new pcat scoring system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exliontamer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows anything in regards to the new PCAT scoring system. I know that the new range is from 200-600 with the mean being 400, while the old system was 100-300. I can't find any stats on what a competitive score would be under the new system. I even checked the pcat website. Does anyone have any idea?? I am taking mad diagnostics, but the problem is that I have no idea what my score even means.
thanks
Kirsten

Members don't see this ad.

Not to get off the subject of your question, but how are you taking mad diagnostics? I guess I haven't been able to find a program with diagnostic-type scoring. If you have any insight, please help someone who is in need!

As for your initial question, per the PCAT candidate information booklet:
"...The scale used for the PCAT ranges from 200 to 600,
with a median of 400 (i.e., a scaled score of 400 corresponds to the 50th percentile). In addition to scaled scores, your Score Report will list five subtest percentile scores and a Composite percentile score. The percentile score shown on your Score Report indicates the percentage of PCAT examinees that made up the norm group?all first-time examinees who took
the test between October 1998 and March 2003?with scaled scores equal to or lower than yours. For example, an examinee who earns a Composite percentile score of 70 scored equal to or higher than 70% of the examinees from the norm group on the test as a whole."

The PCAT website has practice diagnostic tests which have the same type of questions, but are shorter than the actual test, which is scored. They cost $17 per test though. :( I am also enrolled in a Kaplan course, which gives full diagnostic tests that are scored. The only problem is that the PCAT course is pretty new to Kaplan and I'm not sure if they have the new scoring system down because I read in one of their books that the mean is 400, but a score of 430 is in the 90th percentile. That doesn't sound right to me, does that sound right to you?
Thanks for the other info.

I personally think a 90% seems high, but then again, I don't know about this scoring system. Do you think the $17 is worth it for the practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
I do think the money is worth it, I only wish the test were longer, like the actual test. I don't know what materials you are using, but I found that the Barron PCAT prep practice tests to be much easier than the Kaplan and the tests on the PCAT website. I've heard that the actual test is more like the Kaplan practice test, than the Barron. So I guess what I am saying is that if you are using Barron you should supplement it with different materials. I hope this helps. Good luck with your studying. :)
Kirsten

I called the PCAT testing center today and I was told that any composite over 430 is considered competitive, though she did not know if 430=90 percentile. Just to let you know.
Kirsten

Ok I don't know anything about the PCAT and am probably really confused/wrong about this but if the percentile is based on the scores that day then how could anything correlate to 90%? I mean sure on average i could see how that typically happens but to say for sure?

have they changed the way they do percentiles too? like 600=100% 300= 50%?

bbmuffin said:
Ok I don't know anything about the PCAT and am probably really confused/wrong about this but if the percentile is based on the scores that day then how could anything correlate to 90%? I mean sure on average i could see how that typically happens but to say for sure?

have they changed the way they do percentiles too? like 600=100% 300= 50%?

The composite score, which ranges from 300-600 is computed from the scaled score and the percentile score. The scaled score is based on the number of correct answers, while the percentile score represents the placement of the students scaled score in the total pool of test takers. In other words the percentile score indicates the percentage of applicants whose score was lower than yours. The relationship between the scaled score and the percentile score is not linear, ie 600 doesn't equal 100% and 300 doesn't equal 50%. In most cases a small increase in scaled score produces a much larger movement in percentile score. I hope this helps.
Kirsten

exliontamer said:
The composite score, which ranges from 300-600 is computed from the scaled score and the percentile score. The scaled score is based on the number of correct answers, while the percentile score represents the placement of the students scaled score in the total pool of test takers. In other words the percentile score indicates the percentage of applicants whose score was lower than yours. The relationship between the scaled score and the percentile score is not linear, ie 600 doesn't equal 100% and 300 doesn't equal 50%. In most cases a small increase in scaled score produces a much larger movement in percentile score. I hope this helps.
Kirsten

yeah just as i thought...... doesn't make sense...
so do most schools look at your composite or your percentage b/c everyone always says "i got a 90% on my pcat". or they won't look at you below 85%

Hi all! I really wish they would better inform people about changes in the test! (besides just sending e-mails advertising the $17 practice test) I took the PCAT in March last year and they were already on the new scoring system. (The 50th percentile is around 400 I believe...430 IS around the 90th percentile)

Hope this helps!