New Organization

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cavalier329

I began an organization with the ultimate goal of establishing a first response agency to offset the increasing response times of the local rescue squad.

However, before a first response agency can be established, I need to show a support base which is why i created the organization.

The philosophy of the program is essentially focused on public health and safety of the college community. I have already scheduled 2 speakers: 1 is a combat medic and the other is an an ED physician who will be focusing on the importance of PAD.

I am also looking to encourage community CPR...so I will be having monthly CPR classes free for the community.

What are some other ideas which you think would attract members but also benefit the community?

Members don't see this ad.

You want to make an additional first responce agency? Good luck.. What would be the purpose? Who would fund it? Who would they work for? How would they get paid since they are not transporting patients?

I don't think its possible to offer free AHA CPR classes, the AHA takes a cut from every cert that gets issued, so someone somewhere is going to have to pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
What state are you in? I helped start something similar to this at my undergrad school. Shoot me a PM I will give you what advice I can. It is a tough long road trust me. But you can't just offer CPR classes you have to be an instructor and set up everything through either AHA, red cross or any number of other organizations that are out there. And if you just want to offer CPR on your own you open yourself up to huge liability.

My CPR classes will be taught by an up-to-date trained and certified AHA CPR instructor who is certified at many CPR levels. He has kindly decided not to charge me for 6 person courses at a time because he agrees with the organizations mission and feels its something the community needs. I have also found 2 additional individuals at the medical center who are willing to help make the classes free.

This, however, isn't the focus of my thread. I am aware of many of the obstacles associated with what I am doing, as this has been in the works for a number of years. I am just looking for some ideas for my public health and safety organization.

Thank you

This has been done at many Universities in FL. They are set up as student run clubs with a faculty run sponsor. Here is a link http://www.dmoz.org/Health/Public_Health_and_Safety/Emergency_Services/Medical/First_Responders/
your idea is not new so you should be able to see what many different schools have done. I can tell you that you need to associate with the college as a club or something to take liability off you. Here is the group that I used to be part of http://www.tshc.fsu.edu/fru/welcome.htm. You have a good idea getting started take a look around a see what others have done. But you are going to have to get the "MY" thing out of your head, you will need a group of sponsors and if you are going to get this thing going you will not be able to be the sole person in charge.. The school is going to want some control, you should also check with your campus police department they were very helpful to us, giving us radios and such..http://www.ncemsf.org/resources/links/showlinks.ems?category=999

right now, its just me. I am having a meeting the first week of this academic year and will be posting the jobs which the organization will require. From there, I will choose motivated, dedicated people and I will have much much more help.

I say "my" because right now it has been just me, however I am dying for help so Im looking forward to it becoming a team of responsible, driven, people. The organization will hopefully be affiliated with the first due-FD...the liability issue is something I have already checked into.

I have also contacted the police department who is willing to help us with the proposal, however, it would be too early to begin asking for anything. A relationship must be built first and they must know we are serious

Thanks for the links. Hopefully things will work out nicely in the next few years.

Like I said though, a true first response agency is still a few years down the line. Right now, I am looking to build a support base and come up with some activities we can offer as a public health and safety organization (aside from CPR and guest lecturers)