new zealand..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon stewart

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can people with have finished HS and done thier HSC in australia go to school in new zealand to study medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

jon stewart said:
Can people with have finished HS and done thier HSC in australia go to school in new zealand to study medicine?

Yes.

However neither New Zealand med school have direct entry from high school. You would have to come over here to do medical intermediate year, either in Otago or in Auckland to be considered for admission.

In fact, I think it is more straight forward to get into medical schools in Australia as a school leaver. Before everybody flings abuses at me, I got into both UNSW and Auckland med schools as a school leaver in 2000 (long time ago).

I wonder why you want to come over here. If you think it would be easier to get into med schools in New Zealand, please think again.

sjkpark said:
Yes.

However neither New Zealand med school have direct entry from high school. You would have to come over here to do medical intermediate year, either in Otago or in Auckland to be considered for admission.

In fact, I think it is more straight forward to get into medical schools in Australia as a school leaver. Before everybody flings abuses at me, I got into both UNSW and Auckland med schools as a school leaver in 2000 (long time ago).

I wonder why you want to come over here. If you think it would be easier to get into med schools in New Zealand, please think again.

its pretty hard to get into med school in Aus, you need pretty high HSC results to get into medicine. Is it possible to study medicine in aus if you HSC results arnt that great? Is there any alternate route?

Members don't see this ad :)
jon stewart said:
its pretty hard to get into med school in Aus, you need pretty high HSC results to get into medicine. Is it possible to study medicine in aus if you HSC results arnt that great? Is there any alternate route?

I think it is possible if you pay full fees. If you have a foreign passport, you might be able to try out that route.

sjkpark said:
I think it is possible if you pay full fees. If you have a foreign passport, you might be able to try out that route.

could you go to new zealand to study medicine if you hsc marks are low?

jon stewart said:
could you go to new zealand to study medicine if you hsc marks are low?

In a word, no.

Neither medical schools in New Zealand (Otago and Auckland) accept people directly from high school. You can do medical intermediate year at both schools, which is open-entry, i.e. if you meet the minimum university entry criteria, you will be offered a place.

However, you will need nearly straight A's in medical intermediate year and great UMAT scores in order to be admitted to medical schools (which start from 2nd year of University). I know at least half a dozen people who got straight A's and UMATs in 80s and 90s who still didn't get in.

I thought I told you this indirectly, but it is NOT easier to get into New Zealand medical schools. In some aspects it is harder. I know some people who went to Australian medical schools because they didn't want the pressure of medical intermediate years. I also know some people who I thought didn't have the snowball's chance of getting into New Zealand medical schools who were offered fee-paying places in Australian medical schools.

I think your best chances lie in Australian schools. Don't waste your time on this board and go and study your butts off and kick arse in HSC. And believe me, getting into medical school is NOT the hardest part. HSC is nothing compared to medical school (although you gradually get used to the workload).

sjkpark said:
In a word, no.

Neither medical schools in New Zealand (Otago and Auckland) accept people directly from high school. You can do medical intermediate year at both schools, which is open-entry, i.e. if you meet the minimum university entry criteria, you will be offered a place.

However, you will need nearly straight A's in medical intermediate year and great UMAT scores in order to be admitted to medical schools (which start from 2nd year of University). I know at least half a dozen people who got straight A's and UMATs in 80s and 90s who still didn't get in.

I thought I told you this indirectly, but it is NOT easier to get into New Zealand medical schools. In some aspects it is harder. I know some people who went to Australian medical schools because they didn't want the pressure of medical intermediate years. I also know some people who I thought didn't have the snowball's chance of getting into New Zealand medical schools who were offered fee-paying places in Australian medical schools.

I think your best chances lie in Australian schools. Don't waste your time on this board and go and study your butts off and kick arse in HSC. And believe me, getting into medical school is NOT the hardest part. HSC is nothing compared to medical school (although you gradually get used to the workload).

thanks for your help

do u live in nz or aus?

jon stewart said:
thanks for your help

do u live in nz or aus?

NZ

Only been to aus once in my entire life.

sjkpark said:
NZ

Only been to aus once in my entire life.

ah nice

yea i used to live in sydney for 11 years but now im in the usa...

Yes. I agree. I'm at Otago medical school and I personally don't think that our medical school is easier to get in than the Australian ones. But the trend in NZ is, that people to go to AUS for medicine instead!

Good Luck

So where are you planning to study medicine?

studentdr said:
Yes. I agree. I'm at Otago medical school and I personally don't think that our medical school is easier to get in than the Australian ones. But the trend in NZ is, that people to go to AUS for medicine instead!

Good Luck

So where are you planning to study medicine?

right now, idk prob US but i have about another 3-4 years before i apply, so i have some time. I miss Aus though..

Hey i thought of going to otago for health sciences too...
what year in med r u in?