New PPS Format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inverness2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new PPS format makes you send a cover letter to each place that you want to interview with. You also have your available times listed on a schedule, and the jobs/programs can automatically schedule time with you. Any thoughts on the new format? My own thoughts are that the cover letters takes away some of the informality of PPS. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

this is my first time using PPS, and I was surprised that they required cover letters, and I'm now also surprised to see that this was not done in the past. Any thoughts as to why they may have added it?

I was surprised to see the cover letter as well. I wrote the cover letter and put some really good thoughts in it. I kind of felt like that took some of those ideas that I planned to put in my letter of intent. Not all programs are using the scheduler. We confirmed interview times, but only 2 of the 8 interviews have actually confirmed it on the scheduler.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was surprised to see the cover letter as well. I wrote the cover letter and put some really good thoughts in it. I kind of felt like that took some of those ideas that I planned to put in my letter of intent. Not all programs are using the scheduler. We confirmed interview times, but only 2 of the 8 interviews have actually confirmed it on the scheduler.

LOL I feel the same way. Now if I end up applying to any programs that I interview for at PPS I feel like I'll have to re-do my letter of intent for the real application.

If you don't see a program's name in the PPS site, does that mean they don't offer interviews or are their slots just all booked up?

Anyone else not doing PPS for pgy2?
Once upon a time, I had a co-resident who didn't do PPS for PGY2. The program was local and she was able to meet with them during a regional residency showcase; granted, it was an unaccredited program at the time, with then-future plans to seek candidacy. Another friend did the same thing during her PGY1; but this PGY2 program (also unaccredited) was located within the same health-system as her PGY1 (different site, 1-2 hours away).

Individuals who have early-committed to PGY2 programs at their residency sites have also skipped out on PPS, albeit as you know, it is increasingly the norms where programs will encourage residents to see what other options are out there (really a two-way street).

Otherwise, the rest of the 20-25 folks whom I know completed a PGY2 registered with PPS.

Getting worried I guess. I submitted 21 interview request since October 22nd and have only heard back from 12 programs. Others haven't said anything at all yet. You can look and see if someone read your request on the site so I don't know if they just don't want to interview me.

I would think they would at least say "hey, we're not interested. Thanks anyways!" But I don't know what to expect as I didn't do it last year. Maybe then have like a million requests though and going through each one carefully.

Getting worried I guess. I submitted 21 interview request since October 22nd and have only heard back from 12 programs. Others haven't said anything at all yet. You can look and see if someone read your request on the site so I don't know if they just don't want to interview me.

I would think they would at least say "hey, we're not interested. Thanks anyways!" But I don't know what to expect as I didn't do it last year. Maybe then have like a million requests though and going through each one carefully.

Or, they haven't gotten their acts together yet. I was the Midyear Coordinator at my PGY2 program and maintaining "THE BOOK" of appointments when your site has 13 residency positions to interview at PPS was no small feat; all during rotation, too. Also sometimes, the individuals reading/composing the PPS messages are not the ones actually attending the meeting; so you have to give them a little bit of time to plan/discuss between themselves.

I wouldn't worry too much about it; 12 is a solid number. You may also want to consider following up with them if you haven't heard back in 1-2 weeks; just in case there was a mix-up. The worst they could tell you is, "no, we filled up" right? And if it's a dream-program, you can offer to meet up with them outside of PPS/in-between sessions, pending their availability. Definitely try to stop by their showcase.

Thought I replied to you, but I don't know where it went to! Anyways, thank you for the information!

I'll give it some time before I worry, and you're right. I had a lot of replies stating the information would be forwarded to the appropriate person. I'm just getting worried. I really want this PGY2! I was glad though. I had one program tell me I was an excellent candidate, and I had one that contacted me for an interview first. :D

I was wondering, how do you find out if they have read your request? Is it through the messages mailbox? Thanks!

I was wondering, how do you find out if they have read your request? Is it through the messages mailbox? Thanks!

Yes. Click on the outbox tab on top of the messages. If the little envelope is open, it means they read it. If it's closed, it means they haven't. :)

question: to those of you who have participated in PPS in the past, what did you bring with you to interviews?

question: to those of you who have participated in PPS in the past, what did you bring with you to interviews?

-Bring updated copies of your CV and bring enough - some programs won't take paper CVs (they want to avoid having to bring reams of paper back home), but many programs will and you don't want to look unprepared by telling folks you 'ran out' when asked to provide a CV
-Bring suits, professional clothing
-Bring enthusiasm, excitement
-Bring good and pertinent questions to ask the interviewers
-Bring preparedness; this goes without saying but for those who need a friendly reminder, you don't want to be asking obvious questions; do your research of the program beforehand
-Bring a portfolio to organize your notes; it helps to write a few thoughts down in-between each interview. I don't know about you, but usually by the end of interviewing with 15-20 programs, they all start to blur
-Bring lots of pens; especially if you're in the habit of losing them like yours truly

What kind of questions should you ask?