DMD. Hopefully that little story will give you an idea of how interchangable the degrees are!

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate both your opinions and statements.

Two more questions:

Is MUSC of South Carolina a difficult school in be accepted to?

What schools are considered to be easier to get in. I know all dental schools are competitive, but some are not as much as others.

Thanks Again,

Ken

Ken the easiest dental school to get into is your state supported school if you have one. It is also generally a lesser financial burden.

My class' average age starting was 25. That means most of us were about in our 30's when we could practice. The range was from 21 to 44.

If I were to hire an associate and had two equal applicants age 25 and 35 I would choose the elder. He/she would be more likely to have work experience, be more mature & dependable, and be more accepted by patients.

JMHO
Rob

From what I know of MUSC:

~50-55 students taken per year
~5-7 non-residents of SC taken per year. (read: Need high GPA and high DAT)

Great clinical experience. Facilities are a little old, but new building should be opening within the next decade. Not a better place for a dental school to be than Charleston.

Schools I'd look at other than your state school:

Louisville
University of Pacific
Marquette
Nova

Originally posted by dr_benj
Most if not all dental schools will not allow you to take your science prereqs at a CC. [/B]

Schools may prefer to see science courses from a university, but if you do well on your DAT, it doesn't really matter. I know a lot of dental students who took science classes from community colleges. In your case, as a non-traditional student, the admissions people will totally understand if you meet the science prerequisites this way. And no, 30s isn't unusual. Heck, even if you finish school @40 - you still have to work at least another 25+ years. That's definately long enough to be make it worth your trouble.

I just finished my first year at UConn. I'm 35! Heading to dental school is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. It's tough, but I'm having a great time. Margaret

MUSC is big on one thing - in state residency!!! Im a grad student at Indiana University and the hardest thing I had to do to gain acceptance was to prove that I was still a South Carolina resident.

For my class - 2008 - there are about 55 slots and only five are for out of state!:)