New MHA not Accredited yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bronco7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a question that has been brought up several years ago for a different school, but the person went a different direction in their post than what I'm experiencing.

I have a bachelors in business and worked in corporate business for a few years and now I'm wanting to get into health administration in hospitals/clinics. I have no plans on a doctorate.

The local university has an established/decent MPA program with health policy and administration concentration, and that program is fully accredited by the MPA/MPP accreditation (NASPAA).

The same university is starting a brand new MHA program this fall 2013. I'm looking to go back in fall 2014. The program plan looks pretty solid, but it is not accredited yet by CAHME. It says online that they designed the program to be accredited, but I guess they need to wait.

I'm fairly confident the school will gain accreditation in a few years, but should I just go the safe route and go for the MPA? The only problem with that is the MPA is more focused on health policy, which I don't want as much.

If the MHA program is accredited by CAHME after I graduate, will my master's mean the same?

Thanks for the help!

B

Members don't see this ad.

One other question that may solve my uncertainty is this. Will an MPA with health concentration be an effective degree for hospital/health administration jobs? Looking at the ACHE administrative fellowships, it seems they list MHA, MBA, MPH, or other equivalent degree. Would that mean an MPA?