Newbie needed some help on what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHaveGas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so im a senior in high school. Yes i know i have a while to go till I'm up there with all you big dogs. The thing that I'm wondering is if im destined for failure. I've been reading all through these forums and I'm noticing how competitive the career of an anesthesiologist is becoming. Im very interested in become an anesthesiologist though. I strive in school, and am a hard working student. I know im up for the challenges of med school and all the learning necessary, but will the need of anesthesiologists when it comes my time still be there? I read about how colleges are getting 700 applicants for like 16 positions. Do i even stand a chance in the future to become a anesthesiologist?

Please help an indecisive kid.

Members don't see this ad.

seriously, you stand a perfect chance. work hard, have fun, and worry about it in 7 years. the number of applicants and positions means NOTHING until you know what kind of applicant you will be- so just work on being a good one. (and seriously, don't forget to have fun).

Anesthesia is cyclical some years everybody wants to get into an anesthesia residency, other years they are closing residences because they can't fill them. It looks like we are at a peak now but I am not so arrogant as to say I can call the top or a bottom of a cycle.

As a senior you are 8 years away from applying to anesthesia residency. 8 years ago residency were closing because they couldn't find any residents. Other programs were paying 20K sign on bonuses. Big name programs were not filling and attendings were being forced to take resident's call. The same thing was happening with Radiology which has become even more competative that Anesthesia. There is no way to know what the situation will be in 8 years.

As a high school student, I think you need to focus on getting in to college and getting the best grades you can in college. If you decide to go to another graduate school good grades can only help. You might want to consider a college major that allows you to have a career at graduation in case you later decide medical school is not for you. I never even dreamed I would go into medicine when I was in high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finish your senior year, and work hard to get good grades in college. It's really too early to commit yourself to anesthesiology. Step by step young padawan. Take collge science classes, see if med school is something you want to try, take MCAT, see if you got a good shot of getting in. Hopefully, you get in med school on your first try (Not a guarantee). Study hard in med school...so on and so forth

Again just aim for good grades in your next 2 and a half years of schooling. Reassess afterward. Nothing else you do at this point can really tell you if you have what it takes to be an anesthesiologist.

Don't worry too much about stats like "700 apps for 16 positions". Realize that many of us are applying to 40+ programs, yet will only match one. For the most part, U.S. grads who want a spot in Anesthesiology get a spot in Anesthesiology. I don't have the numbers, but I think out of the total number of U.S. applicants to Anesthesiology, gretaer than 95% will match (or scramble) into spots.

Believe me, getting into medical school is much more difficult, from a numbers standpoint. Lately, I think there is actually less than one spot for medical school for each two applicants. That means less than half of all med school applicants are accepted.

It's been mentioned, and I think you understand, that you should worry about med school first. Getting into med school will be harder, and more stressful, than getting into Anesthesiology.

Thank you all for the input, please keep it coming.

And yes i also was looking at the competitiveness of med schools. I no i still have around 4 years to go but i want something to compare myself too. What are good gpa's and mcat scores that will surely get me into a good med school.

Thats one of the reasons im going into the medical field instead of teaching english.;)

Alright so im a senior in high school. Yes i know i have a while to go till I'm up there with all you big dogs. The thing that I'm wondering is if im destined for failure. I've been reading all through these forums and I'm noticing how competitive the career of an anesthesiologist is becoming. Im very interested in become an anesthesiologist though. I strive in school, and am a hard working student. I know im up for the challenges of med school and all the learning necessary, but will the need of anesthesiologists when it comes my time still be there? I read about how colleges are getting 700 applicants for like 16 positions. Do i even stand a chance in the future to become a anesthesiologist?

Please help an indecisive kid.
Hey kid, great that u are planning ahead but I think it is way too early for u to be worried about this. Just study hard like you say you are doing and get into a very good college first. Inotherwords one bridge @ a time bro

Focus on finishing high school. Enjoy your senior prom. Have fun on your senior trip. It's good that you have plans, but don't get too ahead of yourself. Don't give yourself too much to worry about. Besides, it's waaay too early for you to know for sure what you want. And this field may be totally different in 8 years.