Newbie...can someone please verify my MDM to appropriately bill 99204 for all new patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
maybe.

but if, as per his statement, "continue gaba or rx nsaid prn", upcoding based on this seems an overreach.

2 stable diagnoses gets you to level 4 on problems, but by itself without complexity and minimal risk, only gets you to level 2.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe.

but if, as per his statement, "continue gaba or rx nsaid prn", upcoding based on this seems an overreach.

2 stable diagnoses gets you to level 4 on problems, but by itself without complexity and minimal risk, only gets you to level 2.
Sure, the e and m guidelines are subjective. I can reasonably defend billing a level
4 based on what was written in the note. So long as the detail is in the note, I think it’s reasonable. But could definitely argue a level 3.

Hi all, am I counting the number of MDM "problems" in my encounters correctly?

Patient 1: lumbar radiculopathy and knee osteoarthritis: 2 chronic problems
Patient 2: lumbar radicuolopathy and obesity (counseling provided/referred to obesity clinic): 2 chronic problems
Patient 3: lumbar spondylosis and sacroiliitis: 1 chronic problem
Patient 4: lumbar spondylosis and depression/anxiety (no meds given, but counseled on importance of managing depression/anxiety in treating chronic pain): 1 or 2 chronic problems?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can make every patient as granular as you want and really say almost anything is uncontrolled/with progression/acute exacerbation. For all the above it's easy to rack up as high as you want (more than you have). The key is documenting each item with that language.

Reactions: 1 user
yes. 2 problems.

dont forget not only treatment plan but document ICD-10 code for each of those problems.
for example, M54.16 and M53.3, or M47.816 and F06.31