New Rankings for 2008-2009: Any Surprises

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AuDTNStudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just found out :thumbup: about the updated Audiology rankings a couple days ago and was wondering if any one else has heard. here are the new rankings, according to [FONT=georgia,palatino] U.S.News & World Report
.[FONT=georgia,palatino]
.[FONT=georgia,palatino]http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/aud/search

Note: These rankings are based on surveys of professional, faculty, and students on several different factors.

Was anyone surprised, in a positive or negative way, by where their program placed?

I found it interesting :idea: that a lot of schools I applied to (thinking of them as unranked) turned out to be equal to or higher ranked than some of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All,

I just found out :thumbup: about the updated Audiology rankings a couple days ago and was wondering if any one else has heard. here are the new rankings, according to [FONT=georgia,palatino]U.S.News & World Report.

[FONT=georgia,palatino]http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/aud/search.

[FONT=georgia,palatino]Note: These rankings are based on surveys of professional, faculty, and students on several different factors. .

[FONT=georgia,palatino]Was anyone surprised, in a positive or negative way, by where their program placed?.

[FONT=georgia,palatino]I found it interesting :idea: that a lot of schools I applied to (thinking of them as unranked) turned out to be equal to or higher ranked than some of my top choices. .

I was really surprised by UNC's ranking. My mentor over last summer (who is a rather well-known name in the field) had said it was mid-range as far as audiology programs go. I applied and visited campus for an interview and decided it was my first choice and then I saw the latest rankings and realized it was higher up on the list than Purdue, which I applied to just to see what happened (ie not ever expecting to get in). Although rankings aren't always the most accurate measure of quality, I doubt I'll get accepted to UNC at this point.

SLP is here, for those that are interested:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/slp/search/

I don't apply until this fall, but looking at that list, it seems like I (inadvertently) picked a good mix: one top, three middle, and two lower-ranked programs. I've basically already given up on Northwestern before I start, though. I don't understand how their website can say they accept 40-50% of students! How can that be true for #2? As if. I have a good GPA and a great GRE score, but so will everyone else and all their other qualifications are probably better, since I'm not even a SLP major. Oh, well.

Maybe that's how they have 40-50% acceptance. People like me throw in the towel and don't bother (not that I will actually do this, it never hurts to try) and the pool is self-selecting. :laugh:

I've gotta quit reading the pre-med board so much, their anxiety is contagious.

Members don't see this ad :)
SLP is here, for those that are interested:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/slp/search/

I don't apply until this fall, but looking at that list, it seems like I (inadvertently) picked a good mix: one top, three middle, and two lower-ranked programs. I've basically already given up on Northwestern before I start, though. I don't understand how their website can say they accept 40-50% of students! How can that be true for #2? As if. I have a good GPA and a great GRE score, but so will everyone else and all their other qualifications are probably better, since I'm not even a SLP major. Oh, well.

Maybe that's how they have 40-50% acceptance. People like me throw in the towel and don't bother (not that I will actually do this, it never hurts to try) and the pool is self-selecting. :laugh:

I've gotta quit reading the pre-med board so much, their anxiety is contagious.

Last edited:
All these rankings mean jack. The best school is the one that fits your needs. What of the schools with no ranking whatsoever? I could never understand this. Are they somehow less important? :confused:

All these rankings mean jack. The best school is the one that fits your needs. What of the schools with no ranking whatsoever? I could never understand this. Are they somehow less important? :confused:

For the most part, I agree. You could shuffle the top dozen or so without it making much difference. It's the chairs + one other faculty member from CSD departments around the country who rate the programs anyway...and most of those are SLPs and not audiologists! However, I think the lowest of the rankings are on the mark.

Finding the program that matches your interests and needs is the most important thing. Visiting and talking with current students has been really helpful to me...that's how I've found out what the program is REALLY like.

And, like it or not, the program's reputation means a lot when it comes time to find an externship and a job down the road.