New School v Established

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Zoidberg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so in terms of RESIDENCY, does it matter if you went to a brand new school? For example, will those in CUSOM who are the inaugural class of 2017 have a harder time getting into their desired residency just because the school is brand new? I'm not talking about the risk of grades being bad because its new etc etc. I'm asking if a school is seen as "better" by the residency people if it's a bit older. For example how would a NYCOM or an ATSU-SOMA graduate be viewed as opposed to a CUSOM or ACOM graduate? Or it doesnt matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I think how well you did in medical school and doing away rotations will far outweigh the school attended. The main thing is to go to a school that provides a vast amount of opportunities and caters to your learning style.

there is no evidence based data that can conclusively answer your question.

...but if you are looking for an answer that coincides with the SDN circle jerk: always pick the school with the most prestige so you can brag to your friends at your high school reunion. will that girl in AP bio who rejected you from prom be more familiar with _____ or _____?

Members don't see this ad :)

...but if you are looking for an answer that coincides with the SDN circle jerk: always pick the school with the most prestige so you can brag to your friends at your high school reunion. will that girl in AP bio who rejected you from prom be more familiar with _____ or _____?

Haha, loved the answer.

Ill add myself to the lot who say its up to you. But, there are schools with more in house residency positions than others, which can give you a slight edge at those spots. But, especially with DO schools, you have to look at each program separately. There is no blanket statement that can describe your chances for residency at new vs established schools.

Haha, loved the answer.

Ill add myself to the lot who say its up to you. But, there are schools with more in house residency positions than others, which can give you a slight edge at those spots. But, especially with DO schools, you have to look at each program separately. There is no blanket statement that can describe your chances for residency at new vs established schools.

This.

Also, check out the discussion here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=987665

lol yeah I guarantee you that not one of my friends knows the difference between one DO school over another, or even the names of them (except KCOM regionally, and only in pre-med/health circles)

I would not be surprised if this was the case with some PDs

thanks guys! so basically school is what you make of it! (unless you want the fancy name on the diploma)...of course if you end up moving in Europe a "New York" diploma looks better than other states since everyone heard of New York (all those movies) :laugh: but I guess I have to research the hospitals where rotations take place and see what programs they have...CUSOM seemed amazing as a school though and although SOMA and NYCOM are choices for me, I might take the 'risk' and go to the new DO school

SOMA is a new program essentially. It's up to you mang. If you are a boss at CUSOM it will carry you farther than being decent and expecting someone having heard of NYCOM to make up the difference.

lol yeah I guarantee you that not one of my friends knows the difference between one DO school over another, or even the names of them (except KCOM regionally, and only in pre-med/health circles)

I would not be surprised if this was the case with some PDs

:thumbup: Exactly. DO schools have no ranking (Im personally glad USNews keeps their frivolous equations to themselves and away from DO programs) so DO PDs would have little to base their judgement on if they even cared to begin with. ACGME PDs, it sounds, don't know the difference between DO programs anyways since their names are generally from unrecognizable places.

:thumbup: Exactly. DO schools have no ranking (Im personally glad USNews keeps their frivolous equations to themselves and away from DO programs) so DO PDs would have little to base their judgement on if they even cared to begin with. ACGME PDs, it sounds, don't know the difference between DO programs anyways since their names are generally from unrecognizable places.
I can imagine an exception to this would be local programs. PDs in Chicago are probably somewhat familiar with CCOM. The difference is that this is not cross-country. A PD in Chicago probably knows nothing about PCOM. Also the state programs probably get a little boost locally. OUHCOM is well known and regarded in Ohio.

But as I said, you'd be better off going somewhere new and getting great scores and LORs than being average and expecting your DO school's name to carry you. DO schools don't really have a brand name.