New York Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AntonRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a P4 in the middle of my rotations and am contemplating a residency somewhere in the big NYC... I've researched a few programs and have come across one that really interests me. Rather than emailing the director, I was wondering if any of you had heard how the program at New York Presbyterian Hospital was? I realize it's specific but I figured I'd give it a try!

Members don't see this ad.

NYP is a pretty renowned hospital so I would assume that their residency programs would also be pretty damn good. Not too sure if this reasoning follows through for every hospital though. It is one of the few hospitals in this area that offers transplant pharmacy, so Im sure that makes both their PGY2 and PGY1 (hoping to stay for two years) pretty damn competetive. Also since its such a big hospital (second biggest in the country) there are a ton of different units you can rotate through, which would probably make for a good learning experience. I hope to do a few rotations there my P4 year.

I'm a P4 in the middle of my rotations and am contemplating a residency somewhere in the big NYC... I've researched a few programs and have come across one that really interests me. Rather than emailing the director, I was wondering if any of you had heard how the program at New York Presbyterian Hospital was? I realize it's specific but I figured I'd give it a try!

My friend did his residency with NYP "X" years ago. You may hate me for being honest... but he was miserable there. He would get on average 2-3 hours a sleep a night due to the various projects and journal clubs he had to prepare/read up on. And even though he is a registered pharmacist, the pharmacists/preceptors there wouldnt treat him like an equal. He constantly had to prove himself (but seriously if he passed pharmacy school and NAplex he shouldnt have to prove anything to no one). He didnt get paid much, and what he got every week went to renting a closet in the city. After residency he had a really hard time looking for a hospital position (but finally landed one) even as a staff pharmacist in the city and he had too much pride to do retail because he felt that then residency was a waste.

ask yourself first off if you are doing residency for the right reasons. for him he did it cause he thought it would open more doors for him, but it really didnt. Do residency if you plan to do PGY2 or do academia, or want to become like a department head of a hospital or something.

Members don't see this ad :)

With regard to the pharmacy residencies available at NYP, there have been several incidents in the past couple of years where residents just quit the program because they were so miserable. The reasons for this are not entirely clear.
I know several people who did their PGY-1 residencies at NYP and their experiences echo what pharmagirlie had described in her post. Their program is extremely competitive because of 1) the name and reputation, 2) NYC location, 3) offerings of PGY-2 programs within the hospital.

FYI - Doing a residency anywhere in the NYC area will be expensive. Be prepared to, as pharmagirlie said, live in a closet.

I too know someone who did a residency there. While I'm not sure if she was miserable, it sounds like it wasn't the greatest use of the year.

I appreciate it guys/gals.... I've given it some thought and I'll still be attending midyear but I'm still not sure about a residency. Thanx for the heads up on NYP. It sounds like something I'm currently doing (to be honest) I'm burned out!:scared:

Wooow....don't mean to beat a dead horse but i might as well chime in. It's quite interesting. I too know of one person who did their residency there and complained the entire year they were there. I had always thought maybe this person was just being lazy and not willing to do much work, as one would think with any residency some work has to be put in anyway. But to hear similar stories does actually put it into perspective now. This person was very irritated during their time at the program and really couldn't wait to get outta there.....One thing I know is that from their complaints, I def didn't wanna have the experience they were having....that would suckkkk .....but most residencies entail hardwork tho...soooo I say research thoroughly....and get a first hand perspective before making any decision.

i did 6 months rotations at NYP Columbia and Cornell (actually 4 months, then i quit).. we worked outta the residents office and i would always see what they were doing and how their lives were..

they were miserable.. the residents hated the program at NYP.. one resident even did his entire year at NYP and NYP would not pass him, instead failed him after the year. he wasted a whole year as a resident and didn't even get credit for it..

take NYP off your list.. it may be attractive on the outside, but once your in, its the worst experience.. doing my rotations there was one of the biggest mistakes of my pharmacy career. i didnt' learn anything and i could have been doing better things instead.. i cringe every time i hear NYP now

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful. What do you feel about NYU Langone? Have you heard of anything about their program? I think it is rather new and not yet accredited though...

I definitely think NYP is do-able. I did three of my rotations there. In the middle of the rotations, I lost all financial support and had to work every night and that is what really killed me there.
One of my preceptors was actually almost never encouraging and very quick to point out any single mistake I made (which is usually appreciated, but with no positive note in her tune, the overall attitude was quite discouraging). She did not communicate her expectations well to me and then surprised me during final evaluations by stating all her expectations right then.
It is definitely tough for residents with everything they have to do. Although the residents would never admit this to me, they were miserable. They barely got any sleep. Some other discouraging factors are the high rent in NYC while still having low stipend (stipent~40k, rent is subsidized by the hospital, but still very high compared to other cities, especially because the apartment you get is near the downtown campus). The two hospitals are located diametrically opposite in Manhattan (Washington Heights and Upper East Side) and the commute during rush hour can go up to 1 hour, especially if you take their shuttle.
But that is just my two cents.

I definitely think NYP is do-able. I did three of my rotations there. In the middle of the rotations, I lost all financial support and had to work every night and that is what really killed me there.
One of my preceptors was actually almost never encouraging and very quick to point out any single mistake I made (which is usually appreciated, but with no positive note in her tune, the overall attitude was quite discouraging). She did not communicate her expectations well to me and then surprised me during final evaluations by stating all her expectations right then.
It is definitely tough for residents with everything they have to do. Although the residents would never admit this to me, they were miserable. They barely got any sleep. Some other discouraging factors are the high rent in NYC while still having low stipend (stipent~40k, rent is subsidized by the hospital, but still very high compared to other cities, especially because the apartment you get is near the downtown campus). The two hospitals are located diametrically opposite in Manhattan (Washington Heights and Upper East Side) and the commute during rush hour can go up to 1 hour, especially if you take their shuttle.
But that is just my two cents.

OMG.. sounds like the female preceptor my friend had while he was a resident there. She told him that he was getting on her nerves while they were on rounds and said something else very demeaning. (Personally I would cry in a corner being that I am a girl)... but he told her straight up that he didnt like her very much either... haha props to him.

OMG.. sounds like the female preceptor my friend had while he was a resident there. She told him that he was getting on her nerves while they were on rounds and said something else very demeaning. (Personally I would cry in a corner being that I am a girl)... but he told her straight up that he didnt like her very much either... haha props to him.

Haha, knowing almost all the clinical pharmacists there I can almost guess who this female preceptor would be. I don't think my preceptor would be that mean, but I know which one would be. Haha. Perhaps you know the initials?

Haha, knowing almost all the clinical pharmacists there I can almost guess who this female preceptor would be. I don't think my preceptor would be that mean, but I know which one would be. Haha. Perhaps you know the initials?

Hey. Haven't seen you on here in a while.

I'll ask my friend what her initials are next time I see him... or maybe Ill ask him to get an account on this forum so he can tell everyone what he went through..... But honestly from what he told me, it made me realize how Im happy with working in retail.

Unfortunately I'm having to scramble but I noticed this place had 2 positions open but is it really that bad? I dont mind hard work or a busy residency, but I can't put up with preceptors that are rude and that won't teach. Im wondering if this is the reason why there are 2 spots open.

Unfortunately I'm having to scramble but I noticed this place had 2 positions open but is it really that bad? I dont mind hard work or a busy residency, but I can't put up with preceptors that are rude and that won't teach. Im wondering if this is the reason why there are 2 spots open.

I've heard it's bad. Here is a good one. They didn't even offer my wife an interview and she matched at a great program. Now, those suck heads have 2 out of 4 positions open?! What does that tell you? They are any/all of:
-Egotistical
-Maniacal
-Poor in judgement of candidates
-A crap program based on match ranks

Residencies aren't necessarily all about the institution. While that makes a difference, what you make the residency will help define you later.

I actually interviewed there this past february. They have at least 1 resident drop the program per year. Their PGY2 programs are outstanding, however their PGY1 program has a horrible reputations, as you can see... and rightfully so.

Anyone else heard anything about other New York Hospitals??

Hi everyone-
Was searching the archives....anyone know if the 2 unfilled positions for PGY1 at NY Presby have been filled? I am still unmatched.......Really in need of a quick reply.......

Most residency programs start in ~2weeks. My guess is that it filled right after the match.

yeah, it looks like they filled their positions. Judging by some of the comments that I am reading, sounds like either people like to complain or maybe this program isn't really that strong. Are the residents that are being referred to above the same people, or are they different residents?