Newbie International Dentist needing advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tobedr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All,

I just recently graduated from India with my DDS degree. I have two research publications thus far. I am planning to complete my TOEFL, NDBE Part 1,2, and bench exam by middle of next year. I will have close to one year of work experience when I apply. I would like to apply for the 2-3 year program in Dentistry.

Before I start investing my money, I would like to the current scenario and ask for suggestions from veterans around there.

Questions
==========

1) I am not planning to get married (meaning no H-4 dependent). So, I can come only on F1 visa. If I get admission to 2/3 year program, I will have tough time to get the F1 stamping since they will ask a question why I would need to repeat dentistry in USA after getting a degree from India?

2) Some folks are pursuing MPH etc. Is MPH a proven way to get the visa and then dump it and go for 2/3 year program in dentistry by switching I-20? If this is true? Can someone tell or PM me with the list of schools who do not need GRE? Or easy to get into?

3) I am not planning to take GRE at all, does this hamper my chance of getting admissions?

4) What are the best schools to get into for the 2/3 year program? What are my odds at BU?

5) Upon completing the 2/3 program, can I switch from F1 to H1 and get the LPR? WHat is the process? Is marriage the only solution for this?

6) Does any one know of any state where you can practice by completing the AEGD program and pursue H1 sponsorship?

Thanks you so much,

Dr. Deepa

Members don't see this ad.

First of all lying to authorities is a bad idea.
Before everything else make sure you can enter the US legally and have a quarter mil $ to pay for your education and living
You are too optimistic about your exams
One year of experience is not enough
Not a lot of schools care about research
Competition for graduates from India is much higher, be prepared for a long road
GRE is required even by on line schools
In order to stay in the country legally after IDP graduation you may have to work for a few years in a place serving poor people. Basically the place where no one else wants to work