New program in Las Vegas - does anyone know anything about it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GC-DR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
New program in Las Vegas - does anyone know anything about it?
Thank in advance

Members don't see this ad.

New anesthesiology residency program in Las Vegas, Nevada
Whitney Walker • 1/26/18

Sunrise-Hospital.jpg

Consider looking into the HCA Sunrise Health GME Consortium Anesthesiology residency program at MountainView Hospital in Las Vegas, Nevada. The program is pending approval, with a scheduled January 29 – 30, 2018 ACGME Review Committee for Anesthesiology meeting date. This program will likely be participating in the 2018 NRMP Match, with a short interview window. If you would like to find out more information about our future program, please reach out to:

Tina Brechlin, C-TAGME
Program Coordinator, Graduate Medical Education
Anesthesiology Department
HCA | Sunrise Health GME Consortium
[email protected]
P 702-962-9563 | F 702-962-5534
2880 N. Tenaya Way, 2nd Floor, Las Vegas, NV 89128

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm. Can you say . . . cheap labor.

thanks for the input, but my wifes fam is from Vegas so i wanted to try stay there.
Because i'm overseas i don't really understand, why do you say cheap labour?

thanks for the input, but my wifes fam is from Vegas so i wanted to try stay there.
Because i'm overseas i don't really understand, why do you say cheap labour?

Residents are the cheap labor. Outside of training resident the cost of having a residents is cheaper than a physician or a CRNA.

Residents are the cheap labor. Outside of training resident the cost of having a residents is cheaper than a physician or a CRNA.
Just don't train them then. Ez.

The cost savings aren’t quite what you’d think - remember instead of covering 4 rooms with mid levels you can do no more than 2 with residents. So while less CRNAs are needed more physicians are required. There’s data on this somewhere, but I’m not entirely sure what the net effect is - but I am sure HCA has crunched the numbers and is doing whatever is financially advantageous.

The cost savings aren’t quite what you’d think - remember instead of covering 4 rooms with mid levels you can do no more than 2 with residents. So while less CRNAs are needed more physicians are required. There’s data on this somewhere, but I’m not entirely sure what the net effect is - but I am sure HCA has crunched the numbers and is doing whatever is financially advantageous.
I'm sure they crunched the numbers. What did they do? They opened up a residency.

why do you say cheap labour

As stated above, residents are cheap. An AMC's primary goal is profit. That goal doesn't really align with the primary goal of a residency which should be education. Buyer beware.

As stated above, residents are cheap. An AMC's primary goal is profit. That goal doesn't really align with the primary goal of a residency which should be education. Buyer beware.

Exactly this.....instead of learning the ins and outs and different methods of performing anesthetics, they'll only care about you doing things as quickly and a proficiently as possible. So instead of a resident learning blocks, you'll either not do them and GA everyone, or the attending will take all your blocks when you're taking too long. That's not education, which as Salty said, is the purpose of a residency.

wow thats so ****. I can't believe they actually train people like that.
So how would i know if a place is like that or not

Agree with all the warnings above. Even if they had the purest of intentions (doubtful in this case), there will be a lot of issues to sort out the first few years of any new program. Getting a fellowship or job coming from a new and untested program is also going to be challenging at best.

Members don't see this ad :)

my brief attempt at those numbers from 1000 feet high and making generalizations...

To cover 4 rooms

option A) 1 d0c + 4 CRNAs
option B) 2 docs + 4 residents

Residents are basically free labor. The hospital gets paid something like $115,000 per year (exact number varies) per resident from Medicare funds. This covers the residents salary and benefits as well as partially offsets the costs of someone teaching them. So if you pretend your total doc costs are $400K per year and your total CRNA costs are $200K per year...

option A costs $1.2M per year
option B costs $800K per year

You can tweak the numbers however you want, but the fact that residents are free labor to a hospital means they are always the cheaper option (can't beat free). Throw in that you can get them to work like 60 or 70 hours per week instead of 40 for the CRNA and it's even better.

Reactions: 4 users
wow thats so ****. I can't believe they actually train people like that.
So how would i know if a place is like that or not

It's not always the case........but I would stay away from any residency that doesn't have the word "university" or "college" preceding or following it (or isn't affiliated with an institution using the same rule, ie MGH/BW with Harvard). Again, it's not always the case but a safe start. I guess it's too bad UNLV doesn't have a program

my brief attempt at those numbers from 1000 feet high and making generalizations...

To cover 4 rooms

option A) 1 d0c + 4 CRNAs
option B) 2 docs + 4 residents

Residents are basically free labor. The hospital gets paid something like $115,000 per year (exact number varies) per resident from Medicare funds. This covers the residents salary and benefits as well as partially offsets the costs of someone teaching them. So if you pretend your total doc costs are $400K per year and your total CRNA costs are $200K per year...

option A costs $1.2M per year
option B costs $800K per year

You can tweak the numbers however you want, but the fact that residents are free labor to a hospital means they are always the cheaper option (can't beat free). Throw in that you can get them to work like 60 or 70 hours per week instead of 40 for the CRNA and it's even better.

Add in the fact that LV is historically an MD only town, and the math is even more favorable.

How does the MD part factor in, and what about the DO school Touro right there in LV?

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

I was saying that practices in LV have historically been MD only - as in no CRNA's. By "MD" I mean docs doing cases solo. Has nothing to do with MD v DO.

When you go from 4 docs covering 4 rooms to 2 docs and 4 residents, you save even more money than if you were 1 doc covering 4 CRNA's.

I was saying that practices in LV have historically been MD only - as in no CRNA's. By "MD" I mean docs doing cases solo. Has nothing to do with MD v DO.

When you go from 4 docs covering 4 rooms to 2 docs and 4 residents, you save even more money than if you were 1 doc covering 4 CRNA's.
Ohhhhhhhh. Hahaha. That makes much more sense.

Side note, I worked for an HCA hospital and literally everyone felt like meat for the grinder.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Basically best way to increase profits for business companies is to create more residents. Immediate cheap labor and also create more future anesthesiologists this increasing supply and lowering salaries/benefits

I personally think Anes residents are the most valuable residents. If a hospital had no medicine residents they can still have the same number of attendings. Not true for anesthesiology

what specifically do you guys want to know? can pm me if interested

Thanks eveyrone for the heads up i'll definitely take it under consideration when i apply.
I have to balance being an IMG and matching anywhere.
With matching somewhere with a university title.
And making my wife happy.
Its just very hard to tell what the true vibe will be come match time. I got a 232 on step 1 and have some good first author papers.
But its just hard to tell.

Be careful about Vegas. Very money driven.

However, Sheridan has nothing to do with it. USAP is who bought the largest group a little over a year ago. And now they are trying to close the hospitals to other doctors.
Quite frankly when the surgical residency started, I spoke to the guy in charge and the numbers he told me were not good. As in, too many residents.

The best place to start a residency out there would be UMC then Sunrise. Not Mountainview. When you have a residency run by a bunch of private docs, whose end goal is the bottom line, how can teaching mesh well with that?

But even at UMC, there are still plenty of private doctors. The whole system needs an overhaul. However, there are plenty of otherresidences there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks eveyrone for the heads up i'll definitely take it under consideration when i apply.
I have to balance being an IMG and matching anywhere.
With matching somewhere with a university title.
And making my wife happy.
Its just very hard to tell what the true vibe will be come match time. I got a 232 on step 1 and have some good first author papers.
But its just hard to tell.

It can be your last ranked program. At least an AMC will hire you when your done.

Thanks everyone for the input. Seriously, appreciate it.

Basically best way to increase profits for business companies is to create more residents. Immediate cheap labor and also create more future anesthesiologists this increasing supply and lowering salaries/benefits

I personally think Anes residents are the most valuable residents. If a hospital had no medicine residents they can still have the same number of attendings. Not true for anesthesiology

this may be the most important statement on all SDN. i've said for years that we graduate way too many residents in Anesthesiology (but as Salty is explaining, i understand why we have so many residents)