New York -scope of pratice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bunion123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ill be starting at NYCPM this august and plan on working as a podiatrists in New York 7 yrs from now when i finish school and a PMs 36. What needs to happen between now and then that will allow me to work on the ankle? What can i do to help?

§7001. Definition of practice of podiatry.

1. The practice of the profession of podiatry is defined as diagnosing, treating, operating and prescribing for any disease, injury, deformity or other condition of the foot, and may include performing physical evaluations in conjunction with the provision of podiatric treatment. Podiatrists may treat traumatic open wound fractures only in hospitals, as defined in article twenty-eight of the public health law.
  2. The practice of podiatry shall not include treating any part of the human body other than the foot, nor treating fractures of the malleoli or cutting operations upon the malleoli. Podiatrists licensed to practice, but not authorized to prescribe or administer narcotics prior to the effective date of this subdivision, may do so only after certification by the department in accordance with the qualifications established by the commissioner. The practice of podiatry shall include administering only local anesthetics for therapeutic purposes as well as for anesthesia and treatment under general anesthesia administered by authorized persons.
I WANT THOSE WORDS OUT OF THERE!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a link to the bill:
capwiz.com/apma/ny/issues/bills/?bill=14916846

In the last two Sessions, the NY State Senate has passed the bill. However, the bill has failed twice in the New York State Assembly. It has never reached a floor vote in the Assembly. The issue is the Assembly Higher Education Committee - the Chairperson of that committee refuses to pass the bill onto the floor because if she changes one scope, she thinks all professions will put in for a scope change. Thus, she will not allow a scope bill to reach the Assembly floor, where it would probably pass, as it has in the house.

Thus, go make friends with Deborah Glick and tell her to let the Assembly vote on the matter so NY can catch up to the other 44 states in this country where podiatrists can treat the ankle and soft tissue to the knee.

Again, this does not affect your residency training in NY as you train under Orthopedists and are competent in the ankle after graduating NYCPM as well as residency.

She knows it will pass so she refuses to let it go on to the floor for debate. Talk about an abuse of power.
So why doesn't the NYSPMA either throw money at the person running against her? or just throw money at her?
Obviously im no political expert :laugh: but politics, at the end of the day, comes down to $$$$$$$

Members don't see this ad :)
The other 44 states were able to do it and the Orthos werent able to stop them.

What if i draft a letter stating our request, why we should be allowed to operate on the malleoli, and why she should stop being a hindrance and have it sent to her everyday and have other podiatrists send it essentially flooding her mail. Can she really ignore us for the next 7 years?

I saw some websites of NY Pods who offer ankle surgeries. What is the deal? If a patient sprains his ankle and visits a podiatrist in NY what exactly can the DPM do?

I saw some websites of NY Pods who offer ankle surgeries. What is the deal? If a patient sprains his ankle and visits a podiatrist in NY what exactly can the DPM do?

link?

Hmm strange...... And illegal? I havent taken LLA, but perhaps TARs don't cut into malleoli? (yeah... It definitely does though.....)

I believe their surgeries are done in NJ.

It is not hilarious that this profession cannot get a national scope bill passed or that the profession cannot rally enough to help the 6 states that still do not have ankle privileges.

Yes, ankle surgeries are performed across the river, because a doctor is allowed to do them in one state and not in another.

It is not hilarious that this profession cannot get a national scope bill passed or that the profession cannot rally enough to help the 6 states that still do not have ankle privileges.

Yes, ankle surgeries are performed across the river, because a doctor is allowed to do them in one state and not in another.

It might not be funny the scope is so limited in NY, but it is a little comical imagining this doctors having to travel to NJ, just to perform a surgery.

Not trying to start a flame war, but the idea that someone is legal on a certain side of the river but not the other a quarter mile away is, especially when it's undermined so easily.

Yeah it makes you wonder why states get to make that decision. So many people that work in NY travel from NJ every day; what is the point of them being two separate states except things like this, and taxes.