New Walgreens pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxmc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I accepted an offer from Walgreens today for a sp8 floater position. However it was just a standard offer letter that only stated the salary and nothing about benefits, vacations, sick days, etc. I searched on SDN and have found pretty useful information regarding those.
But I still have so many random questions that I don't want to bombard the district assistant with so I'm hoping someone on here that has worked/currently works for Walgreens can help me out and not laugh at my silly questions!

1. How do you get notice/find out about your schedule, usually how far in advance do floaters get their schedule? How does the company determine who gets to work on holidays? (lottery system?)

2. How do you request time off or use sick days? phone vs online system requests?

3. I'm not a new grad but am new with the company. Do I still get the 80 hr training? If so, do I get paid grad intern or pharmacist money for the 2 week training period?

4. Does Walgreens provide any drug info/database look up system at work? EX: access to Lexicomp, Clinical Pharmacology, pharmacists letters, etc.

5. What is the umbrella system like for Walgreens? (I have heard that store managers are ranked higher as pharmacists?) I'd like just a basic overall ladder from technician all the way up to district manager or supervisor if possible.

6. How does the company communicate with the employees or how do the district managers keep everyone on the same page. Are there work emails or conference calls etc.

7. Does Walgreens have a cheap drug list like the $4 walmart list or the $9.99 Rite Aid savings program?

I have worked for a different chain previously so Im hoping it won't take me too long to adjust to a new system. There are just so many things that every company does differently! For anyone that has had to switch jobs to Walgreens, did you find it easy to adapt or was it a difficult transition?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Market scheduling, depends on your scheduler but probably 1 to 2 schedules minimum (2 to 4 weeks), lottery

2. Market scheduling, some schedulers are more relaxed though

3. Not certain on this, I've never asked my trainees. I want to say regular pay but a new pharmacist can confirm.

4. Yes, anything that is required will always be supplied.

5. Your store manager is your boss but you should have a good relationship with them and they won't bother you. Your rxm will do your review and the dm is above everyone and you should see that person about twice a month.

6. Compass for most things and emails. There should be weekly conference call.

7. Walgreens savings club, $20 per person or $35 per family per year. Not worth it if there's a walmart etc.

8. Oh there isn't an 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to call in sick, you need to call before 10am. (If your shift is morning, you have to call the store manager or if not able, district manager- or go in to work at call before 10am to get off early)

They usually release schedules 2- pay periods ahead of time.

For floaters, you don't really have to join in on conference calls that much just pay attention to COMPASS, store emails, and whatever the managers tell you. And yes they are technically you're boss (higher than you) but in my mind that's good because most of the time if a customer creates a problem, you let them deal with it while you focus on other patients.

In saturated area, you don't know your schedule until the day of. If lucky to get hours. lol