[New to SDN] Question about retaking a class.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asking Alexandria

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
It is my first semester of college and tomorrow we have to pick our classes for our second semester. I received a C in Calc I and I am planning on going for a DO because #alternativemedicine. Anyway, I read somewhere that for DO they take your second grade when you retake a class. Is there any truth to this? My Chem grade was less than stellar. I managed to pull out a B-. Those are my only math and science class this semester. If I retake Calc I I won't be behind in my classes to graduate in 4 years. I just don't want to start off with a bad GPA. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Think about retaking the C later if you need to boost up your GPA, otherwise 1 C will never keep anyone out of medical school, DO or MD alike.

Move on and get mostly A's and you'll be fine.

Hi,
It is my first semester of college and tomorrow we have to pick our classes for our second semester. I received a C in Calc I and I am planning on going for a DO because #alternativemedicine. Anyway, I read somewhere that for DO they take your second grade when you retake a class. Is there any truth to this? My Chem grade was less than stellar. I managed to pull out a B-. Those are my only math and science class this semester. If I retake Calc I I won't be behind in my classes to graduate in 4 years. I just don't want to start off with a bad GPA. What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks!

Retake Calc I, do NOT retake chem. A B- will not kill your chances.

Also #alternativemedicine?

the DO curriculum is the exact same as the MD, you will learn conventional medicine with the addition of OMM. Outside of this you will be able to take a course in alternative med and perhaps precept at a alt med clinic but you will rotate in real medical clerkships.

Perhaps consider colleges of naturopathic medicine if alternative medicine is your calling.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is what summers are for. I suggest you retake both. Though a B- is not horrible, this is general chemistry and its a pre-req course. Things will get harder from here so I recommend you focus and study for your classes. Gen chem 2 is harder than gen chem 1 and organic chem will be harder. If you are getting a B- in gen chem, then you may struggle in organic chem so try to retake these easier classes and attempt an A. Gen chem grade is weighed the same as organic chem grade in your science gpa so having low grades in both will be bad (assuming you will not do well in organic chemistry and retakes of organic chemistry are harder than retaking gen chem) Since you are a freshman I will forgive the alternative medicine quote....learn about osteopathic medicine asap if this what you are interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
and start shadowing (MD and DO, variety of specialties if you can) and volunteering (clinical and non-clinical)!

It only has to be a few hours every month or so of each and you'll be a great applicant in 2 years.

This is what summers are for. I suggest you retake both. Though a B- is not horrible, this is general chemistry and its a pre-req course. Things will get harder from here so I recommend you focus and study for your classes. Gen chem 2 is harder than gen chem 1 and organic chem will be harder. If you are getting a B- in gen chem, then you may struggle in organic chem so try to retake these easier classes and attempt an A. Gen chem grade is weighed the same as organic chem grade in your science gpa so having low grades in both will be bad (assuming you will not do well in organic chemistry and retakes of organic chemistry are harder than retaking gen chem) Since you are a freshman I will forgive the alternative medicine quote....learn about osteopathic medicine asap if this what you are interested in.

I think it depends on the person, OP.

I found both chem 1/2 to be harder than orgo 1/2.

Last edited:
typically organic is harder than gen chem, but beyond that i think you are grasping at straws. some people get different teachers for gen chem I vs II and same for orgo, so i feel like it's hard to say that one semester is harder than the other... not to mention some people are just better at some topics than others.

anyway, i don't think i'd retake gen chem officially. that doesn't mean you can't go through a gen chem book and do another mini course. you could use mcat prep materials if you wanted to. at this point, i just don't think it's necessary. if you needed the GPA boost, then yes but at this point you don't NEED it as you have a lot of time left to improve that GPA.

plus, why pay hundreds, or over a grand depending on costs per credit hour, to retake the course when you could learn the same stuff on your own?

I found organic chemistry WAY easier than general chemistry. It depends on what your strengths are. I love puzzles and conceptual thinking, and orgo to me is more or less a series of complex puzzles. I hate math and formulas, and gen chem has a lot of that, so it's more difficult for me. Gen chem II was especially difficult.

I also think someone with a humanities / social sciences / maybe even art background will find organic chemistry easier and more enjoyable than someone who is a science major (generally speaking). The analytical thought processes you learn in those majors help a lot with a course like organic chemistry. No data to back this up, just my own hunch. I know that in my orgo classes, the few of us with non-science backgrounds tended to do better than those with science backgrounds.

Last edited: