New Resident - Career Planning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngmanMD

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
New doctor starting anesthesiology residency soon...any advice on career planning/strategy during residency? Things to start thinking about or planning for job/fellowship?

Thank you everyone, looking forward to learning more.

Members don't see this ad.

New doctor starting anesthesiology residency soon...any advice on career planning/strategy during residency? Things to start thinking about or planning for job/fellowship?

Thank you everyone, looking forward to learning more.

If you are able do Roth IRA and contribute to your retirement plans.

Reactions: 2 users
invest in retirement plans especially any that match.
Learn. Learn learn. Stay in good graces with attendings.
After a year or two when you decide more on what you what to do. Doors will be open and people will want to help you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your reputation is established very early and will stick with you.

So for your first 3-6 months, put in the extra work. Be a team player.

It will pay dividends for you for the rest of your residency

Reactions: 9 users
Your reputation is established very early and will stick with you.

So for your first 3-6 months, put in the extra work. Be a team player.

It will pay dividends for you for the rest of your residency
100% true. Except that I'd say that the extra work should probably be put in all the way through the end of your CA1 year. And ramp it up each time you start a new subspecialty rotation.

If you have a good rep, and screw something up in a way that harms a patient (because you will do this eventually), people will give you the benefit of the doubt and say "(s)he's a good resident who made a dumb mistake. They'll learn from it"

If you have a bad rep when something goes badly, you will be seen as "a danger to patients" and as a resident who "functions below their peers." Every decision you make will be critiqued and looked at under a microscope.

I was fortunate to have a good rep, but watched a classmate get reamed early on for some dumb things that (s)he had to work 4 years to dig out of.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
The above is excellent wisdom. It's all a manner of perspective and opinion in residency. And you will make a big mistake(s) at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
One thing I tell early residents is that they should try to get abstracts accepted to the ASA meetings. They’re easy to do and they get you involved in scholarly activities early. Plus by going to the ASA meetings you can meet and network with other people.

The thing is, there’s a lot of lead time involved, so it’s best to think about interesting cases or topics you can write up with an expectation that it’ll be several months to a year in the future when you write it up / submit.

Reactions: 2 users
Good advice above^^
I’ve only been an attending for 5 years, but some things I have found valuable:
-Take a job where you’re doing a wide variety of your own cases.
-White cost investor “attending waterfall buckets” is pretty fool proof way to start out, financially.
-Pick a group made of colleagues who will be willing and happy to help you out.
-Ask for help early before you get yourself into any sort of trouble and try to become as aware as possible of your own ego in your decision making. “It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble, it’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so.
-Be aware of how things are done/handled in your group-from managing potentially difficult personalities to the handling of difficult cases.
-Don’t rush. If you’re simply feeling rushed, that can sometimes be the same thing.
-I’ve never regretted placing an endotracheal tube, arterial line, central line or asking for help in starting a case.
-I think being an anesthesiologist is sometimes a lot like being an umpire-if everything goes well and you’re good, people won’t notice much, but if anything goes wrong, all eyes are on you.
-The earlier you get as much capital into tax efficient investment vehicles, the faster your $ will begin to do some heavy lifting. It’s hard to beat dollar cost averaging into VTI or VOO. Lifestyle creep can happen easily and life seems to be a series of curveballs in many situations.

Idk if this is super obvious stuff, but it’s just what came to mind. Good luck-this forum has always been helpful to me in a lot of ways provided you can tune out the noise and focus on listening to advice from people who get it.
JM

Reactions: 5 users